IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

For a sec, I thought you were describing a modem.
Now, Mike K announces The Retro Network.

Using uncrowded POTS lines, Mike plans to revive classic Retro Network games.

Then claims he's acquired the entire catalog of the Sega Channel!
*Then someone reminds him that took place over a proprietary cable modem*

Taping a phone showing that image to the front of the thing, of course.

... and the Kickstarter campaign hasn't even started yet! Fun times ...

You mean just another 99 to go. Like last time around.

Out of curiosity, I went back to the RVGS thread to see what page the IndieGoGo started. It was right around page 100, so we're a little "ahead of the pace," so to speak.

• Like 1

Does anybody know for sure what the Kickstarter approval process actually is?

Can Mike show (heavily edited) videos from the Toy Fair plus give them some links to the regurgitated press releases on sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, and Tom's Guide and get Kickstarter to say "approved"?

Does Kickstarter do any actual independent research? I'd hope someone at Kickstarter would at least type "Coleco Chameleon prototype" into Google, find this thread or the CUPodcast on Youtube and go "Holy Sh*t! Abort! Abort! Abort!".

• Like 1

Can Mike show (heavily edited) videos from the Toy Fair plus give them some links to the regurgitated press releases on sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, and Tom's Guide and get Kickstarter to say "approved"?

Does Kickstarter do any actual independent research? I'd hope someone at Kickstarter would at least type "Coleco Chameleon prototype" into Google, find this thread or the CUPodcast on Youtube and go "Holy Sh*t! Abort! Abort! Abort!".

My understanding is that the Kickstarter approval process is now automated (i.e. nobody reviews the submission or launch as long as their automated system doesn't reject something in the pitch). Having said that, if people complain or they catch wind of something problematic as a result of press coverage, they can and do suspend or cancel campaigns.

• Like 2

While anything's possible, I'd be surprised if it got pulled. History shows they are of the "Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead!" type.

We may find the Chameleon is a lot less than what was promised--unless stretch goals are met.

Why would they have to make changes to the console depending upon the amount of funds raised. A better product would have all the features, period.

Use the stretch goals to produce additional add-ons or other things not directly related to the specifications.

For the last 5%, they just need enough funding to make a mold for the FPGA! Life in plastic, it's fantastic.

There are companies that specialize in making dummy components. For real. These are full-size, life-like, chips that can be soldered in and can have custom markings too if you want it.

They have several legitimate useages:

1- Training and soldering and re-work practice

2- Help setting up your assembly line and vision equipment calibration

3- Prototype presentation - mockups - advertising - press photos

4- Help evaluating new soldering equipment

And several "bogus" uses like the fake cache scams of the 486 and Pentium days. Motherboard mfgs would place bogus chips on a motherboard to make you think you got extra external CPU cache. Naturally they'd then mark up the simulated parts by 90% for extra profit! Big! Real big in the early 1990's.

http://redhill.net.au/b/b-bad.html

http://web.archive.org/web/19980207094426/http://www.carlind.com/vxpro.html

http://www.topline.tv/catalog.cfm

http://www.practicalcomponents.com/about/

Google search for more!

• Like 1

Let's assume Kickstarter does a modicum of due diligence and the campaign doesn't happen. What excuses can Mike use?

1. The dog ate his homework. "We had a prototype, but it was stolen. You know how New York is. It will take us months to make a new one (SNES Jr. are in such short supply)"

2. Blame the (possibly fictional) HW guy. "I thought it was an FPGA all along, but it turns out you can't make a console for $150 with an FPGA that simulates a SNES. Don't worry, I'm in talks with engineers from Nintendo and Microsoft who are willing to drop working on the next gen console to work on the new, improved Chameleon VR. It will simulate not only the console, but the bedroom you had as a kid complete with 13-inch Black-and-White Goldstar tv."

3. Blame the "haters". "Somebody told Kickstarter we were a scam, and they refuse to talk to us because they don't want any controversy after that laser razor fiasco".

4. Blame both the HW guy and the haters. "He was almost finished with the CC, and then he read all the mean things you said about him and the project. His feelings were hurt so he left the project."

5. Blame Kickstarter, "They have some obscure rule about not having multiple simultaneous projects that I knew nothing about. Since my magazine campaign is still active, I'll have to postpone the CC until that is over. Sorry guys."

6. Mike the Martyr. "It's clear I was wrong for wanting to give you guys a great, new console. I've given up two years of my life to bring back cartridge gaming, but since people don't appreciate that I've decide to devote my full time to something people universally love and appreciate- RETRO Magazine."

Edited by atm94404
  • Like 11

Why would they have to make changes to the console depending upon the amount of funds raised. A better product would have all the features, period.

Use the stretch goals to produce additional add-ons or other things not directly related to the specifications.

I'm not advising them what to do (they'd ignore it anyway); I'm going by their past RVGS IndieGoGo campaign:

Stretch Goals

At our minimum goal of $1,950,000, RETRO VGS comes to life and will play a wide variety of fun, high-quality games. After that, the more success our campaign receives, the more we put into RETRO VGS.

Unprecedented Flexibility

At $3,100,000—about 60% more than our minimum goal—we increase the size of our FPGA, making RETRO VGS the first video game system capable of recreating classic systems through reshaping its own hardware!

At $3,800,000—less than twice our minimum goal—we increase the size of our FPGA again, nearly doubling its size from the previous goal.

