IGNORED

Novel: Lucky Wander Boy

Jack-Ass Tramiel

Highly recommended. This novel deals with classic videogaming as its main theme, and there are even elaborate, philosophical examinations into Atari 2600 games (including Adventure), and classic gaming culture. There's even a scene set at the site where those Atari cartridges were buried in a landfill!

I'm a rather tough critic, but this definitely is the most profound work of fiction based on video games that I've ever read. The freaky ending made me go "WHOA".

Lucky Wander Boy, author D.B. Weiss. Came out last month, and it's only in softcover format for $13.

0452283949.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Still looking for the elusive Lucky Wander Boy MAME rom...

BTW, NARC was my "exit" from the Classic Video games. Although I do remember playing Bad Dudes with a college buddy occasionally...it became the "why play in the world I live in" where "Coke, Adds Life" was/is the slogan and Ronald Regan didn't speak, but "chattered" back at me.

Worth putting down the joystick and reading.

Humm I've checked the sample text from the book's homepage and it somehow feels like the story is a little made up or at least exaggerated to me.. is all of the book along the same lines?

Greets,

Rasty.-

rasty wrote:

Humm I've checked the sample text from the book's homepage and it somehow feels like the story is a little made up or at least exaggerated to me.. is all of the book along the same lines?

It's a fictional account. Although I understand it might be "loosely" based on the author's life.

rasty wrote:

It's a fictional account. Although I understand it might be "loosely" based on the author's life.

Oh, ok.. I messed that bit 8)

In that case, it looks cool indeed...!

Rasty.-

• 2 months later...

I'm about halfway through the book now and I'm really into it! Great incorporation of classic video game obsessions, which I can really relate to, but I think the book could actually reach a larger audience, since it's not JUST about said obsessions.

It's actually reminding me a lot of the writing style of Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami. (Clearly Weiss was influenced by Murakami... I think he even explicitly mentions him at one point in the book.)

Archived