IGNORED

Atari Stick Stand

adamchevy

One of those odd things you covet. Then when you actually get one, you wonder why you wanted it in the first place. I love hardware. But, I have to admit, some of it was just not necessary.

They are kind of strange, but I actually like the sturdiness and ball that was included. I didn't think I would like the ball top, but so far I think it's alright. I added some additional rubber feet on the bottom , and now it's very sturdy.

I had some because they were marked down at Kay Bee (or whatever spelling it was). I still have them in a box somewhere. I didn't use the stupid ball, but the stand was great. I'd set it on a little table and play that way. Much better than holding the joystick in my hand.

• Like 1

I've got a pair of the stands, but not the balls. Got some Grabber Balls, though.

But, I have to admit, some of it was just not necessary.

That's the great thing about Atari 2600 collecting. There's soooo much weird stuff that came out for it, some things more useful than others. :-D

• Like 2

• 8 years later...

Resurrecting this thread as it is the best thread online I've seen about this particular object thanks to the boxed images in the OP. I picked up two of these with their grabber balls this week while treasure hunting and think they are the 23 skidoo. I see a "Made in the USA" molded into the bases, but I can't find any information about who actually manufactured them. So far all I've seen is a comment from 2003 from someone in the AA forums here named Video who stated, "I think it's a CBS product, won't swear to that."

Curious if anyone knows anything more? The box in the OP doesn't appear to show a manufacturer either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Resurrecting this thread as it is the best thread online I've seen about this particular object thanks to the boxed images in the OP. I picked up two of these with their grabber balls this week while treasure hunting and think they are the 23 skidoo. I see a "Made in the USA" molded into the bases, but I can't find any information about who actually manufactured them. So far all I've seen is a comment from 2003 from someone in the AA forums here named Video who stated, "I think it's a CBS product, won't swear to that."

Curious if anyone knows anything more? The box in the OP doesn't appear to show a manufacturer either.

I could take photos of mine if I ever find which box they are in. I'm sure I'll find them the next time I have to move. Seems like my sister and I move every few years, so who knows, maybe 2025 will be your lucky year.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2016 at 5:43 PM, adamchevy said:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160908/0733163e21b2399280e52ad3af37317c.jpg

Just purchased a new one of these. I was wondering if anyone has had great success using one of these?

I found one of these at a thrift store years ago and I had always wanted one since the 80’s ads that showed them. Here’s my take on them.

The stand is awesome for playing Pac-Man games (Frogger & Qbert are ok as well) as these are games that do not use the fire button. (I also use it for pac-man games on 800, ColecoVision, 7800, etc.) I have one joystick that I just leave permanently inside the stand for these games.

As for the ball top itself, I got so accustomed to having it that I literally got a second one and have never removed it from my favorite joystick. I play ALL my games now with the ball top on. It’s just more comfortable for me.

• Like 1