IGNORED

The Birthday Challenge - 2015 Edition

DZ-Jay

We've seen lot's of good progress across the leaderboard in this year's Carol vs. The World! Championship. It's all good and all, but we need more.

It's time. It's here. We're ready to throw down the gauntlet! (or is it, throw up the gauntlet? I forget. Funny, I don't recall swallowing a gauntlet. Also, that would be disgusting... :ponder:)

Anyhoo... It's time for...

The Birthday Challenge!

1. Here's how it works:

• I will be playing Christmas Carol today, 13th December, ('cause it's my Birthday and I deserve it!) and will post my scores up on the board throughout.
  • At the end of the day, the highest score I post will serve as the goal to beat!
  • From here on to the end of the year, whoever beats my Birthday score will win this challenge and earn the achievement "The Ghost Of Birthday Presents"!!!

2. But wait, there's more!

Plus, there's a twist this year. This one is dedicated to the rookies, to whom I'm offering an extra-special challenge on my Birthday; an achievement I call, "It's My Birthday And I Play If I Want To!" (no sour-cream on this one). To earn it, you'll have to do all of the following:

• Play the game on my Birthday, 13th December, and post a score before Midnight EST.
  • Take a picture or screenshot of a score with the number 45 in it -- that's THE BIG ONE today! :-o It could be something like 0045, 0145, 4,500, etc.
  • Submit a fun and original, single-sentence birthday wish to everyone born on this finest of days!

That's it! Easy peasy. :)

Complete both challenges at once, add a spoonful of sour-cream, and earn the super-duper achievement "The Ghost Of Birthday Presents Supreme"!

3. Anything else?

Of course! A third challenge has been thrown into the mix year: Fellow judge GroovyBee has posted his own high-score to commemorate my birthday, and we challenge all players to post a score higher than his and mine combined!

We call this... The Birthday Challenge!2 (squared)

• 1,763 + 912 = 2,675

Good luck to all! And... HAPPY BIRTHDAY2 TO ME!!! :)

Cheers!

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Well happy birthday my friend! Enjoy playing and spending it your way :-)

Thanks! I just posted my first score. I haven't played in a long time and it shows! :(

You are invited to participate. Come join me, play a round and post your score. I'm set with my games, drinks, and comfy electric-massage chair. I'll be at it all day. :)

-dZ.

Plus, there's a twist this year. This one is dedicated to the rookies, to whom I'm offering an extra-special challenge on my Birthday; an achievement I call, "It's My Birthday And I Play If I Want To!" (no sour-cream on this one). To earn it, you'll have to do all of the following:

• Play the game on my Birthday, 13th December, and post a score before Midnight EST.
  • Take a picture or screenshot of a score with the number 45 in it -- that's THE BIG ONE today! :-o It could be something like 0045, 0145, 4,500, etc.
  • Submit a fun and original, single-sentence birthday wish to everyone born on this finest of days!

That's it! Easy peasy. :)

Complete both challenges at once, add a spoonful of sour-cream, and earn the super-duper achievement "The Ghost Of Birthday Presents Supreme"!

May all the Decemberists in all the world be so thirteen as you are!

post-41160-0-55098900-1450017903_thumb.jpg

EDIT: welcome to the club of the 45

EDIT 2: and don't have too many expectations for a "fun and original, single-sentence birthday wish" in English by an Eyetie :lolblue:

Edited by intellivotion
  • Like 1

May all the Decemberists in all the world be so thirteen as you are!

attachicon.gifChristmas Carol_12_13_2015-2.JPG

EDIT: welcome to the club of the 45

EDIT 2: and don't have too many expectations for a "fun and original, single-sentence birthday wish" in English by an Eyetie :lolblue:

Thanks! Your Decemberist birthday wish is fun and original enough! :lol:

hey, I posted a pic, wrote a birthday wish but... how can I add a spoonful of sour cream :? Shall I throw it onto the monitor?!?

It happens magically when you post a score higher than my Birthday Score from today to the end of the month. It's still early morning today, so I have most of the day to continue posting scores... the final Birthday Challenge Score won't be set until Midnight (EST) tonight.

Don't worry, my scores are rather lame, and I am very much out of practice. :dunce:

-dZ.

Thanks! I just posted my first score. I haven't played in a long time and it shows! :(

You are invited to participate. Come join me, play a round and post your score. I'm set with my games, drinks, and comfy electric-massage chair. I'll be at it all day. :)

-dZ.

Spending an entire birthday playing Intellivision with snacks, drinks and that chair sounds amazing! I would join you but I don't have Christmas Carol. You'll have to play an extra round for me :) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Spending an entire birthday playing Intellivision with snacks, drinks and that chair sounds amazing! I would join you but I don't have Christmas Carol. You'll have to play an extra round for me :) :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm having fun so far. :)

Here, let me hook you up! The ROM is free and the rules of the game are easy. It even comes packaged with an emulator for Windows or Mac. There's no excuse. ;)

-dZ.

Happy Birthday dZ!

For the heck of it, decided to install the emulator/rom combo and bring my Stelladapter out of retirement. Want to see if there's anything to playing on emulation and using a joystick for a change. :)

Stupid question that I can't seem to find an answer for readily, but how do you increase the size of the emulator screen? On my 27" iMac, it's about a 5x5 square. Could try reducing the Mac's resolution I guess, but that always screws with my icons. Oh and the fullscreen mode is greyed out in the jzintv drop down. Tried hitting all the function buttons, Command F, Option F, Control F, etc. and nothing seems to work.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday dZ!

For the heck of it, decided to install the emulator/rom combo and bring my Stelladapter out of retirement. Want to see if there's anything to playing on emulation and using a joystick for a change. :)

Stupid question that I can't seem to find an answer for readily, but how do you increase the size of the emulator screen? On my 27" iMac, it's about a 5x5 square. Could try reducing the Mac's resolution I guess, but that always screws with my icons. Oh and the fullscreen mode is greyed out in the jzintv drop down. Tried hitting all the function buttons, Command F, Option F, Control F, etc. and nothing seems to work.

When you run the command line, there is an option to change the display size. You can also press CMD+F for "Full Screen".

-dZ.

When you run the command line, there is an option to change the display size. You can also press CMD+F for "Full Screen".

-dZ.

CMD+F no worky. And would you just look at ALL the options here? lmao

post-13896-0-79545600-1450040049_thumb.png

It's all good! Don't like the feel of emulation anyway. Thought the joystick would have given me an edge, but found I was making *more* mistakes with it than the Intv disc! Definitely not as responsive than I'm used to, playing on real hardware. Sweet package though for those without an Intellivision and your game!!

Okay, back to some more playing. Even have some sour cream at the ready. :rolling:

• Like 1

CMD+F no worky. And would you just look at ALL the options here? lmao

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-13 at 2.50.06 PM.png

It's all good! Don't like the feel of emulation anyway. Thought the joystick would have given me an edge, but found I was making *more* mistakes with it than the Intv disc! Definitely not as responsive than I'm used to, playing on real hardware. Sweet package though for those without an Intellivision and your game!!

Okay, back to some more playing. Even have some sour cream at the ready. :rolling:

I'm not sure it will work -I don't use macs- but you can try something like this:

1. Open a terminal with a bash shell. (maybe typing bash in the mac search)
  2. Go to the directory where jzintv is. (something.../CarolVsGhost/game)
  3. Then type: jzintv -z1 xmas_carol.rom

I think the default is -z0 which is smaller...

• Like 1