IGNORED

At long last, I got my Genesis!

WeWantWaffles

Joyous helloes!

Behold my modernized, custom-made games that I am absolutely thrilled to show off ^_^ All games & labels were home made, with the front and back covers of existing games. In rare cases I used a custom cover somebody else made, and I also occasionally used fan art for the front covers of less attractive games. Before anyone lynches me for taking an original destroyed cartridge, cleaning it and replacing its half-torn label with custom ones: it's got the sega seal of quality, so you know it's good! I use an affordable upscaler with RGB scart and such to make it more bearable to play on a modern HDTV. Overall I am incredibly happy with how it looks, and I especially love how it sounds.

34fbq7l.jpg

n3nqbp.jpg

2zdua86.jpg

2e37uol.jpg

The secret ingredient!

This took me many hours, and after spending so much time designing these covers, printing them, and scraping off the old worn labels from chewed up cartridges, I can reveal to you that the secret ingredient is love. Amazing thanks to my mom for scraping the labels with me, to my brother being supportive and naturally curious, and to my long-distance BESTEST friend for motivating me and sending me these from the US along with a buncha chocolates! So much love.

Edited by WeWantWaffles
  • Like 9

Your dedication is extremely impressive as are the results! Congratulations! I must confess to an extreme dislike to using flat panel tvs for retro gaming and if I lived in Europe I would snatch a Bang and Olufsen crt with the remote and never look back.

Edited by LaserCat

I use an affordable upscaler with RGB scart and such to make it more bearable to play on a modern HDTV. Overall I am incredibly happy with how it looks, and I especially love how it sounds.

Yet still you can do better. Please set the TV aspect ratio to 4:3. Stretching a 4:3 picture to widescreen is worse than anything bad upscaling on HDTV can do.^^

Your boxes look very good. I still prefer the black grid style, but this is absolutely preferable to loose carts with torn labels. Very nice work.

I take back what I said in your last topic about how the red label designs were the worst ones. Your Alisia Dragoon custom job is glorious.

D'aww! Thanks!

you posted this on the 26th anniversary of the genesis

Omg.. I had no idea.

Your dedication is extremely impressive as are the results! Congratulations! I must confess to an extreme dislike to using flat panel tvs for retro gaming and if I lived in Europe I would snatch a Bang and Olufsen crt with the remote and never look back.

If I had room at all, I would have gotten an older tv but this is just fine for me.

"it's got the sega seal of quality, so you know it's good!"

:rolling:

Quote of the week right there! :D

Yeah! Like Awesome Possum, and Cosmic Carnage.. Slam City with Scottie Pippen (naturally), and all those wonderful FMV games that blew us away and are absolutely timeless and attractive and endlessly engaging!!!

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting the Genesis!! Hope you enjoy the library. I played the daylights out of that system from 1991-1997. Some of my favorites are of course the Sonic series, Earthworm Jim 1 and 2, Castlevania Bloodlines, Road Rash series, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, plus tons more. I really like the customized cases you did! :) And welcome to the next level! :grin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another example of how owning physical games is much cooler than downloaded content. That is a gorgeous collection.

^_^ Always nice to hear appreciation!

Care to tell which affordable RGB Scart you used? I am thinking about putting my Genesis on an LED Tv....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-Genesis-2-32X-CDX-RGB-SCART-cable-composite-video-sync-version-/161588265542?hash=item259f694246

There it is. Not as good as a classic CRT tv, but at least there's no hum. x

Here's some examples of the repros out there. I got some in both style cases. They work fine for games not using a battery save, but you must bevel the connector edge or they can crush the pins in cart slot.

All of them were around 4-5 usd shipped.

post-25215-0-00468000-1441496195_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. Many (most?) European CRT TVs support RGB through the SCART connector, which means they are an arcade monitor in disguise. I wish the situation were the same here in the US. There were never any consumer grade CRT TVs sold in the US with an RGB input. Even the CRT HDTVs that were made in the late '90s to mid '00s only had the poor man's version of RGB (YPbPr, AKA: "component"). Hell, until about the mid 1990s, run-of-the-mill CRT TVs in the US didn't even have composite inputs; they only had a bottom-of-the-barrel RF input. Meanwhile, Europeans have a cheap or free (a lot of CRT TVs are just given away these days), readily available supply of standard resolution RGB monitors disguised as TVs, which are a match made in heaven for classic consoles, and I find it bizarre that there are people over there who are into classic video games who don't take advantage of it.

I have 4 arcade machines from the '80s and early '90s (Super Punch-Out!!, Missile Command, Ikari Warriors, and Street Fighter II), so at least I still get to experience some classic video games in their native resolution on a ~15 kHz RGB CRT monitor. The latter 3 all have Happ Vision Pro arcade monitors which I bought brand new in the late '00s just before they stopped making CRT arcade monitors in general, and they are beautiful. They are still like new because I don't play them enough to put any noticeable wear on them. The Super Punch-Out!! machine has its original Sanyo monitors, which I have rebuilt to be like new (cap kits, new flyback transformers, a pair of burn-free picture tubes). When it comes to classic consoles though, I'm in the same boat as most other people in the US. My 32" CRT TV doesn't have RGB input of course (it has RF, composite, S-video, and YPbPr). I bought it new in 2005, and it is also still like new, and has an excellent picture, even with composite, but I still wish it had an RGB input.

If I had room at all, I would have gotten an older tv but this is just fine for me.

Make room. They aren't that big. Practically everyone used to own one. Get a CRT TV which supports RGB on the SCART connector; find one in good shape and keep it forever. It is the ultimate display for a classic console, and they don't make them anymore, and likely never will again.

Edited by MaximRecoil