IGNORED

Tempest controls?

McCallister

I recently picked this game up and have to say, it is very nice. Graphics and sounds are outstanding, but the one issue I'm having is the controls. It seems that left is right and right is left, at lease on the joysticks I've tried. In order to even play passably, I have to turn my controller upside down. Does anyone know if this the normal operation for this game?

I should add, that other games seem to control normally.

If someone designed a rotary controller mod for a standard 5200 controller - like the paddle mods - that might be enough emphasis to convince some folks to come up with an update to 5200 Tempest to support it…or encourage others to convert A8 Tempest Extreme over to the 5200.

On some other thread, I mentioned using the 2600 Indy 500 Driving [Rotary] Controller for parts but others said there's better and easier alternatives.

I recently got both Tempest and Archon. Tempest works fine (and Im surprised the 5200 works as well as it does with it), but Archon isnt letting me select pieces on the board. Not much fun to play that way!

I'm thinking the occasional dud happens.

Do you have a 2-port or a 4-port 5200? I know for Archon on my 4-port, I have to plug the controller into port #2 to get it to work properly... have you tried this?

Thanks Cannibalcat!

Yes, i tried that thinking it might be like Wizard of Wor (using port 2).

I do have the four port. Its odd, the fire buttons dont work for player 2, and i know its not the controllers of the system.

Cartridge defect?

Oh, so player 1 works fine for you, just not player 2? Let me check mine...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5200 gold dot controller I modded with a 2600 paddle pot to make it a "5200 paddle controller". It works fine with the cart of 5209 tempest. It is sensitive though so you have to be gentle when turning the spinner.

So you are playing 5200 Tempest with a Paddle mod but obviously without 360 Degree Free Rotation, right? Have you tried it with Gyruss?

I would think Space Invaders would play better with a Paddle too.