IGNORED

Alternative to costly 7800 controllers

save2600

Wanted to share a purchase I made recently that I'm pretty impressed by. It's a 6-button 3rd party Genesis joystick with microswitches and rapid fire. Paired with the Seagull 78's, much cheaper solution than the random used NES joystick or whatever that's been modded, you typically see for triple the price. While they don't have a quantity gadget for this particular joystick, the company (cheapgamestuff) seems to have a bunch of them. I bought two and notice they quickly re-list each time. Maybe write to them before purchasing to see if you can purchase 2 or more at a time.

These joysticks are brand new, built well and are really comfortable to use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Command-Table-32X-Controller-Joy-Stick-Sega-Genesis-Control-Pad-Docs-CDX-/181825986548?hash=item2a55ac5ff4

...each one also includes a DB9 extension cable that happens to be AtariVox friendly too!

post-13896-0-07387900-1439240710_thumb.jpg

And then for another $2, you can get a brand new gamepad as well from the same people:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-6-Button-Controller-Game-Control-Pad-New-joystick-joy-stick-arcade-/171400665671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e8469a47

• Like 8

This is the one I use: http://imgur.com/n9tmTU8

I am going to be making an adapter (9 pin male end going to a 9 pin female end) that will switch the joystick directionals up to become down and left to become right. Then when it's connected to the Quickshot, if you turn the controller around 180 degrees the joystick will be on the right. The circle-shaped button pad can then be rotated 180 degrees to get the buttons into the proper position.

Hey- what can I say? I really like right-handed joysticks for games like Missile Command, Pole Position, and Centipede/Millipede.

I gotta admit... ditched my Euro CX78's after getting the Seagulls. ;)

I may have to invest in it. I also think the CX78 is a bit of a disappointment. I don't like the directional pad. Even with the screw on joystick it feels really stiff moving and without it, the directional pad feels slightly mushy. The objects you control in the games don't respond. A shame the Genesis controller couldn't really solve it due to a difference in the connector port plugs.

Just ordered the seagull78 adapter. Planning to use it with this 3 button Genesis stick. This stick already plays amazing with all the 7800 pacman games. But like others have said the adapter is needed for 2 button

games. Tired of having this stick either not work or just plain go into a seizure with all lights blinking(especially with Asteroids Deluxe) with no control response at all. If the seagull78 does as advertised then oh my gosh this

is gonna be legendary having this Genesis stick work with all 7800 games. :)

shapeimage_4.png

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 2

Just ordered the seagull78 adapter. Planning to use it with this 3 button Genesis stick. This stick already plays amazing with all the 7800 pacman games. But like others have said the adapter is needed for 2 button

games. Tired of having this stick either not work or just plain go into a seizure with all lights blinking(especially with Asteroids Deluxe) with no control response at all. If the seagull78 does as advertised then oh my gosh this

shapeimage_4.png

Have considered purchasing this stick on several occasions. Can't wait to hear your report on how well it works with the segull78 adapter.

Have considered purchasing this stick on several occasions. Can't wait to hear your report on how well it works with the segull78 adapter.

I'll be sure to drop in and give my two cents on how it all holds together. So damn damn excited for this adapter to play on all the 7800 games I own because this Genesis stick has an amazing feel. Should have it by the end of the week/weekend and will put it to the test.

I got the stick and the seagull adapter. So far it's not really working. Sometimes the joystick fires, can't get any movement from the joystick, and it seems to be perpetually on turbo even though the turbo is off...no response from the buttons at all, but it was doing this with and without the adaptor...it did work on Juno first for a while if I didn't have anything plugged into port 2 which was weird...Now it doesn't work on 2600 or 7800 games, very disappointed..when it did work I played my best game of Juno First on the very first play...I don't know what to do.

Am I the only one who noticed that the photos for the stick listing were taken over 100 years in the future? Stick does look cool though, but galagafirstdefender's experience is kinda turning me off...

By the way, DO NOT buy those 6 button pads. They're really REALLY horrible knock offs, like, half the size of the original and made of only the finest of cheap plastics. D-pad moves horribly, buttons feel awkward, and if there is a mode button (some do, some don't) it won't be wired in. The only thing they're good for is for taking apart and being used as a PCB in a homemade arcade stick, and even then I don't even think the mode button has a trace on the PCB.

I got the stick and the seagull adapter. So far it's not really working. Sometimes the joystick fires, can't get any movement from the joystick, and it seems to be perpetually on turbo even though the turbo is off...no response from the buttons at all, but it was doing this with and without the adaptor...it did work on Juno first for a while if I didn't have anything plugged into port 2 which was weird...Now it doesn't work on 2600 or 7800 games, very disappointed..when it did work I played my best game of Juno First on the very first play...I don't know what to do.

Dumb question, but are all the switches in the down (off) position? Maybe reseat them all a few times... who knows how long these have been sitting or where.

galagafirstdefender,

Youre using the same Sega 3 button fight stick? The same one I posted a picture of earlier on this page? I've tried it tonight with the adapter and everything plays fine. No problems with the games you mentioned for me. There was one game that sort of freaked out because the megafire button on the C button wasn't turned off. As a result using shields in Space Duel was weird, it would quickly turn the shields off. Once i turned off the megafire switch on the C button the shields behaved properly.

