IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Bull. By even aligning yourself with a product to any degree is not "staying out of the middle". The only developer who remained truly neutral and deserves any modicum of our respect in this matter is Neo Dev Team. They saw the writing on the wall and quietly bailed. That's not staying in the middle. That's the appropriate response when a company you are looking to do business with turns out to be an obvious scam. You don't "hang around" for free advertising. That's deplorable behavior.

Until the Toy Fair fiasco, for all we knew, they did have something cooking.

Bull. By even aligning yourself with a product to any degree is not "staying out of the middle". The only developer who remained truly neutral and deserves any modicum of our respect in this matter is Neo Dev Team. They saw the writing on the wall and quietly bailed. That's not staying in the middle. That's the appropriate response when a company you are looking to do business with turns out to be an obvious scam. You don't "hang around" for free advertising. That's deplorable behavior.

So if Disney licenses their characters to a plush company; and the plush company makes a plush Micky with googly eyes; but the paint used for the eyes was lead paint, and a Kid licked the eyes and got intoxicate.

Under your logic, Disney is guilty correct?

AA community, can anybody help me and show me What would the Math formula for this logic would look like?

• Like 12

I dunno, that post pretty well worked on me, and I think I'm probably more 'hatery' than average.

Thank you man, and I appreciate you understanding. It was never in our/my intentions to rip people off. We just wanted to get our games out there for people to play.

• Like 11

It would leave a bad taste in the kid's mouth for anything Disney.

It is important for a parent company to ensure its outsourced supplier (whatever) has their ducks in order. If they don't it shows they don't care.

GM makes a car with bad ignition switches, that's not my problem. It's GM's problem to properly screen their suppliers and the quality of the parts they put in. I only have to go only as far as GM to complain.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

Were were told that the Chameleon would run off an FPGA board and would be able to run SNES games. So since we are already working on the SNES port, it didn't require us to know any of the specifications since it would run similar. Similar to Piko porting their games over.

That checks out with what Mike has stated, I believe you. I don't think we'll have any current "hardware" guys show up unless Mr. Li makes himself known.

However, the problem is that a lot of Mike's scheme from the get-go didn't revolve around hardware at all. It revolved around marketing. Hardware was his problem because he has none of it. But amazingly- that fact never bothered him! Why? Because he had a Rolodex of YouTubers and Podcasters desperate for a juicy story that would bring in viewers, listeners and subscribers. And that's where you did wrong, by giving him a soapbox to spout out his ilk.

This is embarrassing for you and a lot of people who got involved up to this point but they made the bed they sleep in. People will remember this story and come to their own conclusions. And if you don't believe me, there's a counterpoint to this- someone like Jag Bar who looked at this with a critical eye, didn't give up his principles, set boundaries he wouldn't let Mike cross and maintained his integrity throughout his involvement. People are loving him for doing what we all hope we would do in that situation. But it takes a strong person to lead by example.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 16

The console was going to play different classic platforms and market the games as their own (mainly to monopolize the cartridge sales). There is nothing wrong with that, each company has their own marketing strategies;

I'm definitely on your side here, but could you elaborate if this is your idea or if it was the intent of the RVGS team? The only reason I ask is because WAY back in the IGG times, I made a post theorizing that Mike simply wanted to basically corner and take control of the homebrew market so everything goes through him and would like to know if this was something he actually planned to do. My theory was he'd sell NES homebrews in Jag shells and they'd play just as good without a NES and in time he could sell the real NES carts to go along with his adapters, as well. Literally every homebrew maker would be literally stupid NOT to release their games on the Chameleon anyways, so it'd be a win win with Mike inevitably lining his pockets on everyone else's work.

If he indeed planned something this savvy, I will in no way, shape or form ever believe any "awww gorsh I'm gullible and got taken advantage of by (insert guy)" bullshit from him again.

• Like 1

So if Disney licenses their characters to a plush company; and the plush company makes a plush Micky with googly eyes; but the paint used for the eyes was lead paint, and a Kid licked the eyes and got intoxicate.

AA community, can anybody help me and show me What would the Math formula for this logic would look like?

wellllll

they would get the grunt of the heat, remember when "Apple" was getting into a shit storm cause foxcon workers were killing themselves?

not saying it was right, just saying that might be a poor comparison

Just from what I read, it seems that Mike K really did deceive everyone around him. I feel that this includes the people that were working closely with him, as well as companies that were in the process of making games for the system. For me personally, I have no ill will towards anyone who wanted to get on board with this project. We were all deceived. Hindsight is 20/20. Now is the time that we can just go back to playing the classic games that we have on retrogaming systems that actually exist in the real world.

