IGNORED

Purchased an Atari 5200 almost blind.. Tips?

goldenpp72

Hello everyone, i'm new here as you can see but I do post on a lot of game sites under the same handle. In the past I had only planned on collecting on the 2600 and I have a pretty decent feel on that, but then I got into the Jaguar and Lynx and decided well, why not go for the rest? While I have not taken the plunge on a 7800 yet, I found a decently priced lot for the 5200 with all the original cart boxes and stuff and decided to take the shot.

If all goes well, I should have around 20 games to start and the system/controllers are supposedly very unused, but having been a collector for almost 8 years the rumors and issues about this system are still pretty persistent throughout the internet. I picked up the original model with the unusual breakaway power cord/AV hybrid as I was told this model allows use of ALL 5200 carts without issues. 2600 BC isn't important since I have a lot of things that can play those.

So with all that said, I did a lot of browsing on this forum to see if I can find info but being really new to this system, find a lot of things people talk about a bit beyond my current understanding. First off is of course the controllers, they are known to fail and I am not a handy guy at all, I have read that a site called best electronics sells refurbished ones that are made to last, but how long do they really last and will servicing them routinely still be a requirement? Are there other good alternatives to know about that might be cheaper or more simple to deal with? I saw a video once of some kind of controller that had a break away wire so you can use a different stick while still having a 5200 pad hooked up for the pause function as example.

Another topic I read mentioned something about needing the 5200 system calibrated and i've never heard of such a thing until now, any heads up?

Otherwise i'm not really sure what to all be worried about on this system, any tips or advice going into this will be very helpful to me. I plan on collecting about 50 of the officially released titles for this system and stopping there, then i'll move on to building a 2600 and 7800 collection over time when funds allow. It seems like a fun but complex system and I wanted to touch bases with the more inclined and hopefully become a part of the community over time now that i'm planning on collecting on this companies array of systems. Thanks for any help!

Welcome aboard! Hope you find the 5200 is right for you. Many of us here are big fans.

Please read through this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240600-want-to-take-the-5200-plunge;-lend-me-your-knowledge/page-1 where we just answered a lot of basic 5200 questions for a new user.

Expect that the controllers you get will need some service before they will work. I personally feel anyone, tech-savvy or not, can fix them without a great deal of trouble or expense. This thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/149614-atari-5200-analogue-controller-repair/ explains one method. I would follow it, except I would recommend krazy-gluing bits of aluminum foil (preferably punched out with a standard hole puncher) to the rubber contacts instead of using the conductive pen, as that material can flake off. You can also usually skip the foil for the bottom keypad... those buttons usually don't get enough wear to be problematic like the other ones are.

As for calibration, yes, it's possible you'll need to open up the 5200 and adjust a potentiometer in order to get the controller working in all directions correctly. Again, not really a big deal. Don't worry about it unless you find you need to.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions!

Little late for that one save2600, lol. For the other response, why is there a (potential) need to open up the system to calibrate it? I don't think i've ever heard of such a thing before. I'm curious what the design issue is I guess to help better understand what I might be in for.

Edited by goldenpp72

Little late for that one save2600, lol. For the other response, why is there a (potential) need to open up the system to calibrate it? I don't think i've ever heard of such a thing before. I'm curious what the design issue is I guess to help better understand what I might be in for.

The calibration is due to the analog nature of the controllers. Sometimes, a user will find that the controllers seems to 'pull' to one side or another, or that they can't get it to move in one direction at all. Typically, it isn't a problem with the controller itself, but instead a potentiometer inside the 5200 needs to be adjusted slightly. It's really not at all hard to do, and once done, you probably won't have to ever do it again.

I bought a 4 port 5200 pretty blind as well ... didn't have to tinker to much with it ...cleaning controllers is about it

some 91% rubbing alcohol & q-tips to clean all contacts inside controller & the carts themselves

I'm very happy with the system although the proprietary switch box only seems to work on channel 4 now

I did find Boxpressed articles here http://retroauction.com/buying-and-selling-an-atari-5200/very helpful as well

let us know when you get it all up and running & welcome to the site :D

I bought my 5200 a few years ago and I have not regretted in the decision one bit. When buying a 5200. Keep in mind it is going to cost some money and breaking the piggy bank.

