IGNORED

Custom 2600 controller?

2 buttons in two different locations might make sense. For example, for left or right handed people or one on the base and one one the top of the stick. These are right next to one another. If it were a 7800 stick, it would make sense. One button is for "fire" and the other is for "up". Then one picture is a stock photo? I feel the seller has suffered some head trauma as t some point in their lives.

Gemstick had a 2 button 2600 version.

Edited by Justin Payne

Why the hell is there an "up" button? :ponder:

s-l1600.jpg

And please, get a router and bevel those edges. And use some sandpaper to rid it of splinters. My joystick is smooth and painted. Ambidextrous. Latest version has built in paddles -and- 7800 support. I can even switch joystick operation between 4-way and 8-way. Links in my sig. Not for sale...

joystick_envy_by_stardust4ever-d5vq08m.j

Pulley system for swapping joystick operation...

Why the hell is there an "up" button? :ponder:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm struggling to think of a title now but for some 2600 games up was more of an action button than a directional input. As you can imagine that's a little problematic to actually use while pushing left, right, or down, so having it on a button (I imagine) helps.

It seems to me you really shouldn't assign your buttons a static name to an action. Although it's good be be consistent with other games, it shouldn't be a requirement so there is really no need to say this button is for firing and this one is for jumping, especially when the buttons in the game do neither. There are many games that don't offer either action. Button A and B is a much better naming schema. Of course, in this controllers case, the B button probably stands for BS.

An 'up' button like that would be great for all the Amiga, ST and C64 platform games that use up for jump. This joystick would be compatible with all of those systems of course. :)

"Up to jump" would be a lot less problematic if there was a button for it. :)

Princess Rescue comes to mind. Though in that case it'd be better if the buttons were switched around.

Just like the NES A and B swapped places when using a good old Genesis controller. It took me a while to retrain my muscle memory for run and jump. Lotta stupid deaths but man that game was amazing. And yes, I did finally rescue the princess! :D

• Like 1