IGNORED

S.O.S Need Lynx 2 speaker help.

Stun Runner 87

Hello.

I have Two Lynx 2s.....

One of them ive had and been using for a long time and other than a minor scratch by the Atari logo, works 100% perfect.

A few weeks ago I picked up a second Lynx 2 to keep as a showpiece.

The other Lynx 2 i recently picked up is in mint condition and when I got it, it appeared to have never been used before.not a scratch or wear.

However, when I turned it on, the speaker volume seemed faint and kind of weak.

The other Lynx 2 that ive had for along time sounds almost 3 times as loud, speakers sound full, loud and even has bass. You can feel it when playing games on it. Perhaps it was reconditioned before. Works perfect.

Its a bummer, because the new one that I just picked up a few weeks ago looks mint, but seems like the speakers are real weak and at half stance volumewise. Also,it seems like the lit up picture seems to have linez of light behind it. Could this be because it wasn't used enough? It is upsetting because it looks twice as good and in aopearence looks brand new in comparison to my other lynx that works twice as good.

What I am asking, is if there is someone in this community that mods, or reconditions Atari Lynx's to work like brand new. Can anyone help me?

I need someone that can recondition, change speakers and backlight so that works as beautifully as its cosmetic condition.

If so, I would pay whatever your asking and send it to you for repairs.

Please help. ?

Edited by Stun Runner 87

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-40mm-16Ohm-16-0-5W-Audio-Speaker-Stereo-Woofer-Loudspeaker-Trumpet-Horn-/331233258709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1f0a6cd5

You'll love them. Just solder on the wires from the bad speakers, away you go! Loud, crisp, clear.

Thanks for the info. However I am horrible with electronical tech...LoL....I'm afraid I'd screw it up. Plus I know the only way to get inside a Lynx 2 requires removing the rubber grips which I'm afraid of ruining because the exterior of the Lynx I want repaired looks emaculate and i dont want to scratch it or something.....I prefer paying another with better skills than me to do it if possible.....

It would mean alot to me.....I'm sure anyone on AtariAge that could do this for me would do.a great job as most the people here are honest good people to do business with as I've had nothing but positive experiences dealing with people in this great community......If you know anyone that could fix it for me, please let me know, or if it wouldn't be too much trouble perhaps you could take on the job...Thank you for your reply friend. ✌

Also I think the inside components need cleaning, and buttons may need to be greased as they are stiff because of it sitting unused brand new in box for over 25 years.

Again, thank you for your time my friend.

Edited by Stun Runner 87

Anyone with skill here who could refurbish my Lynx2 here for me would mean a lot to me, and I would pay them for there time, shipping, parts and effort to make it worth it for whoever will take on the task.......I'm sure whatever the price asked would be fair and defimately worth it to me because I know most of the tech people here are good at what they do.

Thank you.

Edited by Stun Runner 87

I would recommend speaking with the guys at best electronics and described to them in full detail of the issues you have with your lynx II. They can hook you up with a new speaker for your lynx II. They've helped me with my Atari 600xl. I've also bought a reconditioned lynx II from them, which almost looked brand new.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/text.htm

Edited by Gio_16bits
  • Like 1

I would recommend speaking with the guys at best electronics. They can hook you up with a new speaker for your lynx II.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/text.htm

Thank you, Best Electronics is Awsome. There website is confusing though. LoL.....I've called there number and spoke to someone on the phone at best electronics lastweek about refurbishing my Lynx. They said they have the parts, but Dont do the refurbishing unfortunately...........I would definitely go with the Mylar speakers that GilSuluki suggested, but I still need someone to do the construction for me, id preferrably pay a Lynx expert here on AtariAge... I dont trust my electronic tech skills and i would probably break it, lol. ?

I actually was going to ask Bob about taking on the job, but I know he is more of a 7800 expert and is very tied up in many other projects at the moment.

He's a great guy and I've done business with him as far as 7800 carts and he even graciously autographed any carts I bought from him. ?

Edited by Stun Runner 87

I totally understand not wanting to mess up your pristine machine. I hated to lift up my rubber grips as well, but sometimes it has to be done. I don't know if he will work your Lynx but, Cowdog360 did my McWill screen upgrade. In fact he is starting a new service, website to come soon. Check him out under the McWill upgrade posts. You might PM with what you need. Sounds like he could do it no problem. He is gifted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to replace the speaker I'd recommend going for an 8 ohm Mylar instead of a 16 ohm speaker. It's quiet a bit louder than running a 16 ohm speaker (stock).

The Lynx 2 amp(s) are more than capable of running it. (It's well within the operating specs of the amp(s)).

My Lynx 2 is in surgery as we speak. ?

I know Cowdog360 offers refurb services and is based in the US. Maybe send him a PM.

Just want to thank you for hooking me up with cowdog. He received my Lynx in the mail and is going to do the whole overhaul of it. New screen, new capaciters, and the new mcwwill screen with optional scanlines. I really look forward to seeing the McWill.

Peace, ✌

This was a fun Lynx to work on.. we're talking pristine condition, it looked brand new. I think it turned out pretty good too, here's a gallery of the mods and upgrades I did on his Lynx, which included: New LCD, 8 ohm speaker, new flex circuit/pads, new caps, and new voltage regulator.

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/cowdog360/library/Atari%20Lynx%20Repairs/StunRunner87?sort=3&page=1

Edited by cowdog360
  • Like 1

This was a fun Lynx to work on.. we're talking pristine condition, it looked brand new. I think it turned out pretty good too, here's a gallery of the mods and upgrades I did on his Lynx, which included: New LCD, 8 ohm speaker, new flex circuit/pads, new caps, and new voltage regulator.

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/cowdog360/library/Atari%20Lynx%20Repairs/StunRunner87?sort=3&page=1

Thanks again bro. You are very professional and got true skills. I'm very pleased with the results from your work on my Lynx.

This screen is awesomeness in its most purest form. The speakers sound great also.

Thanks again bud. ✌