IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Really? We're going to compare Mike Kennedy to Charles Ponzi? Why didn't you just go with Bernie Madoff while you're at it? Has Godwin's Law been satisfied yet? Has Kennedy been compared to Hitler?

Mike Kennedy is, at worst, a really bad businessman. Oooooooh. You build the gallows and I'll tie the knot.

Edit: As usual, Random Terrain is the only one speaking sensibly around here.

Do agree Ponzi could scam way better then Mike, most people are comparing him to George-costanza.jpg

More of a joker than a scammer

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 2

Really? We're going to compare Mike Kennedy to Charles Ponzi? Why didn't you just go with Bernie Madoff while you're at it? Has Godwin's Law been satisfied yet? Has Kennedy been compared to Hitler?

Mike Kennedy is, at worst, a really bad businessman. Oooooooh. You build the gallows and I'll tie the knot.

I was going to say MK is really Xenu, but talking about religion is kind of frowned upon. So I won' t mention it.

• Like 1

Tie what you want, 4 days of forum posts it's no more than a slap in the wrist.

I see you get touchy on this, maybe on your meter Mike paid enough but we don't have to share in on that view.

I don't buy the "he's human" because we all are humans so we all deserve to be treated respectfully, don't we?

• Like 4

Tie what you want, 4 days of forum posts it's no more than a slap in the wrist.

I see you get touchy on this, maybe on your meter Mike paid enough but we don't have to share in on that view.

I don't buy the "he's human" because we all are humans so we all deserve to be treated respectfully, don't we?

I think that you guys are getting WAAAY too riled-up about a piece of vaporware video gaming hardware. The only thing that anyone needs to do is to stop supporting Mike's ventures in the gaming industry. What is it that you want? Prison time?

• Like 7

Just for laughs, Coleco should hire Kevtris to examine all of Mike's prototypes.

It would be total overkill, but I would do it just to watch the blood drain from Mike's face when Kevtris walked into the room.

Although I would very much like that Kevtris or someone else would check out their prototype, I think it is more likely that Mike will break with Coleco before Coleco can send someone over. When Mike knows that he has nothing concrete to show, better break with Coleco than let someone confirm there is nothing and losing face even more. Then he can claim he stepped out of Coleco because of some "disagreements" or "differences in views" instead of that Coleco threw him out.

Robert

• Like 2

I just subscribed to AA. Originally I came here because I needed to get back to forums, which I used a lot

earlier on. It was at that time that I found the RETRO VGS thread. And this is where I am.

This thread is the killer app of AA.

• Like 7

Good lawd, is that a RetroVGS CD or BluRay system?
Still looks like a Toilet though. FLUSH

I found photographic proof that the hardware guy exists. I'm 99% positive the image on the right is who Piko spoke to over the phone, the legendary Mr. Li / Lee

12814670_1046845662027671_35684956662635

Nah, Coleco posted that. I get the sarcasm though.

Coleco didn't post the message. Mike did. This is his way to weasel out without saying a word. Coleco finds non-working prototype and "pulls the page". Mike says well I tried. The end.

Hmmm, They can hire some experts, but, I don't know. Probably someone from a local computer firm if they are serious, a college computer engineering professor with credentials.

Pardon my ignorance, but have they disclosed who is "investigating" this mess? I mean, I wouldn't trust their team to find a "clean" guy to investigate what the system is.

Not only that, but I have to ask... why do they need seven days? I mean, it took this forum far less than that to determine it was a DVR card. All the "investigator" would have to do is open the shell, look at the picture of the card, notice the hot glued usb cords, led light powered by a hidden battery pack, and jaguar cart resting (unconnected) on the board, and go... "Yep. Fake".

It is quite the interesting idea, but maybe 2 years ahead of it's time for cost/performance and the maturity of the cores.

There is a project called FPGA Arcade and the Replay Boards that go with that. Also, there is the MiST and MiniMig systems,but those are more related to old Commodore Amiga and Atari ST computers.

If you snoope in the FPGA Arcade forums, you can see the state of various open source cores (the Virtual Hardware Definition Language code which are used to program, essentially flash, a chip into being configured to run logic like the programmed platform).

And, certainly look up the web for Kevtris, aka Kevin Horton, the man stays busy, and is making something a bit friendlier than the Chameleon, that will just apparently use SD cards and you download your own roms.

For me, Hardware emulation has the potential to highly eliminate the input lag and occasional slowdown in emulators.

Wow, this story is unreal. I still want to buy this thing, if it is real. Perhaps it was just faked for the show because they were under time constraints (trying to find the best case scenario). I've read about scammy kickstarters before, however. I don't know what to think yet. Subbed. :)

Hardware emulation does sound neat. I'd buy it just for the possibility of putting carts of different types into it. (If that is what it is, and I'm understanding it correctly.)

Edited by RupanIII
  • Like 2

well, i feel that often the sellers never know what they have, or they dont have the means to get that kind of money for it. some of those big game hunter vids, he really leans on the people selling stuff, to the point of badgering them with lowball offers. i watched one vid last night and there was a boxed computer system that they wanted $100 for, he didnt want to leave it there. he waited to see if they'd take his offer, they said no, he came back, offered them $60 or 65, they said no, he came back a third time and offered them 80 or 85. bottom line, mike is the kind of guy that wouldnt feel bad buying 17 neo geo games and a system from someone for $650 and turning around and flipping it all for max profit. i would like to think i still live in a world where most people around me would feel guilty taking that big of an advantage of people who need money.

edit: also, i forgot to mention that he talked the sellers down from $1000 to $650...so maybe they did know a little bit of what they had. who knows! he probably shot em a 450 offer to start out.

