IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

OMG, it sounds a LOT like that.

Mike's communication style is retro, too. I wonder if he thinks we still get the "gaming gossip goodies" from things like Quartermann? Random column attached.

attachicon.gifegm_038_1992_sep_038.jpg

That is scary how similar this is compared to the Action Gamemaster.

I too agree that Mike's gossip and tease communication style is retro... soooo why not do that in RETRO magazine?? Mike's an idiot. If he was going to release little tidbits over a long period of time, he should have done it through his magazine. It sets off some serious nostalgia vibes of having to wait for the next issue to get a peek at this upcoming game console. Hell, I almost went out to get the latest issue when I heard it has a Chameleon ad on the back and I'd resubscribe to RETRO if that's where I had to go to get info on it.

It also gives him the control he's desperately trying to enforce right now. There's no snarky comments for "the haters" to add to a printed article. And he can control the comments and answers in the Q&A section.

• Like 2

... because the Cyclone V does HDMI

I don't think the Cyclone V E (the fpga only) supports it native (HW) but:

http://dev.virtuhorizon.com/2015/02/02/software-defined-hdmi-interface-on-a-cheap-cyclone-v-fpga/

there's a soft core for that.

[and obviously kevtris has proven for the NES HDMI that you can do 1080p]

Edited by phoenixdownita

... because the Cyclone V does HDMI

Ahhh ... but the Cyclone V doesn't just "do" HDMI.

AFAIK, you've either got to do what Kevtris did, and do a lot of research-and-testing, and then also do some extremely clever programming, and you might also need the more-expensive Cyclone V GX with the built-in high-speed transceiver ... or you buy a separate HDMI transceiver chip, something like ...

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=66&No=582

VGA output is so much easier!

Edited by elmer
  • Like 1

On top of that, they supposedly chose to use a Nintendo cable with a proprietary connector, one which probably can't even be bought in bulk anymore, instead of the common-as-dirt RCA connectors and cables that everybody else uses. So why was this "easier for the show" again???

Well, technically you can still buy cheaper reproductions in bulk, nowadays. Of just the cable, anyway. But even so, the fact it even uses those cables in the first place is the clinching factor that it's a SNES, if you ask me. I know Gamecube and N64 use the same cable too, but, those boards probably wouldn't fit. (Besides, they aren't "retro" enough. :P)

I mean, where could you even get the connector to plug that cable into to begin with, aside from reusing/cannibalizing Nintendo-made parts? I don't imagine those were ever made very publicly-available, unless I'm mistaken. Even if you just ripped out the composite output from one, I imagine there's still a lot of work needed just to attach it to the board, let alone if it would even be made to work, which it probably wouldn't. And these jokers can't even rig up a simple power light.

Edited by K-Maud
  • Like 2

OMG, it sounds a LOT like that.

Mike's communication style is retro, too. I wonder if he thinks we still get the "gaming gossip goodies" from things like Quartermann? Random column attached.

attachicon.gifegm_038_1992_sep_038.jpg

Ooh, maybe Mike will go retro when he blames us for the Kickstarter failure. Instead of calling us "drunken podcasters" or "Atari Age haters" like he did when the IndieGoGo collapsed, he'll instead call us "prima donna towel designers".

• Like 1

Ahhh ... but the Cyclone V doesn't just "do" HDMI.

Aha, forgive my ignorance, as I thought this was sold as a system on a chip like the Raspberry Pi. I saw an HDMI interface on that page and thought that was a done deal, but it's obviously more complex than that. I guess we will learn about their "fully architected" product on Friday.

• Like 1

Ooh, maybe Mike will go retro when he blames us for the Kickstarter failure. Instead of calling us "drunken podcasters" or "Atari Age haters" like he did when the IndieGoGo collapsed, he'll instead call us "prima donna towel designers".

I had to look that one up. "Kasser called us towel designers," Kaplan recalls. "He said, 'I've dealt with your kind before. You're a dime a dozen. You're not unique. Anybody can do a cartridge.'"

• Like 5

Isn't it easier (and cleaner) to go from the digital signals to something suitable for HDMI?

Hate to say it, if I was at a trade show and saw them playing games on one of those luggable VHS-TV combos from the 90s I'd laugh my ass off. It's worth noting that the early pictures of the Chameleon playing a game but not in the clear plastic cube it's displaying on precisely this type of monitor. For the later pictures and video of the CC in the cube it's displaying on a modern LCD via composite. Maybe someone did walk up to them and laugh -- and just maybe they ran out to Best Buy and splurged on a TV that looks like it's from this century. Why bother to lug that tube TV on a plane or in a car across the freaking continent?

