IGNORED

High Score Competition (Sep: Osotos)

arcadeshopper

That is weird. The Demon Attack on my FG99 has no speech but the dsk version does - played both on my same console.

The fr99 version is the disk version converted. The fg99 is the groms from the cart. I assume he's using the version that requires 32k.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

That’s a good score Omega! Especially for day one.

The game seems crowded to me due to the large characters and the narrow screen height in that big scale.

Why doesn’t the ship move down to the bottom of the screen? Again, seems to sport unnecessarily crowded gameplay. I keep wanting to maneuver my ship back a bit.

That music...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I reached Level 3, at first attempt, but I have played the game before. Score 6625

Real TI, which in my case is a PAL console, so it's 50hz. maybe this is why it is possible to defeat second boss?

Unfortunately I have problems in taking good pictures, the contrast of white characters on a black screen kills my photos. Any advice/trick to mitigate the problem?

I posted 3 shots, the first one is during the game, at approx 6500.

post-45282-0-86425200-1517572034_thumb.jpg

post-45282-0-32790400-1517572054_thumb.jpg

post-45282-0-09321700-1517572072_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

i do very much like the opening theme music of the game. personally, i find it easier to play via emulator/kb than on real iron/joystick but i'll keep trying both. :)

To me it seems that the game runs a tad faster on Classic99. Has anyone else gotten that impression as well?

To me it seems that the game runs a tad faster on Classic99. Has anyone else gotten that impression as well?

My impression is that at 50Hz Classic99 is same speed as real TI. However, Classic99 at 60hz is faster. And harder, so my score is like cheating.

The problem is that, not sure why, I enjoy much more playing with the real hardware! :-)

By the way, I got my previous score playing with an original cartridge, on a real PAL TI.

Anyway, even at 60hz level 2 is easier that BigFoot's level 6: still trying to pass through it!

Edited by Count9929A

The 50Hz vs. 60Hz interrupt rate has a much heavier impact than I believed. For instance, in Parsec I only got half as far with 60Hz as with 50Hz. Also, lift 2 became useful only with 60Hz, so it definitely changes gameplay and experience.

For the competition I'm always using the ti99_4a driver in MAME, not the one I usually take (ti99_4ae, e=European) to make it fair.

@Sinphaltimus, sorry I called you Schmitzi in the video. Senior moment... again!

The audio in this video is not the best, but my score improved in this third game, so I'm glad I recorded it!

What the heck? I'm going to have to record my gameplay. I get up to what you reached but I didn't get that big ship tiny invaders level, I got another level of yellow demons or something else but not that screen you got to...

EDIT I guess I never made it that far. I did this time recording a video - but because of all the vulgar language, I have to edit it down first....

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

My impression is that at 50Hz Classic99 is same speed as real TI. However, Classic99 at 60hz is faster. And harder, so my score is like cheating.

The problem is that, not sure why, I enjoy much more playing with the real hardware! :-)

By the way, I got my previous score playing with an original cartridge, on a real PAL TI.

Anyway, even at 60hz level 2 is easier that BigFoot's level 6: still trying to pass through it!

Classic99's CPU is a little fast. Over a weekend-long test pitting MAME and Classic99 against two real consoles, I verified it's at least within the 5% clock tolerance, but it's definitely fast. (I think I know why and will address that). The 50Hz I can't explain, except to note I'm surprised that still works, I haven't looked at it for a long time. :)

Alright sorry guys but I guess Demon Attack is buggy. Let's switch over to JetPac. The cart image below is for the FinalGrom but for some reason it refuses to load with Classic99. I have attached an alternative disk image, but you will need to use the TurboForth cartridge attached and not the one included with Classic99, again not sure why. Place the disk image in DSK1 and it will load automatically when you start TurboForth.

JS99er already includes JetPac, but the emulator does not support joysticks which I feel are necessary even though the keyboard is implemented as well.

Not sure about MESS, but maybe Michael can help here.

jetpac.bin

JetPac.dsk

turboforth122-8.bin

• Like 1

The cart image below is for the FinalGrom but for some reason it refuses to load with Classic99

How did you try to load it? It doesn't have any type identification in the filename, so you won't be able to successfully load it without editing Classic99.ini. The FinalGROM doesn't need to guess the filetype because it only recognizes one bank order, and I don't really want Classic99 to start guessing.

You can either create a Classic99.ini entry for the cartridge or just rename it to jetpac_8.bin to tell Classic99 it's non-inverted. ;)

• Like 1

How did you try to load it? It doesn't have any type identification in the filename, so you won't be able to successfully load it without editing Classic99.ini. The FinalGROM doesn't need to guess the filetype because it only recognizes one bank order, and I don't really want Classic99 to start guessing.

You can either create a Classic99.ini entry for the cartridge or just rename it to jetpac_8.bin to tell Classic99 it's non-inverted. ;)

Just as simple as renaming the cart huh? Well that was easy and it worked :) Thanks!

What about the issue with the dsk version and the TF included with the Classic99 distribution?

Please, enjoy.

SCORE= 3475

Single most enjoyable video of 2018! Thank you Sinphaltimus for making me laugh so hard. Awesome!

Why did they go into such great detail with the sprites only to muck-up the gameplay so badly?

There's no way this thing was finished when they shipped it. Maybe a quick knee-jerk release to get rid of some TI cases, or some contractual requirements filled with a half-baked game just before abandoning the TI marketplace?

I want to know the story here.

GREAT MOVE switching games this month. I am glad it came up because the short conversation was interesting.

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 2