IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I'd buy that for a dollar. And since competition is essential for a healthy marketplace, it's time to unleash the true Odyssey 3. Introducing: MAGNAVOX MONITOR LIZARD. Coming soon to all major crowdfunding platforms. We will blow your hair back. Wait for our official announcement, scheduled one year from tomorrow. post-2410-0-92300400-1456229022_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

As others have stated i can't for the life of me believe when they claim to have made a custom FPGA when they can't even wire up a power button or LED. It's like a car manufacturer claiming they have invented a new kind of revolutionary engine that will take you across the continent in one tank of petrol, while failing to install a steering wheel or wire up the headlights on the same car.

• Like 2

Very nice synopsis, and great find on the "back half of the SNES [mini]".

There_Are_Four_Lights_zpsfnmrelkc.jpg

EDIT: "You have reached your limit of votes for the day". Wow, this thread is so full of awesome posts, I can no longer like anything else for another day :P. Kudos. Kudos to you all.

A mere $5 is the price of admission for one month of entertainment and unlimited "likes"! Step right up and see the tattooed lady; her body covered in art from head to toe. Watch Elasticman; the man with rubber for skin. Contortio will move in ways you've never thought possible! See the Mutant Toys! And now folks, if you will just step this way, you are about to witness a most amazing, the most outstanding living monstrosity of all time; one that reflects any image you wish and must be put behind Plexiglas for its protection and yours. Step right up!

post-39941-0-43738300-1456233893_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

As others have stated i can't for the life of me believe when they claim to have made a custom FPGA when they can't even wire up a power button or LED. It's like a car manufacturer claiming they have invented a new kind of revolutionary engine that will take you across the continent in one tank of petrol, while failing to install a steering wheel or wire up the headlights on the same car.

Well put. Professionals make it look easy to bring a product from idea to reality. This project would do well to embrace its amateur origins. They aren't fooling anyone with their evasion and partial truths.

• Like 3

Yep the original RVGS IGG compaign.

Here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/

I looked over the original RVGS campaign posting, and I couldn't find any features that are not also in the current system.

In fact, I didn't see any mention of the RVGS playing old games from their original cartridges - I got the impression that it would only play its own custom format of cartridge. The idea of playing old cartridges through add-on adapters seems to be a new Coleco Chameleon feature...

I guess we'll just have to wait until Friday to compare the campaigns and see what the differences are. Pretty impressive if they can now build the same level of system for a fraction of the development cost and price...

I looked over the original RVGS campaign posting, and I couldn't find any features that are not also in the current system.

In fact, I didn't see any mention of the RVGS playing old games from their original cartridges - I got the impression that it would only play its own custom format of cartridge. The idea of playing old cartridges through add-on adapters seems to be a new Coleco Chameleon feature...

You may have missed it, but earlier in this thread I referred to a post from Kennedy/Parrothead of last year where he said the RVGS would have cartridge adapters. When the IndieGoGo campaign came around two or three weeks later, they weren't to be found -- and the machine was a lot less powerful than promised.

Mostly what has changed is the name, some games and the price. We don't know if it'll be an 8 and 16 bit machine, or still 8-32 as mentioned in one article.

• Like 3

The anouncement for the RVGS cart adapters was on FB, for sure. Everyone went nuts with excitement, but it just made me scratch my head. Probably deleted now.

Yeah, they are quoted on several places in this thread. Those cart adapters were announced for the RVGS, then disappeared completely only to resurface recently.

The thing with those adapters is that they are a dual-edged sword for MK and his cronies, on one hand it might make their system interesting for people with a heap of cartridges around, on the other hand it kinda makes their own carts obsolete and moot to sell at all, and given that they are releasing CV and Inty compilations they are of course more interested in selling them than any adapter.

Also imagine situation with a SNES-adapter. You get hold of the very same games they are selling on their own carts online, put them on a SNES flash cart and the adapter. Suddenly there is absolutely no point in buying MK's carts anymore.

None of this would be an issue if their own games were exclusive for this system only. Rehashing old games and re-releases will give you this problem.

I will find where they state it is on when it is plugged in and add that and also address the lack of a power light on this advanced 'prototype'.

I also think the "why composite video?" issue should be addressed. Why take the digitial signals generated on the FPGA board and convert them to interlaced analog composite when you natively have RGB ? Just so you can reuse a cheapo SNES cable and connector? On top of that, they lug a composite tube monitor from Cali to New York as a display when a DVI to HDMI adaptor and a much lighter LCD TV would have sufficed.

Makes absolutely no sense.

They could totally turn this around by announcing it as the 1st system that lets you re-play your old games AND your old console motherboards!

Anyone remember the hardware you could buy (and probably sill can buy) that let you you plug in JAMMA boards and play them on a regular TV. Came with it's own joysticks too.

edit: It's a SuperGun. I was blanking on the name. I'm getting old...

Maybe Mike is making the modern equivalent -- a system you could plug real cartridges and console motherboards (sans shell) like JAMMA boards.

Edited by rob_ocelot