IGNORED

5200 Trak-Ball Repair

Albert

I have a trak-ball that looks hardly used. Neither direction works but all the other buttons works. I did check the wiring harness and even swapped with another trak-balls harness to make sure. No change. So it looks like both Optos are bad on this one. Is there a source for them or the logics somewhere? I would really like to repair it instead of using it as a parts system.

A cheap logic probe would tell you if the optical sensors are working.

http://console5.com/techwiki/images/f/f5/5200-CX53-Trakball-Schematic.png

Pins 2 and 4 of U1 and U2 should change from HI to LO as the encoder wheel is rotated. Or you could take the wheels out and put something in to manually block the light passing between the optical transmitter and receiver and watch for the output state change. Probably could do that part with a low budget DMM.

I have a trak-ball that looks hardly used. Neither direction works but all the other buttons works. I did check the wiring harness and even swapped with another trak-balls harness to make sure. No change. So it looks like both Optos are bad on this one. Is there a source for them or the logics somewhere? I would really like to repair it instead of using it as a parts system.

Yep, mine was dead, but a very nice looking corpse. Cheap, in a bulk lot that was bound for the garbage.

I have a 5200 Trak-Ball that only moves vertically, not horizontally. Can anyone give me some advice on how I might troubleshoot and repair this?

Thanks!

..Al

You have asked The Creator, Dan Kramer, this question over in the Trak-Bombers group - or the 5200 group - on Facebook, right? :)