IGNORED

800XE PAL help

:ponder:

Hi, you should be able to use a US 110v XL/XE power supply (e.g brick).

Or you need a "step-up" convertor. You plug the original PSU plug into it, and the convertor into your wall socket/power bar. Remember a simple travel adaptor will not cut it. You can buy them cheap cheap in the States, online.

The 800XE is PAL B, if your TV has a problem tuning in to the signal in the first place then buy an XL/XE monitor out to Composite cable. Get one from Best, B&C or Ben sells them on his site (see the "won't pay B&C prices" thread).

The composite cable will get around any issue with simply finding the signal. All you are left with then is any issues with your TV or VCR in watching PAL.

An excellent VCR (somewhat pricey) that will cover every format under the sun is the Samsung Worldwide VCR. You'd be able to have an input signal in PAL B (800XE) and output it to NTSC on your TV. There will be equivalent models out there, the Samsung Worldwide VCR is just an excellent beast.

you can use you standard 800xl POWER supply, both North American & Europain gives the same output power (5v) while their input is different (110v or 220v)

as for NTSC-PAL converter do you mean a converter for the Monitor to convert PAL Video signal to NTSC?

I just switched out my NTSC ANTIC chip for the PAL ANTIC and all I had to do to my composite monitor was adjust the horizontal hold to get it to stop flipping. Wouldn't this also work with a PAL 8-bit? Or is the fact that I still have a NTSC GTIA chip make a difference? I wouldn't think so though...I'm pretty sure if you just connect it with composite or chroma/lumina(S-video) video input all you'll have to do is adjust the horizontal hold on your TV/monitor...

Usually there is a little dial either in the back or inside a door where adjustment dials are placed, sometimes it's just a hole in the back thatyou have to insert a small screwdriver into to adjust, it's always labeled H-hold or horizontal hold. Very rarely you may have to open up the TV/monitor and look for an adjustment pot inside on the motherboard of the tv/monitor somewhere. This is more likely on newer TVs since everything seems to have gone onto the remote control and if you lose the remote, you're screwed! :x Get a TV/monitor (composite) about 10-15 years old, these are the ones that usually have easy access to manual adjustments. Most will still have perfectly good picture too and the computers were made for these types of tvs/monitors anyway. Newer is not always better when dealing with older consoles&computers...plus, you can get them for cheap. I picked up my composite monitor (Apple IIe composite color) for $25 and a 20 inch toshiba tv with RCA composite video for $20, both have excellent pictures and I use them for my older console&computers. Only consoles&computers I have from the 90's forward are used on the newer TV's/monitors I have.

Archived