IGNORED

How hard is it to source a Falcon?

I've got Atari STs and Amiga's in my past and in my computer room, but I've been more of an Amiga guy. I'm loving the Falcon scenedemo releases though. I kinda want one.

How hard is it to find a Falcon and how much do they usually go for? I see none on eBay right now.

Thanks.

My 520ST:

http://www.bytecellar.com/2007/06/17/my_atari_520st/

I got my first one on Ebay for $400 a few years ago. Got a second one in a bundle for $1000 but it had a lot of rare things, including a LCD monitor and EtherNec networking card (as well as joysticks, Jaguar controller, etc. etc. etc.) so I felt that was an exceptionally good deal.

Try doing a search on Ebay for "sold listings" with Atari Falcon 030 and you might get a better idea.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Atari%20Falcon%20030&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Well, I have 3 Amigas. 1 520ST 4MB. Falcon would be nice. Can the 16-bit bus be addressed with an accelerator? Surely not cheaply.

There will be new batch of CT63 accelerators: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=28023

btw here you have one on ebay (1 day left):

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Atari-Falcon-030-4MB-Speicher-80MB-HDD-mit-installierter-Software-Buchern-/141862590601?hash=item2107ab5889

Edited by calimero

I think mine was around $800 USD, and I got it last month from someone on Amibay. Had to wait a while so he could get a hold of a US PSU and build a VGA cable, but I got it and it works great (have some Math Co-processors on the way now as well, along with a NetUSBee for it.)

But it seems that if you're in the US like I am, you pretty much are going to end up having to source one from across the pond.

• 1 month later...

I've been wondering lately if I really NEED a Falcon for anything ST related?

My STe has

-4mb ram, so can play many cool demo's and games

-Highest game compatibility

-Stereo out

-extra Joystick ports

I'm just not sure what i'd do with the extra capabilities of the Falcon that would warrant the price, and there are a few compatibility issues with games too that make me think the STe may be all I need.

So I ask, what can you do on a Falcon that kicks so much ass and can't be done on other tuned up ST machines?

To be honest, dropping $500ish on a Falcon seems a bit extreme unless you're a diehard collector. Yes, the Falcon does have the DSP, 640x480 in color, more colors on the screen, and more RAM which allows you to run a better OS...but I think my money would be better spent elsewhere. Of course, if you're interesting in using this old system for daily use, want to code the games & demos for one of the most capable systems in the ST lines, or just want collector bragging rights, then get yourself a Falcon with 14 megs. It's definitely a gem in my collection.

I'd love to get 14 megs for my Falcon but dropping that kinda cash on that little of RAM is hard to come to terms with especially when I haven't purchased floppy solutions for my other retro systems. Maybe etching a RAM board myself is a good project. Lots of fun chemicals to work with.

Had a Falcon from '92-'99. Wife got pregnant so the Falcon was sold to help financially during her maternity leave. I love the kid, but boy did I regret selling the Falcon. :)

A couple of years back I was able to reacquire a Falcon and I won't part with it willingly again. I really do enjoy it.

That being said, if Blake never owned a Falcon previously, I don't think he'll have the same connection to it. They are not inexpensive and the library of specific Falcon software is far from vast. My love for the Falcon is based on my prior usage and the fact that I had progressed from a 400 to an 800Xl to a 520ST to a 1040STe and then a Falcon. Sure its cool, plays mp3's, has kick ass demos, has a few enhanced games, and has great audio but at the end of the day you do end up using it with quite a bit of standard ST software.

I guess I need to know a bit more of Blake's Atari history to determine if I'd recommend the purchase.

I'd love to get 14 megs for my Falcon but dropping that kinda cash on that little of RAM is hard to come to terms with especially when I haven't purchased floppy solutions for my other retro systems. Maybe etching a RAM board myself is a good project. Lots of fun chemicals to work with.

I bought a Wizztronics 14Mb update from Best Electronics a couple of years back. I think it was right around $100. Brad included the 16mb SIMM with the purchase, but I don't see the included SIMM listed currently.

"The Best" Series Wizztronics 4 / 16 Meg Ram Solderless Plug in Falcon Upgrade Ram Board, uses a Single 72 pin 1 Meg, 4 Meg or 16 Meg "Low Profile" SIMM module (1 Meg or 4 Meg configurations requires one cut and solder joint on the upgrade board only, boards are shipped configured for 16 Meg SIMMs) Because of it Multi layer P.C. board design the Wizztronics 16 Meg Falcon Upgrade board is the same size as the Atari original equipment plug in Falcon ram cards. Typical 10 minute installation time with NO metal cutting or part / component removal required. Compared to most other Falcon Ram Upgrade boards Sip, Dip and 1 Meg SIMM type of Ram on the market, the Wizztronics Falcon Ram Upgrade board uses a single State of the Art 72 pin Micro Channel non composite SIMM, which means less Ram chips, which also means Less connections (Ram chips to SIMM and SIMM to socket) to go bad, Less Total Ram chips also means less Current draw on your Falcon power supply! CB102163 $99.00

My 14MB Falcon memory board is 55 Euro + shipping.

The memory chips are assembled to the PCB, this means no additional contact resistance because no Simm-Socket.

The adress-/data- etc lines to the chips are much shorter, no problem to use with overclocked Falcons.

Only NOS Chips used. (8 pcs)

No modification of the metal shield necessary.

-> PM

What would shipping be to Seattle, WA, USA, Earth?

My 14MB Falcon memory board is 55 Euro + shipping.

The memory chips are assembled to the PCB, this means no additional contact resistance because no Simm-Socket.

The adress-/data- etc lines to the chips are much shorter, no problem to use with overclocked Falcons.

Only NOS Chips used. (8 pcs)

No modification of the metal shield necessary.

-> PM

I've got Atari STs and Amiga's in my past and in my computer room, but I've been more of an Amiga guy. I'm loving the Falcon scenedemo releases though. I kinda want one.

How hard is it to find a Falcon and how much do they usually go for? I see none on eBay right now.

Thanks.

My 520ST:

http://www.bytecellar.com/2007/06/17/my_atari_520st/

I see one on ebay now. (not mine)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291681068964