IGNORED

Launch titles

Clock

Gauntlet and Bill&Ted were also released with the system (1989).

In 1990 came APB, Blockout, Hard Drivin', Ishido, Klax, Ms, Pac Man, Paperboy, Road Blasters, Robo-Squash, Rygar, Shanghai, Slime World, Tournament Cyberball and Zarlor Mercenary.

Rampage didn't come around till '92.

To my knowledge, five games were released with the Lynx:

Blue Lightning

California Games

Chip's Challenge

Electrocop

Gates of Zendocon

These five games came in larger boxes than later releases, and also sported a flat cartridge style that's difficult to come across these days. I believe Gauntlet was the sixth game released. If you'd like to see the initial two cartridge styles (flat and ridged), check out these two pages:

Lynx Cartridge Styles - Flat

Lynx Cartridge Styles - Ridged

..Al

Thanks guys.

I actually got a ridged Chip's Challenge, I didn't realise they were so much rarer. Never seen a flat cart before though.

I don't really know how long the flat carts were produced versus the ridged ones. I just know that the ridged ones seem to be harder to come by, as Atari transitioned quickly to the curved lip style used exclusively by all later games (as well as the original releases). I would imagine that Atari produced the initial launch titles in fairly large quantities to help fill retail channels, and then the "ridged" design as a stopgap measure until they came out with the more refined curved lip style..

..Al

I recently bought Gates of Zendocon for my Lynx and was surprised that I got an original flat style card. I wasn't expecting that. It's the only flat card I have, the rest are curved lips.

Based on Zendocon, the box and manual reminded me of 7800 boxes and manuals. Could it be Atari had some blank 7800 box and manual stock leftover and used it for the early Lynx releases? Or did they just use the 7800 style until changing it?

harry got a bunch of these back in 1996 when don thomas was doing the

online auctions to clear out the atari warehouses.harry has told me he is

very partial to the flat carts when it comes to storage and all.back in those

days harry won an auction for a pile of lynx flat carts atari had left, sans

the game roms and sticker and stuff.he then pulled all his lynx carts apart

and converted them all to the flat format.this should answer this question

for all out there.i've never heard how many of these blanks harry got, but

he told me he got them cheap! :D --the ulltimate atari lynxer

Archived