IGNORED

Ethernet....

TXG/MNX

Hi,

I made my first succesfull connection to the internet on Error in Line #3. The 8-bit can recieve incoming tcp/ip connections and make connection with an host on the internet. This all works great. I even started the PINE e-mail program with use of TERM80 on the 8-bit and did send and recieve my first e-mail.

My next step will be to release info about all this soon on a web-site and also make some example programs. But all this is very positive news for the 8-bit Atari.

More news will be published soon...

TXG/MNX

:P

Wow, thats great.

I've looked at the contiki browser but the Atari port seems half as fun as the C64 version. There is even a JPEG viewer for the C64 version.

It would be fantastic if the Atari version got beefed up a bit although I don't know if the atari port is for 64k machines or 48k to be as compatible as possible.

:P  

Wow, thats great.

I've looked at the contiki browser but the Atari port seems half as fun as the C64 version.  There is even a JPEG viewer for the C64 version.

It would be fantastic if the Atari version got beefed up a bit although I don't know if the atari port is for 64k machines or 48k to be as compatible as possible.

Can't tell much more now will have the web-site up with screenshot's hopefully next week...

JPEG viewing on 8-bit was already possible check http://rjespino.tripod.com/8bit/a8jdpeg/a8jdpeg.html

Hopefully the color version will be released soon.....

TXG/MNX

I used to have a couple of really cool graphics viewers/paint programs for the 8-bit that were written, IIRC, by Bob Puff. One was called APACview (Any Point Any color) which allowed pictures in .gif and a few other formats from ST,AMIGA and MAC&PC machines. The other one was called Colorview, which used a special interlacing technique and page flipping between 3 screens (R,G,B) to get 4,096 colors on screen! Why is this relevent here? Well, because there are plenty of conversion programs for the PC that will convert Jpeg to .GIF or many other formats compatible with these viewers, so you can check out these pictures in full color with resolutions as good as what I saw in those screenshots for the 8-bit jpeg viewer. So, you can download jpeg pictures, convert them to .GIF, transfer them to the 8-bit with SIO2PC or something, and then using conversion programs that went with these viewers check the jpegs out in 256 or 4,096 colors! I have been looking for these viewers/paint programs and utilities to do this for quite a while now though (the disks I had with them have long since been lost), so if anyone knows where to get them, please let me know!

:ponder:

By making any software require up to 128k you alienate the majority of Atari systems.

Most have 64K, next are 48K upgraded 400/800s, then 32K and below.

Most Atari games were written for 48K (it used to piss me off) but then the publishers were wanting to maximise sales.

Extra features dependable on the amount of RAM available would be nice, though.

The benchmark for games that take advantage of all available memory, yet still works on a 48k system is Datasoft's 'Alternate Reality' games, minimum of 48k and on disk drive is required, but upto 4 disk drives and AT LEAST 128k could be utilized, IIRC a friend of mine had a 320k upgraded 130XE and it put all that maemory to good use. The most I've had an opportunity to use though is 128k on my XE. Still, it's too bad more games didn't use this format. Mercenary: Escape from Targ and Spiderman were a couple other games that you could play on 48k systems, but if you had 64k-128k systems, the game could take advantage of the extra memory with a higher resolution of graphics in Mercenary, and added animation that wasn't available without 128k in Spiderman (the Questprobe series, IIRC the Incredibel hulk and other Questprobe games did this too). In the late 80's and early 90's a lot more games started using 64k+ and ignoring the aging 48k- machines...

:ponder:  

I thought APAC sounded familiar.

Check this link

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atari/

That's awesome! thanks for the link! BUT, I still need to find the original APACview/paint Colorview/paint programs....would probably need them to view the pictures you colorized with that program anyway...also, I remembered another one called GIFview, which used several different Atari gfx modes to show .gif pics...

Archived