These are the games i tested with the Seagull adapter + Sega 3 button fight stick. All worked well with the adapter.

(ATARI 7800)

GALAGA

CHOPLIFTER

SPACE DUEL

DONKEY KONG

ASTEROIDS DELUXE

(The one game I was the most curious about. Before ordering the Seagull adapter this game use to spaz out badly,causing the shields and fire button to function nonstop when using the Sega 3 button fight stick.)

Now the game behaves fine with the the adapter.

ASTEROIDS

ASTEROIDS VE

These worked well also.

(ATARI 2600)

Jungle Hunt

Moon Patrol

I don't have allot of games like others do but if there's a game someone would like me to test I'll see if I have it.

Thumbs up so far. I've used it in the player one and also the player two ports,no problems. Good stuff!

galagafirstdefender,

Try your setup again and see if it performs better for you,with all megafire switches off. Or, its possible you have a bad fighting stick controller?

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

shapeimage_4.png

This controller is worth having just to play Space Rocks on the 2600 (it works stock with 2600 games that detect the Genesis pad). For some reason the turbo buttons tend to turn themselves on by default when plugged into an Atari. Best to turn them off unless you need it. Mine was a bit poorly working buttons when I got it. If yours is like this, open it up and wash the silicone pads and spray contact cleaner on the turbo slider pot and the button contacts. Scrub them with a q-tip to remove any oxidation and grime. Don't forget to treat the contacts under the Dpad as well (the arcade stick is really a giant Dpad underneath). If the joystick squeaks, lube the base of it with graphite being careful not to get any on the shaft as the stuff gets everywhere once you touch it. Petroleum lubricants will harm the plastic and silicone lubricants will harm the pads so a dry lubricant like graphite powder is the only safe option that I know of.

If someone has a schematic for this Seagull 78 adapter harness, i would like to see it. I typically do my own electronics mods. Thanks.

Also here's what I personally use on the 7800:

post-33189-0-78937700-1405638121.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever

I'm jealous of that! That is such a great looking controller. I don't think it'll fall apart anytime soon :)

Thanks for the recommendation of cleaning the Sega stick. Mine also turns on the megafire buttons by default so yeah I always try to turn them off before playing a game. I did experiment and leave them all on with the games to see if anything crazy would happen,only Space Duel gave me some problems until I shut off the mega fire switch over the C button,then all was foine.

As for my setup, The joystick on the 3 button Sega stick is abit loose,wish it had abit more of a focused,tighter feel,but its been bought and used from Ebay so its still doable for what it is. It does squeak so I'll open it up if I have enough nerve to and follow your instructions. Buttons and switches are fine so I shouldn't have to fool too much with this I guess. But I want to open it up and give it a thorough cleaning with q tips and the lubricants you mentioned. Thanks!

This controller is worth having just to play Space Rocks on the 2600 (it works stock with 2600 games that detect the Genesis pad). For some reason the turbo buttons tend to turn themselves on by default when plugged into an Atari. Best to turn them off unless you need it. Mine was a bit poorly working buttons when I got it. If yours is like this, open it up and wash the silicone pads and spray contact cleaner on the turbo slider pot and the button contacts. Scrub them with a q-tip to remove any oxidation and grime. Don't forget to treat the contacts under the Dpad as well (the arcade stick is really a giant Dpad underneath). If the joystick squeaks, lube the base of it with graphite being careful not to get any on the shaft as the stuff gets everywhere once you touch it. Petroleum lubricants will harm the plastic and silicone lubricants will harm the pads so a dry lubricant like graphite powder is the only safe option that I know of.

If someone has a schematic for this Seagull 78 adapter harness, i would like to see it. I typically do my own electronics mods. Thanks.

Also here's what I personally use on the 7800:

post-33189-0-78937700-1405638121.jpg

Hey thanks. The joystick really is built like a tank. I used 3/4 MDF so it weighs 4.6 lbs and is all but bulletproof. I have a Happ competition in there with an after market balltop handle.

I never had a squeaking problem with my Sega Arcade Power Stick so I never actually lubricated it. However I have experience with graphite from working with pinewood derby cars. Only apply it to the ball area at the base of the shaft. You really don't want to get it in places you can touch with your hands or use too much as it gets everywhere. Good thing the stick is black. :P

Finding a suitable lubricant for joypads is tricky though since plastic safe silicone lubricants will damage silicone molded pads in much the same way petrol lubricants would damage standard rubber. The silicone pads used in gamepads literally never wear out so it would be a shame to damage it. Standard joysticks that use microswitches can use silicone lube however.

sramirez2008, thumbs up from me. Order both the Sega stick and the seagull adapter, theyre the real deal. :)

Thanks for the update. I believe I'm sold on it. Sounds like it will play my favorite games (Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe and Space Rocks) without any issues.

Will pick one up soon.

Thanks for the responses folks, that stick looks great Stardust! Phoenix , the controller stick that I'm referring to is not the 3 button sega one, it's the Arcade Command stick 6 button (3rd party) from DOCs, from the first post in the thread. I've played with the turbo switches to make sure they were all in the off position. STill nothing. It fells like the signals are mixed up or something. The controller feels great, has microswitches and everything, it's just not responsive. I guess I'll have to find the 3 button or maybe the Ascii fighter stick and see if that works better, unless I can find someone to look at this thing.

Edited by galagafirstdefender