1. Controllers. The controllers are known to fail. Whether playing or in storage. It is due to the carbon residue that will cover the cell membranes. It is an easy fix. Just unscrew everything and with a tiny flat head pry the bezel around the top buttons off (start, pause, reset). Clean the flex circuits up there, the numeric areas, and fire button areas with a qtip and some 91% alcohol. It is a temporary fix and will last a few months. But the best route to go is getting the gold plated Best Electronics controllers. They have larger black silicones which enhance the lifespan and durability of the controller. But the gold one lasts forever! And will last a lifetime. I have never had any issues or malfunctions with these controllers. And I bought 2. Mainly because of Robotron 2084 and Space Dungeon.

2. Trak Ball Controller. Serious collectors for the 5200 will reccommend the trak ball controller. That is a no brainer yes. It works for a good chunk of the library. Centipede, Missle Command, Pengo, Pole Position, Defender, Super Breakout, Space Invaders, Realsports Football, Realsports Tennis, Realsports Soccer, Galaxian, and Tempest. The buttons on the controller work great. But sometimes the trak ball will run a little wonky. Just open it up and clean all the lint and debris. Grease the bearing shafts and a little soap and water on the cue ball.

3. Games. There is about 70 original games for it. The prices run very low with the exception of Bounty Bob Strikes Back. That is the only grail of the system. A lot of them are excellent. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Joust, Robotron 2084, Space Dungeon, Pengo, Dig Dug, Centipede, Missle Command, Berzerk, Gremlins, Kangaroo, Popeye, Star Wars Arcade, Frogger, etc. Also for about $120. You can go to atarimax.com and order the 128 in 1 SD multicart. It has all the original games, prototypes that were never released, some 8 bit computer conversions, and download rom files into it. A great choice and everyone here will reccommend it.

4. Console: As you know the 4 port comes with the proprietary switchbox. Where the power and rf cable plug into. The fires are not true :lol: just a small harmless spark. These can get finicky over time and may need to be rebuilt or replaced. The 2 port has the standard rf cable to coax to tv and the power plugs into the unit. Since it's a 4 port all the games will run on it. Pitfall, Mountain King, and Krazy Shootout won't run on the 2 port model. The VCS adapter only runs on 2 port and 4 port models with a * in the serial number. Those were short produced.

Best gold controllers run for $45. You can ship a controller there for them to do it for $30. Order the parts for $15.

Trak Ball controllers run from $30 to $40 if not complete in box

Atarimax SD cart is about $120

With all that it is $200. Not counting the system and lot. It is like maintaining a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Bear in mind. Best Electronics website is primitive and ran on a low budget. There is no online checkout. You can only email or call them. Calling is the best way, Bradley who runs Best is a busy guy and does almost everything himself. I suggest calling and if he isn't there, just leave a message and he always returns your calls.

Hope this helps, and I hope you pull the trigger. The 5200 is a fantastic piece of 80's gaming. I guarantee you will enjoy it. And also welcome aboard to Atariage! :)

• Like 3

The calibration is due to the analog nature of the controllers. Sometimes, a user will find that the controllers seems to 'pull' to one side or another, or that they can't get it to move in one direction at all. Typically, it isn't a problem with the controller itself, but instead a potentiometer inside the 5200 needs to be adjusted slightly. It's really not at all hard to do, and once done, you probably won't have to ever do it again.

You can also get the same result with adjusting the pot handles inside the controllers. This usually happens when using controllers rebuilt and calibrated on a system set different than yours. It is easier to do inside the system if getting a consistent result from all your controllers.

What's it like having a golden pp? Must be hell at the airport.

Anyway! The 5200 is a guilty favorite of mine. I like it better than the ColecoVision because the graphics are smoother and more colorful. The controllers are a bit of a problem, but you can use a PC gameport (not USB) joystick with a fairly simple adapter, or an adapter for Atari and early Sega controllers. As mentioned, there's a calibration pot inside the system, which strikes me as a tremendous oversight on the part of the designers, but between its immense size and its legendarily awful controllers, Atari 5200 isn't exactly known for its engineering brilliance anyway.

Here, have some old reviews I wrote. They'll give you a pretty good idea of what to buy and what to avoid for the system. By the way, games tend to be fairly cheap for the Atari 5200 and the software library is fairly small, so you shouldn't have too much trouble collecting for it.

http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz/atari%205200.htm

• Like 1

I just recently joined the ranks of the fans of the 5200.

Best Electronics is the way to go for the 5200 controllers. My advice is just replace the buttons and keypads with their gold plated ones. It's cheaper and usually that is what is wrong with the controllers. However, $45 bucks isn't really bad when you see the prices of other controllers for other systems.

Qix is a must!! Very addictive game. Dreadnaught Factor is cool too.

• Like 1

What's it like having a golden pp? Must be hell at the airport.

Anyway! The 5200 is a guilty favorite of mine. I like it better than the ColecoVision because the graphics are smoother and more colorful. The controllers are a bit of a problem, but you can use a PC gameport (not USB) joystick with a fairly simple adapter, or an adapter for Atari and early Sega controllers. As mentioned, there's a calibration pot inside the system, which strikes me as a tremendous oversight on the part of the designers, but between its immense size and its legendarily awful controllers, Atari 5200 isn't exactly known for its engineering brilliance anyway.

Here, have some old reviews I wrote. They'll give you a pretty good idea of what to buy and what to avoid for the system. By the way, games tend to be fairly cheap for the Atari 5200 and the software library is fairly small, so you shouldn't have too much trouble collecting for it.

http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz/atari%205200.htm

I'd say there was a lot of engineering brilliance on the 5200. First console with a dedicated Pause Button, and built into the controller for that matter. ZIF cartridge slot. First auto-switching RF modulator. The idea to run the power through the RF cable was first done by RCA but Atari did it to minimize the number of cables exiting out of the console not only for aesthetic purposes but also because so many mothers had complained in market research about tripping over all the cables exiting the back of the gaming consoles then [since the kids generally placed their game systems on the floor back then]. First analog joystick for a video game console. The flex circuit was a first [it's the carbon contacts that are the problem]. The last minute design of the Piggyback Parasite 2600 adapter and how one engineer figured out how to make it work with 4-port 5200s when everyone thought they'd wasted $2 million plus on a design that wouldn't work. Dan Kramer designing the Trak-Ball in his spare time basically after-hours and then finally getting management convinced to do the version that both right and left handed players could use [he hid the other prototype Trak-Balls so management would forget about them].

What wasn't brilliant…the product manager who wouldn't listen to his engineers about offering 2600 compatibility from the start. The carbon contacts and the lack of self-centering with the joystick itself. Switching to a 2-port model. Not forcing Atari's in-house game programmers - like Howard Scott Warshaw - to concentrate first on the 5200 instead of the 2600. Waiting until 1982 to get a replacement for the 2600 out the door. Not putting read/write lines on the cartridge port. But other than all of that, it's a total kick ass system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I appreciate all the tips here. I'm really enjoying the Atari 5200 from an aesthetic and game standpoint, though only one of the controllers.. kind of works. I wanted to ask if I could get some advice on this because i'm quite confused. The solution using Best, how does it work? Do I order the parts and do the replacements myself, or do I send my controllers in for them to do it, or do I have to just buy a fully refurbished controller from them?

The site is pretty difficult to navigate but i'd love to beef up both of my pads so they have longevity. I now I have about 20 games for the system, and i'm hoping to jump on the 7800 soon too.

• Like 1

Call them and order over the phone. If your joysticks are working fine, just clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and pop in the replacement buttons from Best.

One trick on reassembling the controllers...put them back together holding it upside down. The number pad stays in place and the joystick seems to line up easier.

• Like 2

Hey guys, I appreciate all the tips here. I'm really enjoying the Atari 5200 from an aesthetic and game standpoint, though only one of the controllers.. kind of works. I wanted to ask if I could get some advice on this because i'm quite confused. The solution using Best, how does it work? Do I order the parts and do the replacements myself, or do I send my controllers in for them to do it, or do I have to just buy a fully refurbished controller from them?

The site is pretty difficult to navigate but i'd love to beef up both of my pads so they have longevity. I now I have about 20 games for the system, and i'm hoping to jump on the 7800 soon too.

The 7800 is another great system and reccommended to have in your gameroom/collection. One of the most under appreciated systems. But the fanbase is getting stronger and stronger. Once you get the 7800, do yourself a favorband get some games from the atariage store. You will not be disappointed. Bob DeCrescenzo is the 7800 guru and has made some phenominal games! The best homebrews are Frenzy, Pac-Man Collection, K.C. Munchkin, Asteroids Deluxe, Scramble, Moon Cresta, Jr. Pac-Man, Astro Blaster, and the brand new Astro Fighter. Do jump on the 7800, you will not regret it! :-D