IGNORED

Dead? 1040STf

Got a 1040STf a few years ago, Ebay. Slapped in TOS 1.04 and it was working, but from time to time it wouldn't startup, usually 2 bombs, sometimes 3 or 4, I opened up the system, re-set the chips and it would come back for a time, then the same problem. Any ideas? mainboard is rev. c, PSU looks OK, no distended caps, but I hear PSUs can be problematic on these systems.

Can anyone recommend a repair service? Anyone willing to take a look at it?

Dunno if it's worth the effort. Money is tight, but if anyone wants to trade a similar working system for a dead one + some cash, please drop me a line.

Thanks in advance,

-A.

Perform the Atari 'Universal 4" drop fix' Was a Technical Service procedure back in the day ;)

http://www.atari.org/hosted/quickfaq/stfaq_3.htm#6

Or open and reseat all socketed chips!

Might try it, as this seems to be the issue, and I really don't know the history of this system (unfortunatly), I have a PLC puller someplace, maybe I'll just pull and plug stuff and see what happens.

I'd probably look at changing the power supply (or at least re-capping it) regardless. The power supplies were fine back in the day, but they are getting on a bit. They are almost as old as I am, and I think I need a few parts changing :-D

Please don't do the drop, that case is getting more brittle by the day ;) If the machine works after reseating for a bit, I'd agree with TheNameOfTheGame, put some clips on those chips. You could also try and give the contacts a clean. If it's one of the square socketed chips it might be the pins have been bent back too much so you might want to replace the socket or at least try and ease the pins out a little so the contact is better.

You might need to get clips for those socketed chips. If the "drop" works, then definitely this is an issue.

the plc chips have clips on them, I have a PLC puller somewhere around here, might pop them out next time I open the system. Checked the 1.04 tos roms I put in, they look fine.

I don't know if the drop worked, the system seems to work fine the first boot up, so maybe the PSU or something is coming loose when it heats up?

I'd probably look at changing the power supply (or at least re-capping it) regardless. The power supplies were fine back in the day, but they are getting on a bit. They are almost as old as I am, and I think I need a few parts changing :-D

Please don't do the drop, that case is getting more brittle by the day ;) If the machine works after reseating for a bit, I'd agree with TheNameOfTheGame, put some clips on those chips. You could also try and give the contacts a clean. If it's one of the square socketed chips it might be the pins have been bent back too much so you might want to replace the socket or at least try and ease the pins out a little so the contact is better.

Thanks for the pin flexing advice. I'm not an avid solderer so for now I'll carefully check their springiness.

In the meantime, I bought a 1040 STe, working. I've never owned an STe anyways.

-A.