IGNORED

Different height sticks?

deltronik

My recently acquired 5200 4-port came with 4 controllers. Two that have darker orange action buttons and two that have brighter orange action buttons. The dark ones only have Atari and logo stamped on them. The bright ones also have Mexico and a serial number stamped in the smooth area below the logo. Aside from the buttons on the "dark" ones working better, I noticed no other differences... until I went to restore them and make a 5200 paddle controller.

The ones without a manufacturing stamp on them have taller joysticks and rubber boot!

I know that there were a lot of revisions to the flex board and buttons, but had not read about any difference in stick height. Has anyone else seen this or were these tampered with?

post-46945-0-66371600-1467585050_thumb.jpg

Yeah that's what I thought, the funny part is I have two of these that are too tall, both with lack of markings as opposed to the newer looking "Mexico" models. They both appear older, but work better. I'm guessing they were rebuilt long ago and maybe put back together or torn apart wrong.

I tore one of the "Mexico" models down and turned it into a paddle controller, cleaned it up, but the fire buttons are still hit or miss. Someone had tried to use solder to add to the pad. I pulled the solder off, but they need new buttons.

I'm gonna tear down a tall stick now to see how it was put together, i"m not sure how they'd get the boot installed like that.

edit/

oh just saw the High profile boot option you quoted. Interesting. Would these have come installed on some controllers from the factory? Even with the handle pressed down to the taller boot, it would still sit higher than the other controllers.

Edited by deltronik

Cool, yours do appear basically the same height.

I am wondering if their is a suggested or perceived advantage to the high profile boot? I was thinking that maybe the taller boot would help the stick self-center easier because it would apply force further from the joystick pivot, but it doesn't really seem to on mine.

There does seem to be less resistance to movement toward the extreme edges of the joystick using the high profile boot; i.e. the rubber doesn't bind as much. Maybe the taller boot is just meant to reduce the wear of the boot itself.

I think the higher boot was a later revision, intended to improve centering a bit. FWIW I have joysticks with the higher and shorter boots and the ones with the taller boots work better for me. Could just be the controllers overall are better, I don't know. They do seem to center a little better though.

Yeah, the buttons on the taller boot controllers I have work much better. They also have rev 9 flex boards vs rev 7 on the low profile "Mexico" controllers.

I can't really note a major improvement in centering, but I was only comparing feel with the console off. I wonder if load up missile command, would the High Profile Boot center more accurately or consistently.

It's funny that the better working controllers with tall boots look so much older and more used due to the dark coloring of the action buttons. Even though the buttons don't spring back as well, they actually work. The number pads are all the same cigarette smoke discolored yellow.

Looks like I'll just need a few sets of buttons to restore these. Both the rev 9 and rev 7 boards cleaned up well and work fine with a good set of buttons.

Edited by deltronik

• 2 weeks later...

I think the higher boot was a later revision, intended to improve centering a bit. FWIW I have joysticks with the higher and shorter boots and the ones with the taller boots work better for me. Could just be the controllers overall are better, I don't know. They do seem to center a little better though.

I second this. I have a controller with and older lower profile boot and the newer one dated 1987 witha a Rev 9 flex circuit, the latter one centers much easier and feels better in general.

I took both apart and the pots also seem to be different, I think the pots on the '87 controller had better movement in general.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk