IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

I've been curious about these and saw Vol. 1 and 2 at Gamestop this weekend. However, I had to just leave them. Sorry, but separating the games into 2 volumes really is a slap in the face and I just can't support it.

There was no choice. It was that, or these wouldn't be released. Perhaps you'll feel less of a face slapping from future volumes?

OK maybe my language was harsh. Perhaps I should have said I avoided a slap to the face, by not purchasing them. I just don't see how anyone can consider these worth the asking price unless your livelihood depended on them.

I think if you wait, these will be $10 each at some point. Maybe BF sales!

Love your avatar. I searched and found that graphic... Funny stuff!!

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-atari-flashback-classics-vol-1/2300-11711/

Jeff and Brad seem pretty OK with the collection, though I hope they've since figured out you can modify the controls to avoid auto-centering in paddle games.

For myself, the only thing I deeply regret wasn't included were any online leader boards for 2600 games. I much prefer playing the 2600 version of Millipede and Missile Command, and had a lot of fun in Microsoft's Game Room chasing scores with those games among others.

I'm definitely curious what is being considered for potential future volumes. If they can acquire third party titles, such as they've done for the physical Flashbacks, that would be the direction to go in. Even if it meant fewer included titles overall, I think there would be a lot of positive response if they could include games like Berserk, Phoenix and Vanguard (I hesitate to mention any Activision titles, because while they have a strong 2600 library, they seem to traditionally put those out on their own -Game Room excepted, I suppose)

Edited by Akito01

I'm definitely curious what is being considered for potential future volumes. If they can acquire third party titles, such as they've done for the physical Flashbacks, that would be the direction to go in. Even if it meant fewer included titles overall, I think there would be a lot of positive response if they could include games like Berserk, Phoenix and Vanguard (I hesitate to mention any Activision titles, because while they have a strong 2600 library, they seem to traditionally put those out on their own -Game Room excepted, I suppose)

Everything is on the table, including different platforms.

What cheat are you referring to?

under game options, some of the arcade games have a setting 'cheat mode - on / off'

i was going to make a list, but only a few games have it.

millipede has it also, which turns off collisions with everything except spiders.

for tempest, it allows you to do a stage select up to level 81

later

• Like 1

under game options, some of the arcade games have a setting 'cheat mode - on / off'

Very cool! I wonder can you still get achievements for enabling cheats?

Quick tip for easily getting the top score on the local leaderboards on the Arcade Crystal Castles (Vol 2)

There is a warp in the very back of the first stage that takes you to the 3rd level and gives you about 140k points when you do it. You just have to move Bently to the back and jump up.

I'm sure most people know this, but figured I'd mention it. Easy way to get that achievement!

Very cool! I wonder can you still get achievements for enabling cheats?

Quick tip for easily getting the top score on the local leaderboards on the Arcade Crystal Castles (Vol 2)

There is a warp in the very back of the first stage that takes you to the 3rd level and gives you about 140k points when you do it. You just have to move Bently to the back and jump up.

I'm sure most people know this, but figured I'd mention it. Easy way to get that achievement!

Yes, you can get achievements, and you can also alter all the other settings to make it easier.

obviously, anything besides defaults disqualifies leaderboard scores.

later

Check out the Giant Bomb video on YouTube that was mentioned earlier. I scanned it a bit the other day and they spent a lot of time with Black Widow and a little bit with several other vector games. You'll get a pretty good idea of what the color and the b&w vector titles look like.

Doesn't look like they tried to replicate the glow of a vector monitor, but it looks clean and sharp.

Edited by Atariboy

Check out the Giant Bomb video on YouTube that was mentioned earlier. I scanned it a bit the other day and they spent a lot of time with Black Widow and a little bit with several other vector games. You'll get a pretty good idea of what the color and the b&w vector titles look like.

Doesn't look like they tried to replicate the glow of a vector monitor, but it looks clean and sharp.

There are actually a few different display options for Vector games, including ones that simulate the glow. They're my preferred option - reminds me of being at the arcade!

• Like 1

There are actually a few different display options for Vector games, including ones that simulate the glow. They're my preferred option - reminds me of being at the arcade!

i stand corrected, yes, there are options

----

standard - has glow

bold - makes everything look fuzzy

realistic - less glow

no glow - no glow

at high resolutions on the pc, everything looks very thin, but if you match the resolutions, then yes, they look good.

i forget if there is a screen rotate option or not.

later

ok, i've been testing the anthology on the xbox one with alternate controllers.

as mentioned here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253262-atari-flashback-classics-for-the-xb1ps4/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3534730

basically, i have a USB spinner, a USB trackball, and also joysticks to use...

by the way, none of the in game options (except relative) have much effect.

arcade games (only so far)

=====================================

asteroids and asteroids deluxe, space duel - remapped these to buttons on the joystick, all of them play well

centipede, millipede and missile command - using the trackball has resulted in much better play, but still haven't found the best settings for missile command

super breakout, tempest and warlords - spinner, makes a huge difference

and for fun, mapped sprint 2 - spinner, and was actually able to get much higher scores, and finish races

playing with the analog stick, and d-pad is pretty terrible for most of the games, even with the options settings.

there is just no feel for the games, like using better controllers.

i haven't tried messing around with major havoc yet, but that and liberator are coming up also.

later

• Like 1

These are only $15 at Gamestop during their Black Friday sale.

Yep, and I ordered both yesterday from the Gamestop website along with a few other games I'd been wanting to get. I think $30 for both is a fair deal. Earlier in this thread, I kinda crapped on the price but I do love these (Atari) games and I want to support the publisher. Plus, how cool will it be to get some trophies for playing these?? So... who has the Trophy/Achievement guide??

Yep, and I ordered both yesterday from the Gamestop website along with a few other games I'd been wanting to get. I think $30 for both is a fair deal. Earlier in this thread, I kinda crapped on the price but I do love these (Atari) games and I want to support the publisher. Plus, how cool will it be to get some trophies for playing these?? So... who has the Trophy/Achievement guide??

I've seen the achievement lists, but no type of guides yet. Most are pretty self explanatory though....

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/atari-flashback-classics-volume-1/achievements/

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/atari-flashback-classics-volume-2/achievements/