IGNORED

Preparing an AVR as an UberGROM

Tursi

• 4 months later...

The GROMCFG tool doesn't work unless you have an UberGROM attached, because the displayed configuration is always read from the chip. So to enable the UberGROM emulation in Classic99, you need to have at least one ROM file in the selected cartridge entry with a type of 'U' (it's fine if it has no useful data in it ;) ). Since that overrides the GROM space, you'll also need a way to load GROMCFG itself... I use my relocated Editor/Assembler. Attached is the set I use, and the INI entry is here.

[test32]
name=Ubergrom test
rom0=U|6000|2000|C:\classic99\MODS\EA2k.BIN
rom1=G|2000|2000|C:\classic99\MODS\EA2k.BIN
Note that I include the same module on the UberGROM side and overriding TI BASIC at >2000 -- only the latter matters. The first entry is just because I need to load /something/ to activate the UberGROM emulation.

EA2K.BIN

• Like 2

Thanks, it's working now. And I already had this configuration somewhere in my ini file so perhaps I have asked the same question before. I also got confused because for some reason I thought GROMLOAD on the disk was an TI BASIC loader for GROMCFG, but I must have been thinking of BASICLOAD on the XB27 dsk.

Anyway, I manged to confirm that my GROM startup program for selecting the first bank seems to be working. However, I have to turn off bases in order not to see the REVIEW MODULE LIBRARY OPTION even though I only have a single GROM in a single bank, do you know why?

Yes, because you have data in the first base and no data in the second base, so they are not equal when the console compares them. Either turn off bases or duplicate the first GROM in the first two bases (or don't use the first GROM at all, which is the new third option ;) ).

(edit: it doesn't care if the bases compared have valid headers, only if the data is different).

Edited by Tursi

There are only two things you need to do to turn an AVR into an UberGROM. (After that, use it on the board in the TI and stop thinking of it as an AVR, it's a product at that point. ;) ). You can and should load software with GROMCFG, or even the standalone loader GROMLOAD, unless you know better - that tool is meant to make it easier to distribute and load finished images. People are free to distribute the standalone loading tool with their products.

Those instructions where great, they translated nicely to the minipro programmer.

A quick technical note, skip if not interested in the technical parts - on startup the AVR code checks if the configuration area in EEPROM is blank, which it will be in this case. When it finds this, it does a basic initial configuration. This initial configuration was designed to activate a test program, but that test program isn't loaded anymore, so you'll just see a basic configuration in GROMCFG when you get there. Thus it is fine to not load any EEPROM data on a fresh chip.

I fetched the archive off of harmlesslion, and loaded it onto the chip, and I was greeted by the test program that isn't supposed to be there anymore. Is it still not supposed to be there anymore? Did I snag an outdated hex file? Changes inside the archive are dated 6/2/2015. Or was the test program beneficial enough that it was brought back?

-M@

Did the test program actually work? ;)

No big deal... I didn't think I shipped the whole package anymore. :)

It appeared to. I skipped the IO pin testing, but they appeared to have reasonable disconnected values. And then everything buttoned up when it was finished.

Thanks!

-M@

post-42954-0-68118600-1458698647_thumb.png

In case it is useful for others, (or my future self) here is a screen shot of how the minipro TL866 software looks with all the check boxes set for programming the 'config' or fuses. Notice the config button on the right is depressed. That wasn't obvious to me for a while :(

And you can double check the hex bytes that will be programmed in the square I have highlighted.

I needed to upgrade the MiniPro Programmer software before it would program the atmega config properly. With the previous version of the burner software that I had, it always failed validation on the config bytes.

-M@

• Like 2

I've used the MiniPro to program about 30 of these chips now, and Gazoo used it to program at least 100 of them. . .it definitely works quite well as a programmer for the 1284s.

I've made a ton as well with mine.. my first one was with the other programmer recommended by Tursi but once I had the minipro it was all she wrote

• 4 months later...