IGNORED

Problem with 5200 controller

THX11381973

I just bought an atari 5200 with 5 controllers on ebay. The seller noted only one controller was working. It works but some time is hard to get to go down and all the keys work. I also purchased a refurbished controller from a local retro game shop, but it did not work at all. When i called them to tell them about the non working controller. They told me it could be a problem with the pokey chip in the console. That might be why there controller did not work. My question is, could it be the console, if one controller works and the other one does not. Both are being tried in port 1.

The controller that doesn't work that you bought from the retro game store? Do any of the buttons work such as Start / Pause / Reset?

There is an adjustment knob (potentiometer) inside the 5200 console that controls the calibration and alignment of the direction stick itself. Hence why I asked if the buttons at least work on both controllers?

The controller that doesn't work that you bought from the retro game store? Do any of the buttons work such as Start / Pause / Reset?

There is an adjustment knob (potentiometer) inside the 5200 console that controls the calibration and alignment of the direction stick itself. Hence why I asked if the buttons at least work on both controllers?

I just tried it again and the joystick seems to be working but the red buttons and the key pad don't work.

Edited by THX11381973

at least a controller is fairly simple you can use an ohm meter and a couple paperclips to test all the buttons on the matrix hopefully you can find a cable pinout to show you what goes where

i drew up this one but it uses my notations which could be confusing because pin 4 is really a column 4+7=start 4+6=pause 4+5=reset 13+15=bottom fire 14+15=top fire

db.png

Edited by bohoki

I just tried it again and the joystick seems to be working but the red buttons and the key pad don't work.

First, don't panic, this is the most common maintenance issue with the Atari 5200. Second, I'm not sure what refurbished means in this case. Refurbished doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as rebuilt. Let's consider that you were sold something that someone took apart and cleaned up a little bit. Most if not all original 5200 controllers need rebuilt with a new flex circuit and carbon contact (or preferably GOLD dot) kits. Let's not get into opening up the console and messing with the calibration pot just yet guys, that wouldn't be a first step here, since he's saying that the buttons aren't working.

Joystick rebuild kits are readily available on ebay. You will pay between $30 - 50. I would recommend the higher price kit that includes gold dot connectors for all the buttons, this means they will never wear out again. I'd be glad to help if you have questions about this process.