IGNORED

X-man pal or ntsc

boomtownpizza1971

Hey guys,

I've listed my x-man on ebay and I really don't know definitively whether it's pal or ntsc. I noted my concerns in the auction but I'd like this communities opinion on it. When I bought this game back in the early 2000's the seller told me it was ntsc but apparently fraud and dishonesty run rampant through the collectors markets. Thanks for the help,

Richard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252162160362?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Check the Atarimania website. Do a search for X-man under the 2600 section and you will see a picture of the ntsc screen and the pal screen. Note the background color is green on the ntsc version rather than blue on the pal version. If you put your game in an ntsc machine and it doesn't roll, and you have the right color background, then you are pretty much looking at ntsc.

Others here may give you a more definitive way to tell. To my knowledge there is NO label difference between the pal and ntsc carts so you cannot tell by looking at the game.

Just saw you determined PAL. Screen colors should tell all, even if the pic is not rolling. :)

Before listing the game I had done a forum search and read one of CPU's posts about the label color and was leaning pal but wasn't 100% sure. After taking Tombstones advice and checking out Atarimania there is no doubt it's pal, blue background.

Of coarse this sucks because long ago when I bought this game the seller said it was ntsc. When i received it the screen didn't roll so I thought it was ntsc. What can I say other than I should have been more thorough.

I edited my post, but was starting to ask how old your TV was at the time? Older sets with all the horizontal, vertical, brightness, contrast, etc. adjustments often did NOT roll when playing a PAL game. Could very well have been the guy that sold it, used a similar set and assumed it was NTSC. There *was* a time we didn't have sites like this or Atarimania that clearly showed the difference between the two standards. :)

A couple of PAL games I was duped by early on (mid-late 90's) was My Golf and Ikari Warriors. Pink greens, WTF? :lol:

Thanks to some brilliantly talented folks here, most of the PAL exclusives have been converted to NTSC so we may enjoy on the Harmony cartridges or have repros made.

I edited my post, but was starting to ask how old your TV was at the time? Older sets with all the horizontal, vertical, brightness, contrast, etc. adjustments often did NOT roll when playing a PAL game. Could very well have been the guy that sold it, used a similar set and assumed it was NTSC. There *was* a time we didn't have sites like this or Atarimania that clearly showed the difference between the two standards. :)

A couple of PAL games I was duped by early on (mid-late 90's) was My Golf and Ikari Warriors. Pink greens, WTF? :lol:

Thanks to some brilliantly talented folks here, most of the PAL exclusives have been converted to NTSC so we may enjoy on the Harmony cartridges or have repros made.

It's was either an old Sony or sanyo, can't remember which, purchased new in the early nineties. I'm testing all the games I'm selling now on a Phillips tube style TV manufactured in 2003, and the screen doesn't roll on the pal games.

What game(s) are on the copy cart?

I'm assuming your referring to the Yoko cartridge. Good question, even though I've had this cart for a long time I don't think I've ever checked to see if there were games on it-- until now. It's looks to be blank. I've never had the copy cart unit and I'm now wondering if the yoko cart is any good. It could be just blank, could anyone shed some light as to how I could possibly verify that it's a fuctional cart?

Edited by Boomtownpizza

I hope you get more bidders for your X-man. Come on people bid bid bid and make happiest pay more for it

Yes make happiest pay. They have been buying games at RECORD prices, then trying to sell for even HIGHER CRAZY prices. Must be nice to have unlimited funds. Please don't pay 10 times what there worth people, and they will have to come down to reality and take a loss, then maybe they will stop trying to drive the prices so high. I have bought some stuff from them though!! Also I wish people would STOP with all the "REPLACEMENT LABELS" only increases fraud. It is tough enough to weed through all the BS listings and scams as it is, "we" don't need to add to it!! You know who you are!!!!! And many are from games that aren't even rare/hard to find. If you want a nice label cart, buy one cheap, don't spent the same on a "new" FAKE label!!

thanks, that is all...

Your probably right. I haven't been collecting since the early 2000's and frankly can't remember what all I have. When I listed chainsaw massacre I didn't know I had the instructions for it until going through another box I found a numorous stack of instruction manuals, which I listed separately on ebay. I thought about ending the auction and relisting but ultimately said screw it and just added it to the existing auction.

Now don't get me wrong here I want to sell my collection and get what I can for it but my primary goal is getting rid of it all. Not just the Atari collection, but most everything I have. The wife and I are moving next month, leaving Texas for Oregon. For me, I'd rather sell it than pack it, it's just that simple.

Your probably right. I haven't been collecting since the early 2000's and frankly can't remember what all I have. When I listed chainsaw massacre I didn't know I had the instructions for it until going through another box I found a numorous stack of instruction manuals, which I listed separately on ebay. I thought about ending the auction and relisting but ultimately said screw it and just added it to the existing auction.

Now don't get me wrong here I want to sell my collection and get what I can for it but my primary goal is getting rid of it all. Not just the Atari collection, but most everything I have. The wife and I are moving next month, leaving Texas for Oregon. For me, I'd rather sell it than pack it, it's just that simple.

Ok, good luck with your move :)

A shame you didn't get a few more bidders for your Bumper Bash.
I bid against that a***n bidder quite a bit the last few years
He buys the same rare games over and over
He had at least 2 of those games until today
Yours makes 3 and he just won another in this lot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-11-Premium-Atari-2600-VCS-Games-Carts-Xonox-Sealed-Task-Force-More-/181926852549

Is anyone here the a***n bidder?
What's your story? Diehard collector? Reseller?
Why u keep buying the same games over and over?

I'm really out of touch in today's atari 2600 collectors markets. Back when I was collecting rescue terra 1, tooth protectors, and glib would have went for double if not triple what they went for today. At the same time the multicart, pal xman, or even subterranea would have not brought that much as it did today.

The ntsc klax is the most I ever paid for a single atari game. Didn't even get half what I paid for it but that's ok, never started collecting as a long term investment, I collected atari because it's something I loved to do.