IGNORED

Gorf

BassGuitari

This one's usually up for "Worst 5200 Game" but I like it. The way it controls reminds me of TRS-80 Color Computer games like Space Assault and Galactic Attack. Squirrelly and difficult initially but not too bad once you learn to control it. It's a little weird that you have to hold the fire button down when firing to bring the shield down to let your shots through in the Invaders level, but that feels like a fairly minor gripe. Otherwise it's got great graphics and distinctly Bally sounds, a nice mix of difficulty levels, and four out of five arcade stages isn't bad.

The one thing that drives me nuts about Gorf and all CBS 5200 games is that the cartridges all have upside-down labels. :P

Anyone else like Gorf?

I would enjoy it if it it wasn't for the wishy washy controls in the game. That has to be the most controller sensitive game I have ever played. Even I try to move the ship slightly and it's just too jittery and still impossible to aim your shots with no precision. Overall the graphics are well done, but too many bugs in the game make Gorf unplayable. The Colecovision is the far better version. I agree I don't like the Galaxians level being left out.

I realize more and more as I get back into the TRS80 CoCo that it plays a big part in why I like the 5200. I grew up with the Coco and the stock non-centering joystick. You learn to use it and come to like it. It is much the same with the 5200. The analog is a different feel, but you come to like it (or at least feel at home with it :-)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...