IGNORED

Dumping Unreleased Wing War Cart from Steve DeFrisco

rkindig

Thanks for your help!!  However.....

I'm a bit concerned about inserting a cart into a hot machine.  That seems dangerous to both the machine and the cart ???

Nir Dary sent me instructions on using a breakout board (which the Wing War cart sits on top of) to copy the cart.  I'll give that a shot first.

thanks again!

Randy

21 minutes ago, rkindig said:

Thanks for your help!!  However.....

I'm a bit concerned about inserting a cart into a hot machine.  That seems dangerous to both the machine and the cart ???

Nir Dary sent me instructions on using a breakout board (which the Wing War cart sits on top of) to copy the cart.  I'll give that a shot first.

thanks again!

Randy

Did I miss something in previous posts? Can you open the cart and dump the eproms? Or use the AtariMax cart dumper?

John

1 minute ago, rkindig said:

read all the previous posts and you should be caught up

I did. It still doesn't answer the question of can you open the cart to dump the roms? Or if you took anyone up on an offer to send you AtariMax cart? Or have someone dump it for you.

Ok, I used the cartdump utility to dump the Wing War cart.  It's on the attached .atr file.

wwdump.atr

I'm trying to find a MacOSX utility that will let me manage an ATR, so I can pull the ROM file file off the disk image, but I haven't found anything that I can use yet.  Anyone know how to do that?

Randy

• Like 1

Under Win XP, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10 and Win 11 "MakeATR 0.6" by Soudi does the job.

Don't have a Macintosh, ermm, Apple Mac...

Attached you will find the ROM / BIN that I extracted from your ATR above. Unsure if the ROM works or not since I never played that game (it looks buggy to me, but maybe thats how the game looks and plays normally). Used Altirra to save it as a CAR image.

WINGWAR.ROM WingWar.car

• Like 1

Thank you Randy!

This prototype ROM differs from FULS's cartridge dump - looking at the first few hundred bytes, the only difference seems to be the prototype ROM has copy protection, i.e. additional instructions that write to ROM area.

Looking at FULS's cartridge, it seems to be a hack from the disk release of "Imagic 1-2-3". The version of Wing War on that disk loads into RAM at $4000-$7FFF. FULS's ROM is almost identical to that disk version, but it contains an initialization routine at $BFD8 that copies the whole ROM area from $8000-$BFFF to $4000-$7FFF, and runs the game from $4000.

So, the "Imagic 1-2-3" version seems to be identical to the prototype, only without the copy protection, and FULS's cartridge is made from the disk version.

Edited by Kr0tki
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...