IGNORED

Memoirs of a Novelty Account - Thoughts on Rogue One

RSS Bot

Wow, I seem to have tried too hard on Wednesday's entry. Oops!

I know it's a little late, but I had the luxury of seeing Rogue One again on Thursday, and I'm glad I did.
When I saw it on opening night, the CGI Tarkin was super jarring. I wasn't expecting him to have such a big role, and I guess my mind was subconsciously nitpicking his face for flaws.
The second time I saw the movie, though, I made it a point to look at Tarkin as just another person, comparing him to the other actors. As a result I was surprised at how impressive the motion-capture was. Now I can see why there are some people who didn't know Peter Cushing has been dead for 20 years and thought he was real.

As for the rest of the movie, I think Cinemassacre's review sums it up quite well. I hate to cite a source, but I was going to say the same thing anyway.
I didn't like it as much as The Force Awakens because I thought it wasn't well-rounded. Episode VII was good all the way through, whereas Rogue One's first two thirds were incredibly boring (even more so the second time through, by the way), and the finale was epic. Yes, I loved Darth Vader, and was squirming in my seat as he slaughtered those rebels in the dark hallway. What can I say?
I'd say it's worth the price of admission just for the raw emotion and pure awesomeness of the ending, much like most reviewers.

So happy new year from your favorite castle boss.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/670/entry-13555-thoughts-on-rogue-one/