• Like 1

Maybe that's already happened? Because we're only 2 days away, and you'd think they'd have to have stuff ready to roll. Tested. Debugged. All set. Ready to turn the switch. Just like cartridges!

I would seriously lose faith in kickstarter if they let the SNES prototype through.. Not that I buy crowdfunded goods in the first place. Seems like a magnet for these sorts of shenanigans. I prefer real retail or amazon/ebay.

• Like 1

I would seriously lose faith in kickstarter if they let the SNES prototype through..

Given that some projects with genuine promise have been cancelled over less, I agree. For the first few days, I can give Kickstarter the benefit of the doubt, because they likely won't know it's a fake prototype. However, I'm SURE the complaints will roll in, and if Kickstarter doesn't at least address them by Day 7... well, I'd be very hesitant to ever back another hardware project there.

Full disclosure: I love kickstarter, and back stuff all the time, and never been burned-- BUT, I'm very selective about what I back. Even if I hadn't known about Mike or AtariAge, this is a project I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

• Like 6

Backing consoles on Kickstarter, regardless of the current rep of the campaign organizers is something where you should always be wary.

Ouya is the gold standard. It literally had everything going for it, did absolutely everything right, was not only funded but succeeded beyond everyone's wildest dreams. There was even (admittedly naive) talk that it would unseat one of the major hardware players.

It bombed. Immediately. The second the Kickstarter ended, Ouya's problems began, and didn't end until the thing was gathering dust in clearance bins. Ouya *IS* the absolute best-case scenario for anyone pitching a console on Kickstarter, and it didn't work out. With that in mind, the Jaguar-of-Lies is better off not even trying.

• Like 9

Full disclosure: I love kickstarter, and back stuff all the time, and never been burned-- BUT, I'm very selective about what I back. Even if I hadn't known about Mike or AtariAge, this is a project I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

I'm just simply cautious with KS stuff. If there was something I wanted to get I *might* support it. There is this one battery charging cable for ipads that kills all power once it's fully charged. A nice thing, because when you leave an iDevice on the tap for days, it cycles back and forth between 99.9% and 100% charge. These cycles add up and constitute a full 100% - 0% - 100% cycle over a weeks time more or less.

So yes, you eliminate unnecessary cycling.

Pro-tip #1 Lithium batteries are typically good for 700-1000 full cycles. You can extend that if you're gentle with the charge and discharge rates.

Pro-tip #2 The sweet spot for power delivery and longevity, or operating range so to speak, is 30% - 70%. Try not to go below 30% or charge above 70% for any length of time. Your battery will last longest if operated in that range. Many thousands of cycles. In any case, don't ever go close to 0%, it will never recover. Hopefully most mfgs have a spare reserve cutoff that you don't know about and 0% is actually 10%.

I will assume that immediately means within a month of the ending date. What caused the turn in fortune?

I didn't have one myself, but common complaints seemed to be delayed delivery (very common Kickstarter issue, not specific to Ouya), stock controller was impractical, pairing with other controllers was flaky at best, online store was a poor experience, and generally the feeling that it really was failing to be more than yet another Android box. Then the hardware revision plan came to light, where they planned a minor update to the hardware every year, and a lot of users checked out at that point. The fact that a single killer app didn't materialize just made the situation worse.

• Like 2

I will assume that immediately means within a month of the ending date. What caused the turn in fortune?

All kinds of shit. (as I recall, I didn't back, I might be wrong) They were selling units to the public before all the backers had theirs. Once they did get them the hardware had issues like crap controllers, shitty wifi connection and input lag.

I agree that the OUYA was a perfect Kickstarter project. They did everything right and the stuff they got wrong on the hardware side sucks but it's could have been waaaay worse and plenty of users reported that they were satisfied with what they got and didn't encounter those problems. The biggest problem for the Ouya though, is that is disproves all those stupid ass click bait headlines about how the mobile app games industry rakes in approximately $9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 worth of profit every year.

I'm sure there are some companies like Rovio that made mega bucks and skew the averages but they are far from what the typical app game devs pull in. The sales weren't there, those figures are a lie. Instead, the real-life research proved that when people got their OUYA, they tried out all the free demos they could, used up whatever app store vouchers came with it, and once they got bored they dropped their OUYA off at Goodwill. So that's where OUYA failed- it proved, and I argue every set top box since had proved, that there is no money in cell phone game consoles. They did everything right, but the idea itself is flawed because it's something a lot of companies really want to push onto consumers but most consumers just don't care to buy.

Sorry to go off topic, but you asked.

• Like 3

I never even thought about the Kickstarter stretch goals this time around. I'm predicting more of the same based on FPGAs. Or maybe he just won't have stretch goals to try and pocket all the money he can get if his campaign is successful.

Regarding the Ouya, I'm not sure why so many people rag on it like they do. My only beef with it is the controller is iffy (mainly because of the D-pad) and the menu system is slow, but I got exactly out of it what I bought it for. What kind of expectations did people have for a $99 Android gaming device? I never backed it because I was fine waiting for retail to see if it came to fruition, but it seems like if someone was to be disappointed with the Ouya, they must have backed it because they were idiots and wanted a new gadget and threw down their money just to get it without thinking how it'd actually work for them in their gaming lives. Not to mention it was a quality console with USB/HDMI/online/etc. for the price of a few plug n' play units, what were people expecting out of Android games?

I will say, though, commercially speaking, I think the Ouya is as good as it'll get from a crowdfunded console.

• Like 3