IGNORED

Final Fantasy Origins factoid...

i played FFO for the first time today, its a nice remix that maintains the orginal's challenge, and ups the graphics and sound just enough to make it a bit more pleasing without going overboard...

now to the interesting part. In the NES version, you may or may not remember three tombstones in the Elf Village, one of the tombstones said "Here Lies Erdrick" of Dragon Warrior fame. In this version (that was released on the PSX mind you, and is the first title in the US under the new Square/Enix lable), this tombstone now bears the name Link. Since this game has nothing to do with any Nintendo based system, i thought it was an interesting choice to say the least. Im not sure if it was a shot at Nintendo, or an homage. Knowing the checkered past of Square and Nintendo, im thinking its more of an insult.

any thoughts?

I think Sony is just bitter that Heihachi is the best character they could come up with for a exclusive character for Soul Calubur 2.

Square is nothing but a puppet company for Sony so it was probably a direct shot at Nintendo. Either that, or it could be that no one would really catch the Erdrick reference so they changed it to make it a little more obvious for current gamers.

-Tatton

I just beat the Final Fantasy 1 remix on this disk. It took me about 32 and a half hours (actually probably more like 31, because I'd sometimes let the system sit while I took a break). I played on Normal difficulty under the default custom settings (allowing use of Life/Gold Needles in combat, run button, etc.). My party consisted of a Warrior, Black Belt, White Mage, and Black Mage. All were promoted.

I have to say that the final dungeon was really tedious. The frequency of monsters was really high, but the challenge was non-existent. By that point you have several unlimited use healing items, so it's only a matter of prolonging combats to heal your entire party up to full. The bosses are also extremely weak by this point. Never did I really stop to level my characters, and I ended the game at level 40 for all 4 of my characters.

I'm used to text endings. I have nothing against text endings. I certainly expected a text ending on this game. But, this game had about the lamest ending story that I've ever read. It didn't make any sense at all, and felt extremely anti-climactic. If this is your first time to go all the way through this game, like me, then I highly recommend playing for the joy of it. Don't be in a rush to get to the end, because it does take some of the wind out of your sails.

Now its time for me to decide which RPG I'll play next. I might go ahead and march to FF2 on the Origins disk, or I might get back to my Dragon Warrior 2 or Xenosaga game.

Good luck to everyone else who is slogging through this game!