IGNORED

DB9 female connectors without mounting 'ears'

Marius

Hi all,

Is there a source of DB9 female connectors without those parts left and right from the connector (with the screws). They look like 'ears' and IIRC it is called 'ears' but I'm not sure about that.

I want to fix some of my joysticks but the broader DB9 connectors do not fit in my XE computers.

Another alternative is buying joystick extention cables and cut those.

Thanks

M.

those are male sockets, I think he wanted female plugs.

PSA: Once again people, socket or receptacle, and plug, refer to the connector body. Male and female refer to the actual pins themselves. Often, you will have female plugs and male sockets. For example, the SIO port or the joystick port on the actual atari computer or console, is a male receptacle. The connector on the ends of an SIO cable, or a joystick cable, are female plugs.

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...

Sorry for bumping my own old thread, but the question is still open for me. 

Let me be more specific:

Joystick cables are vulnerable parts. I think it is not too difficult to replace or repair a joystick cable but at some point it would be nice if I could simply install a fresh new cable on a joystick, even when I have to create the cable myself. 

But the standard DB9 connectors do have these 'ears' 

When I would create a joystick cable from a RS232 cable with a female DB9 connector, It won't fit in a 130XE. And it does not fit very nicely in an 800XL as well (although it works).

So do these DB9 female connectors exist without the ears? Or is there a trick to remove the metal ears without damaging everything?

Or are there any other suggestions? Or is there a source of joystick cables that is not sold out? 

ears.jpg

I can remember snipping or using a small cutoff wheel years ago to remove them but also remember it looking like arse and having sharp edges as well as causing some deformation of the overall shell.

The ones that take ribbon cable are about the same though might be easier to trim if you went that way.

I can't recall ever seeing any DIY types that don't have the mounting holes.  Fairly sure even the old RS232 cables would usually have the retaining screws with knurled thumbscrews as well.  And such things are a rarity in themselves these days.

I don't think much equipment at all these days use them, they've gone the way of most of the DB and DE type plugs and the only ones you get are the generic types from electronics suppliers.

I wonder though - couldn't you just drill out the pressed part in the hole that holds the metal shield on and just remove the whole thing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marius said:

Sorry for bumping my own old thread, but the question is still open for me. 

Let me be more specific:

Joystick cables are vulnerable parts. I think it is not too difficult to replace or repair a joystick cable but at some point it would be nice if I could simply install a fresh new cable on a joystick, even when I have to create the cable myself. 

But the standard DB9 connectors do have these 'ears' 

When I would create a joystick cable from a RS232 cable with a female DB9 connector, It won't fit in a 130XE. And it does not fit very nicely in an 800XL as well (although it works).

So do these DB9 female connectors exist without the ears? Or is there a trick to remove the metal ears without damaging everything?

Or are there any other suggestions? Or is there a source of joystick cables that is not sold out? 

ears.jpg

You could always use a Dremel tool to cut off the "ears", and to "sand" them off a little, and some solder to seal the cut sides. Done that, works well.

• Like 1

You can use pliers to bend the "ears" back and forth until the metal fatigues and fractures, then take the entire metal shell off.  The blue plastic is in two pieces that can be superglued together and generally has held up fairly well for me. 

I do this on the edge of projects all the time. 

IMG_6208.jpg

• Like 4