• Like 4

Terrible analogy. Considering there was no final product in this case. The minute you caught wind of this being what will go down in history as one of the top 3 hilarious video game related FUBARs of all time. You should have been running for the tree line with a JATO strapped to your back. You don't take a "wait and see" approach.

• Like 4

I'm definitely on your side here, but could you elaborate if this is your idea or if it was the intent of the RVGS team? The only reason I ask is because WAY back in the IGG times, I made a post theorizing that Mike simply wanted to basically corner and take control of the homebrew market so everything goes through him and would like to know if this was something he actually planned to do. My theory was he'd sell NES homebrews in Jag shells and they'd play just as good without a NES and in time he could sell the real NES carts to go along with his adapters, as well. Literally every homebrew maker would be literally stupid NOT to release their games on the Chameleon anyways, so it'd be a win win with Mike inevitably lining his pockets on everyone else's work.

If he indeed planned something this savvy, I will in no way, shape or form ever believe any "awww gorsh I'm gullible and got taken advantage of by (insert guy)" bullshit from him again.

They didn't directly ever say that to me or anything; but it was obvious in my eyes. At the end of the day, the CC or RVG cart would just have been a universal cart of some-sorts (with unique pinout) that tells the console what kind of Rom is on the eeprom/flash/mask rom and the console would act accordingly.

I mean they would have consolidated the retro indie/homebrew scene; releasing games left and right. Again nothing wrong with that, clever marketing and business models.

At the end of the day for developers, units sold is whats important.

• Like 5

I don't think that the Disney example is the greatest. The Chameleon was just a distribution channel to you, someone who wanted to sell your product.

I've successfully sent enough cheques and PayPal transfers to people on the other side of the country or the world over the last 25 years to have a pretty good expectation that people in this community aren't usually trying to cheat or scam each other. I can understand how it would be easy to make that assumption when someone comes along who wants to resell something you make.

Please ignore the vocal minority that have a problem with this.

• Like 4

Terrible analogy. Considering there was no final product in this case. The minute you caught wind of this being what will go down in history as one of the top 3 hilarious video game related FUBARs of all time. You should have been running for the tree line with a JATO strapped to your back. You don't take a "wait and see" approach.

Why? I never promoted anything of them, I never signed a contract? Who are you to say that it is bad to remain neutral, and wait and see if a product is at least successful. I said it plenty of times, if they release the console then the can license games. By the KS they were supposed to have a working proto.

They didn't, business as usual.

I

• Like 4

Align is a poor choice of words here. They were not allies anymore than Yacht Club Games is "aligned" with Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft... and Steam. They were simply making their games available for another platform. Mike was the one that was dropping their name like crazy, as well as InterWorks by the way, who never said a word about the Coleco Chameleon. Mike is responsible for how much the Piko and Collectorvision and InterWorks brands are tied up with RVGS.

But you can make them an enemy if you wish I suppose.

Edited by marksball
  • Like 4

You're taking this way too far.

You're talking like this was just random guys who happened to decide to put a product on the market. This was actually two business, with an agreement in place to release games on an upcoming system. Piko did the right thing for his business by seeing how it all panned out. If Mike really did get all his ducks in a row for the Kickstarter, Piko would have benefited from the sale of his games. There's absolutely no reason for him to have prematurely thrown that away.

He's obviously not supporting Mike any more, so I really don't understand what you keep going on about.

• Like 7

I don't think that the Disney example is the greatest. The Chameleon was just a distribution channel to you, someone who wanted to sell your product.

But still at the end of the day it was just a licensing thing;

What I meant in the analogy is that the licensor* would not be guilty if the licensee commits fraud, or some sort of damage. At the very worst it would be breach of contract and the licensor would have to litigate or something.

• Like 2

Look that face, that's the face of a man thinking "how the hell i was involved in this shit, help...!"

post-34727-0-04215500-1456891624_thumb.jpg

As for Mike, doubt we have something to worry about, bad news travel fast, by now relatives or even his wife would have gone public with an statement about his health or mental state (aka depression or sunking his sorrow in alcohol)

Edited by Cybermario