There is a difference between giving low ball offers with the intention of flipping them for a profit and committing fraud with a fake prototype. The first is one of the ways the free market works and the latter is an example of actually ripping people off. Whenever I say something like,"I got this for a steal!" I don't literally mean I'm stealing because getting a good deal isn't theft.

• Like 2

I noticed that some in here have subscribed in this thread. So, I sent Albert my $50. But not just to help put out the server fire but because I find it ironic that I can help crowdfund the site that ended any chance of this scam getting crowdfunded and that others are making more money off the Retro Vaporware Game System than Mike is.

• Like 10

I think that you guys are getting WAAAY too riled-up about a piece of vaporware video gaming hardware. The only thing that anyone needs to do is to stop supporting Mike's ventures in the gaming industry. What is it that you want? Prison time?

It seems some of us have more of a Christian, forgiving attitude than others, but haven't we turned the other cheek so many times now that the only thing left is to offer up your arse cheeks? - rather you than me.

The only thing that needs to stop is people giving him and his buddies a break and another opportunity to get the foot back in the door. Nobody is demanding legal action, just some real, honest, heart-felt accountability for both him and his cronies. Not PR shite mumbo-jumbo and no bullshit distancing, pretending stuff never happened and they weren't really all that involved when they were balls-deep.

The quest for truth regarding others around him is still a thing and it needs to be. Gamester81 posted a few words here that were more of an olive branch than an apology. His posts elsewhere were far less sincere and did not address the issues people have with his actions, in fact they once again dismissed any negativity towards him as hate simply because he was involved in making games, which is pure politician-level denial spin... we all know the real issues involve backing MK all the way with RVGS, the infomercial on his channel that magically disappeared a very short while after it was posted in the CC thread on GAF, and the insulting way he dismissed us AAers in the previous thread.

On the subject of AAers and these new members here thanks to these threads, those that you believe are here to promote themselves and their outlets - yes, there is some of that, but IMO SD&R is not one of them, no way - he's one of maybe a dozen or so posters who have had real, genuine and valuable input to the discussion and I don't see how he's benefitted in any way, in fact he's probably put more hours into getting the word out in a digestible, interesting and level-headed way, (without resorting to cheap rants, for example) than anyone I can think of.

EDIT: post got really c'n'p mangled :/

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 11

From the Colecovision FB page bout a half hour ago:

Chameleon Product: We are thankful to have a large group of passionate engineers and retro game enthusiasts who follow Coleco and other product lines. It has come to our attention that the community has certain concerns over the prototypes involving the Retro VGS model. The team at Retro remains confident that their product is developed to the extent as describe; HOWEVER, in order to confirm or debase these concerns, Coleco has demanded to inspect the prototype units within a seven day time frame. At which time, independent engineers will review their findings and determine if those units are up to our standards. We will report some or all of those findings to the community so as long as they do not interfere with proprietary information. We remain hopeful that the community's concerns are merely speculations, but if there is merit to the concerns, then we have no choice but to abandon the project rather than release a sub-par product. During this time, we ask that the community allow us time to complete these inspections. Time extensions will only be granted if requested by the independent engineer. Time extensions and results will be posted here.

Shit has really hit the fan now. Why did I log off minutes before this was posted??? :???:

very reasonable. skip to about 11 minutes in.

He sure does make a lot of assumptions and everything he says can be counterargumented. I am not saying that holding company owning the Coleco

name is at fault, or not, but he knows for sure that they have nothing to do with anything other than selling the use of the name Coleco. He also knows for

sure that Gamester81 has absolutely nothing to do with the RETRO/CC other than he wants to make games.

I think the holding company should be the ones checking who they license to. I also think that Gamester81 was heavenly involved.

By the way, do Gamester81 make these games himself, or is his named used because he's a youtube-celebrity?

I doubt Gamester81 makes any games, he is part of collectorvision for Marketing and a Youtube celebrity

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only valid point he makes is why harass someone that has totally denounced this project called CC/Retro VGS

and it doesn't help our cause by harassing him

Our issues are with Mike and his lack professionalism

• Like 2

very reasonable. skip to about 11 minutes in.

That video was OK for about a quarter of an hour - his understanding of what happened with RVGS/CC up to this point was better than most.

But after that it's just gamester81-is-my-buddy-leave-britney-alone.

Meh.

I doubt Gamester81 makes any games, he is part of collectorvision for Marketing and a Youtube celebrity

Which is precisely why MK was using him to pimp his non-console to a massive amount of YT subscribers.

Deleting the AA haters infomercial does not mean it never happened.

I understand wanting to distance yourself and abandon the sinking vessel, leaving only Captain Kennedy to go down with the USS Chameleon, but leave the marketing/PR skills at the door. Do it real and do it fully, and keep it consistent from YT to AA to facebook to twitter, don't butter it up for the more discerning audience who are less likely to shrug it off.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 4