IGNORED

7800 Sound - does it have to be this bad?

svenski

I think the sound issue is overrated. It is true that compared to the 5200

the sound is poor and it is astounding that Atari would downgrade

their new systems sound. BUT many games do a pretty admirable

job Ms Pac-man and Galaga are pretty faithful to the arcade versions.

But then DK is brutal. So you win some and lose some but I don't think

the sound is a system breaker for the 7800.

What is a Pokey?

Wait, that didn't sound like it sounded like. I mean, is Pokey a custom chip for Atari back in the day? Or was it an off the shelf componant?

I'm just wondering why people can't use it or a simular chip?

As for the "horrible" sound of the 7800, I guess that just depends on who listens to it. I'll agree, DK was grating music. But most of the music on the game is quiet nice. Sure, pokechips made better sound, but if the programmers knew what they were doing, or cared, they can still squeeze some nice sounds from the 7800.

Pokéchips make the carts more expensive to produce rather than using the on-board hardware...unless you can find a spot to catch them in the wild ;)

BTW Pokey is Gumby's brown pony. And the brown ghost in PacMan. Possibly the brown ghost of Gumby's pony. Hmm...I'm sensing a pattern here.

Pokéchips make the carts more expensive to produce rather than using the on-board hardware...unless you can find a spot to catch them in the wild ;)

BTW Pokey is Gumby's brown pony.  And the brown ghost in PacMan.  Possibly the brown ghost of Gumby's pony.  Hmm...I'm sensing a pattern here.

:lol:

The major limitation of the TIA sound generator is it only has a 5 bit frequency divisor. This really limits the number (and accuracy) of notes it can produce. But, it is possible to make decent original music and sound effects with the TIA.

POKEY (potentiometer & keyboard processor) was created for the Atari 8 bit computers as a keyboard & paddle interface. It contains an improved version of the TIA sound generator with 4 channels each with an 8 bit divisor (versus 3 channels with 5 bit divisors) and pairs of channels could be linked to create a 16 bit divisor. This provides the required resolution for accurate notes, and thus decent music reproduction. (Though still with fairly limitted 1 bit polynomial waveforms.)

I'm in agreement with lots of the folks here: The 7800 does have a pretty bad sound chip, but not all 7800 games have irritating sound. Some programmers came up with relatively non-offensive music: some that come to mind:

* Jinks: Impressive digitized speech and music for the old chip

* Midnight Mutants

* Scrapyard Dog

* Alien Brigade

* Dark Chambers

* Dark Chambers

Of course, many others have terrible sound, including:

* Tower Toppler

* Xenophobe

* Donkey Kong

* Donkey Kong Jr

* Basketbrawl

they didn't put it on the console just because they didn't want to have to design a new casing, and without it, the board would fit fine into the one that was already designed

Yeah... isn't the 7800 case basically the same as the Sears Arcade II - somebody refresh my memory.

Dumb idea as far as I can see it... I'm sure Atari produced more POKEY chips between BallBlazer and Commando than they produced 7800's... makes no financial sense...

Cheers!

Joey

they didn't put it on the console just because they didn't want to have to design a new casing, and without it, the board would fit fine into the one that was already designed

Yeah... isn't the 7800 case basically the same as the Sears Arcade II - somebody refresh my memory.

Dumb idea as far as I can see it... I'm sure Atari produced more POKEY chips between BallBlazer and Commando than they produced 7800's... makes no financial sense...

Cheers!

Joey

actually, if you compare the two, they are exactly alike (except that the Sears Video Arcade II has a channel switch on the bottom and a few more buttons on the top) if you check out the sears arcade II and the 7800 side by side, you can see where they didn't even bother to make even minor case changes for where there was additional information on the SVAII. (If you look at them, you'll understand what I mean)

The Nintendo ES didn't have great sound either. Back then, 8-bit sound was not a high priority.

IMHO the only 8-bit machine with sound worth hearing is the Commodore=64. The rest I just turn down the volume to barely audible.

So does the 7800 *have* to use the Pokey? Can't it use other sound chips?

The NES had some great music, IMO. Listen to the music in any Mega Man game (MM3 has some great songs), Blaster Master (stages 1, 4, and 7 all have excellent music), Double Dragon (half-assed arcade port, but kick ass music), River City Ransom (some damn good music all the way through) or even older games like Metroid (some eerie music for a game made in 1986).

I still prefer the 7800 though. :P

The Nintendo ES didn't have great sound either.  Back then, 8-bit sound was not a high priority.

IMHO the only 8-bit machine with sound worth hearing is the Commodore=64.  The rest I just turn down the volume to barely audible.

So does the 7800 *have* to use the Pokey?  Can't it use other sound chips?

You should hear some of the music in games coded for the Atari 8-bits in Eastern Europe in the '90s. They'll truly increase your appreciation for the good 'ol POKEY chip.

Archived