IGNORED

RadioShack RF Interference Filter 1500025

dsullo

Hello

I was able to score a 7800 system to get back into both 2600/7800 gaming. I noticed the picture quality through the standard RF is a little lacking. Somehow I remember it looking better as a child.

I was wondering if anyone has invested in a RF Interference Filter and it it makes a difference?

http://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-RF-Interference-Filter-1500025/dp/B00LMGM23E

Not that its a big investment , but I am looking for an inexpensive solution to get the best quality.

I've had the best luck with shielded cables. Since the RF cable connector is basically an RCA plug, I've bought shielded composite video cables and the like. But you have to be careful they'll fit into wherever the connector is located -- sometimes they're in a tight space. I don't recall about the 7800 specifically (I use a composite mod with my these days), but I recall seeing good improvement with a shielded cable when used with my Intellivision.

With ALL my RF systems, I've had better luck using some good shielded RG6 and putting an f type converter (below) on that for the system end. My picture immediately had less static and was less prone to being fussy by position of the cord (that is, it didn't seem to matter much any more if the cable moved/got jiggled). To be fair though, the composites I put this method up against were all "from the box" in my workshop. I don't think any of them were advertised as shielded, they were just typical RCAs.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

For a quick and cheap solution, get male RCA (has pins) to female F (has hole) and use a decent cable with F-type at both end to a TV or good quality RF switch box. Leave out the old RCA cable. Modern basic cable are cheaply made, and the good quality cable often comes bundled with multiple connectors like composite and 2 audio or 3 component. Don't need 3 and no need to waste $20+ for 3 cables that you won't use all.

I can definitely vouch for the shielded cables as they do provide better video quality in comparison to the RCA video cable + RF TV connector (at least for me). The one I use comes with a EMI RFI noise filter attached to prevent RFI and EMI interference to give you better audio and picture quality. Have a look here, it's probably the best quality you'll get using RF route- http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-2600-JUNIOR-RF-CABLE-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-FULLY-SHIELDED-GROUNDED-NEW-/201496432385?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=IejvkKLMjR%252Bkq5duYzBhmrXG7Mo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

*Note*- even though it's sold out, you can at least have a look at the cable to see what it looks like, plus the seller appears to have the same cord for the Commodore 64 for sale. You can always email them to ensure that it'll be compatible with the 7800 too.

Edited by Tartfox
  • Like 1

I use snap on Ferrite connectors. Snap a tight fitted ferrite on the cord near the console or near the TV side and I notice a good improvement. I did have to try out a few RCA cables as some are made better than others. The nice thing about a ferrite is that since it snaps on its not a problem to find a proper cable. I would say a snap on ferrite can improve your picture up to 25%.