It wasn't a VHS-TV combo. That Sony Trinitron was a kitchen model and the reason it has a monitor look is because of the stand but that stand has four screw holes for mounting it in your kitchen. He likely was originally thinking about using it to mount at the Coleco display so that no one could move it.

To be fair, we probably would make some very nice towels.

teKFW1x.png

• Like 13

Question I'm wondering can a Cyclone V be bought cheap enough to make the CC at 135 or 150 dollar price points when they also got to add a lot of features such as controller, game, power supply, and casing

Also is their enough of the cheap Cyclone V boards out their to do this?

• Like 1

That is scary how similar this is compared to the Action Gamemaster.

I too agree that Mike's gossip and tease communication style is retro... soooo why not do that in RETRO magazine?? Mike's an idiot. If he was going to release little tidbits over a long period of time, he should have done it through his magazine. It sets off some serious nostalgia vibes of having to wait for the next issue to get a peek at this upcoming game console. Hell, I almost went out to get the latest issue when I heard it has a Chameleon ad on the back and I'd resubscribe to RETRO if that's where I had to go to get info on it.

It also gives him the control he's desperately trying to enforce right now. There's no snarky comments for "the haters" to add to a printed article. And he can control the comments and answers in the Q&A section.

Looks like Mike is so cheap, he only "paid" for a one page spread in the very back page of his most recent issue.

post-33189-0-61075000-1455766037.jpg

He could have used the entire magazine as an opportunity to pimp the crap out of Chameleon, but is too cheap. That would have taken too much effort... :???:

Looks like Mike is so cheap, he only "paid" for a one page spread in the very back page of his most recent issue.

He could have used the entire magazine as an opportunity to pimp the crap out of Chameleon, but is too cheap. That would have taken too much effort... :???:

That's right. I forgot his plan was to charge regular ad rates for coverage of the Chameleon in RETRO magazine and take that money from the Kickstarter funds.

You would think a reputable magazine called RETRO would cover news of an upcomming retro console for free just because it's an interesting story your subscribers are probably interested in. But what do I know? I'm a filthy hater.

• Like 7

To be fair, we probably would make some very nice towels.

teKFW1x.png

Bonus when I wash this towel for the first time, I get to pick little pieces of Chameleon out of my dryer's lint trap. Maybe I should collect the lint in baggies to sell on eBay, because some collectards out there might want a piece of genuine Chameleon towel lint.

• Like 4

If I were to do it I would have gone out of my way to avoid composite from scratch as it requires a lot of dead nuts on wonky timing just to generate the color burst signal

VGA is much easier as its rgb and most tv's will allow for 240p timing even though it's not a VGA standard (given the TV works with 240p at all)

Basic HDMI can be done fairly easily with off the shelf parts and using a digital rgb format and doesn't require licencing unless you want encryption for things like blue ray

Course these yahoos didn't bother to take a lenghts of wire and a resistor to have a power led, which actually kind of started this "hey what are they trying to pull here" in depth look

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Question I'm wondering can a Cyclone V be bought cheap enough to make the CC at 135 or 150 dollar price points when they also got to add a lot of features such as controller, game, power supply, and casing

Also is their enough of the cheap Cyclone V boards out their to do this?

Short Answer:

Very, very unlikely.

Long Answer:

Possibly, if they got a big enough discount on whichever Cyclone V chip they wanted to use.

That would either have to be a huge-volume discount (not going to happen), or a sweetheart-deal from Intel (Altera's new owner) in order to promote/raise-interest in the whole FPGA scene (also not going to happen).

Now, they might be more likely to get a sweetheart deal from the new-kid on the scene ... Gowin Semiconductor in China, and its GW2A FPGA.

But really, all this speculation is pointless because none of this FPGA talk makes any sense at all, especially when they could just use a $9 C.H.I.P. board instead and run software emulators.

• Like 2

The debuffer is back and now says it's okay for us to question what is inside the prototype:

https://youtu.be/ou5gK5t35nc

Is this a picture of your towel prototype for a Kickstarter? I'm already throwing money at my screen.

@2:29 "I hope you gave em' a good shave and a nice scrub"

That shit is classic!