IGNORED

MegaSTE Fan/Floppy options?

Xebec

Hi Atarians!

I have a Mega STE, and I was curious if there is a recommended 'quieter fan' (model) that someone could point me towards for quieting it down? .. and is the fan mainly for the power supply or is it needed for other components? (could I replace with a fanless PicoPSU?)

Also, Ultra Satan and HxC Floppy emulator.. I assume the best thing for these is just to box them up and run them externally? there's no real way to attach a HxC internally without hacking the case for the LCD and buttons? (or has anyone done a cool mod keeping these internal?).

Thanks all!

John H

(Former BBS Express! Pro 8bit and ST SysOp)

Not being a Mega ST owner, I can't comment on the first question, but there are pictures around of people who have Goteks and Lotharek HXC floppy emulators in their ST's. I've also seen many pics of Amiga owners doing this although I don't own anything Amiga. The Ultrasatan can be used externally with an ACSI cable. I have an external cased ultrasatan with the ACSI cable, but I have been thinking about selling the ACSI cable and case and internalizing the UltraSatan. If aesthetics (not hacking up the case) is your primary concern you might be happier keeping it external.

I would assume the fan could be replaced by any modern PC case fan? Just measure and see if it's mountable the same way case fans are. If it is, you can get a nice fan that pushes lots of air without making too much noise cheaply.

I am actually in the process of mounting my HxC in my Atari now. I think I have it figured out but I still have some testing to do. I am planning on making a step by step video instruction on how to do it, because I can't find that anywhere on the web.

That would be truly excellent and appreciated! Thank you!

Take a look at the link below. I am using the example that he posted and I am working to make it more strait forward and easy. You can use this to at least get an idea of what you need to do until I can get my video made. Hope it helps.

http://www.tehkella.net/retro/?p=439

Thanks! Let me know how your Gotek reprogramming goes. I tried to reprogram one a while back and had no luck getting the software to talk to it..

Beautiful, I got my HxC mounted properly. What I used was three 3mm 50x40 inch screws, six nuts that fit those screws, and one 6x7/8th metal screw. First lets turn to the emulator itself. There are three screws on the top, unscrew them. That will bring the top off and you will see the HxC board inside. You can put black electrical tape on it to keep it in place if you want. Use the metal screw on three of the holes on the bottom of your HxC (two on the left and one on the back right side). This will widen the holes on the bottom for the smaller screw to pull right through. You see the m3 screws are small enough to go though the original size of the screw in the atari case, so you don't need to alter the original shell at all. It's just the floppy emulator that your altering, but your going to leave it inside the atari anyway, so who cares? Once they are widened, take the m3 screw to each hole and scrape it in and out. Make sure that the screws can go in and out easily. Then take the three m3 screws and put them through the bottom of the atari case. They should be sticking up through the black holes now on the top. Put one set of nuts on each one and get it kind of tight. You want those on to keep the screw from falling out but you want them loose enough incase you need to take them out again. Then put a second set of three nuts on the screws. This will keep the HxC case flush. Then take the bottom half of the HxC and push it through the screw holes. Now this is the trial and error part. Adjust the top set of screws until it feels flush. Put the atari top back on and see if the front (buttons, lcd, led, ect) is viable through the floppy slot on your machine. Every ST seems to has its own unique slot so viability takes three or four tries. Eventually you will get it and it will be nice and secure. Here are some photos posted below.

http://troyh.us/FTPshare/pieproductions/20151211_200913.jpg

http://troyh.us/FTPshare/pieproductions/20151211_200923.jpg

http://troyh.us/FTPshare/pieproductions/20151211_200944.jpg

Edited by Sowden

• 8 years later...
33 minutes ago, thedocbwarren said:

Sorry to bump this thread but I'd like to revisit the fan discussion.  Anyone replaced their MSTe fan with a nice Noctua?  I will take a look soon, but wondered if anyone knew a model number and connectors needed to do this.

In the PSU? Probably a Noctua NF-A6x25. Be sure not to run the fan in "quiet" (less airflow) mode with the cables that is included in the package. The PSU needs full airflow from the fan to cool it sufficient.

Edited by snarkdluG