IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2017!

I've finished 21 games for the first time this year, according to my Backloggery page, but many of them were kinda lame completions that I'm not particularly proud of. The highlights for the year though would be the Mass Effect trilogy (although I'd previously finished the first two, I decided to start from scratch before beating #3), Genghis Khan and Nobunaga's Ambition on the NES, getting the final achievements I needed in Chronicles of Mystara (XBLA) to get the full completion, and Curious George (Xbox), which isn't so much a great completion for myself so much as a fun run through a game that I could play with my niece. Honestly, I think I'm more proud of that one because of the time shared with her than any other game I beat this year so far.

14. Energy (PC Engine)

If this game is supposedly so terrible, why did I find it compelling enough to keep coming back to this oddball flipscreen action platformer until I beat it? Well, one reason is the English fan-localization patch, which not only translates the game but fixes the painfully slow switching between screens. It still isn't a great game, and the platforming physics are barely above Action 52 caliber, but it's the kind of flawed but quirky title I enjoy. C.

15. Dungeons of Daggorath (CoCo 1/2)

You won't often hear me call a game a masterpiece, but this is one of those times. Arguably one of the best games ever made, Daggorath is certainly the CoCo's killer app, fully deserves its legendary reputation, and is also one of the most terrifying, stress-inducing games you'll ever play. I beat it back in 1993 or 1994 using the game's built-in save function, but this time I aimed for -- and, after numerous attempts, ultimately pulled off -- a 1CC without saving. I don't think I want to know what my own blood pressure and heart rate were during some of my runs. A+.

16. Moai-Kun (Famicom)

I originally beat this appealing puzzle-platformer back in 2006 with savestates, which at the time I thought didn't matter because, hey, it's a puzzle game, right? But actually it's another one of those Japanese puzzle games that insist on only giving you a password every X levels -- in this case, every four. However Moai-Kun adds a nasty twist: when you die in non-checkpoint levels, it'll still give you a unique password, but when used that password just sends you back to the checkpoint level. Sneaky Konami! Fortunately the game itself is fun and nicely put together, enough so that I enjoyed my new, savestate-less run, but I still don't see the point of replaying levels I already know how to beat. B.

Been playing some shmups on my TurboGrafx lately... grabbed what I thought was R-Type off the shelf and walked over to my chair... then realized it was Bonk's Adventure and shrugged and put it in anyway. About an hour and a half later, it was completed. It's not the hardest game in the world, so it's no huge achievement, I guess. Didn't catch the score at the end... oh well...

post-21069-0-58934100-1491785763_thumb.jpg

post-21069-0-02439300-1491785796_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

17. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)

If the controls were just a bit tighter I might consider this slightly puzzle-ish platformer a real early classic for the console. But man, is it frustrating when you have to try to make the same jump ten times because the tolerances are so tight. B.

18. Sküljagger (SNES)

Beat this for the second time, and my comments from 2012 still apply, giving this a nostalgia-tinged B.

19. Lord of the Rings: Journey to Rivendell (Atari 2600)

And speaking of nostalgia, I still remember coveting this in the old Parker Bros. catalog -- the screenshots led me to imagine an expansive, mysterious game -- and then being thrilled to discover that the prototype had been dumped, decades later. As Tempest wisely notes on Atariprotos, the game itself can't possibly live up to that kind of expectation, nor is it anything like what I imagined.

Still, it's an interesting effort, and I found it worth replaying until I was able to win on both difficulty levels; pity about poor Sam, but his sacrifice wasn't in vain. C.

I spent the last three months grinding through Mega Man Battle Network 3 (WiiU). I didn't 100% it, but I completed the main story, the additional extra hard boss run in the secret area and I collected all 200 regular battlechips. There's still a lot to do, but after sinking over 100 hours into it I consider it done now. I also decided to play iterations 4-6 only until the credits roll ;)

Capcom games beaten in 2017: Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter, Resident Evil Zero, Clock Tower 3 & Mega Man Battle Network 3

6. Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Genesis)

It dawned on me talking with my sister the other day- I've had this game since I was 9, and I love it... but I'd never beaten it! That has been fixed now!

Hmm... only averaging a game a month. But, that's still better than last year, I think I beat 1, maybe 2 games total? Plus I'm playing a bit more of stuff you can't really 'beat'- like I got Namco Museum vol 1 for PS1 at a thrift store the other day. I discovered Bosconian for the first time- that game is AWESOME! But there's no final stage with credits to roll after, so I can't 'beat' it. I guess what I'm saying is, good for me for buying less & playing more, even if my overall total is low. :-D

I haven't made any updates to my list on here since January and kept meaning to do individual write ups on all the games I've beaten thus far this year, but since that would take a good half a page or so at this point I think I'll just post the list of games that I've beaten since my last update in January then get back to doing game write ups for everything I beat from here on out. :)

18. Alien Hominid (GameCube)

19. Star Fox Adventures (GameCube)

20. Doom (Game Boy Advance)

21. Syphon Filter (PlayStation)

22. Metroid Prime (GameCube)

23. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

24. Kung-Fu Master (Atari 2600)

25. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (GameCube)

26. Star Fox Assault (GameCube)

27. Mortal Kombat (Game Boy)

28. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)

29. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)

30. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)

31. Choplifter! (Atari 7800)

32. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (Game Boy Advance)

33. Double Dragon (Atari 7800)

34. Ninja Golf (Atari 7800)

35. Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (Game Boy Advance)

• 2 weeks later...

20. Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool (SNES)

Past comments still apply, though maybe a D- is a tad harsh -- I might give it a D now.

21. Captain Novolin (SNES)

Silly platformer designed to teach kids about the 'betus. Could be worse, I guess, but it's one of those "easy but annoying" games, if you catch my drift. D-.

22. Kouryuu Densetsu Villgust: Kieta Shoujo (Super Famicom)

Played through the fan translation of this early Super Famicom RPG, whose name translates as "Armored Dragon Legend Villgust: Missing Girl", or so I'm told. It turned out to be one of the most cookie-cutter JRPGs I've ever played, with one-dimensional combat, little story, unmemorable music, phoned-in graphics, and a completely linear structure. Only a couple curveballs with multiple parties (and a whale), and an unusual way of handling level scaling, kept it from being generic beyond all recognition.

At least it moves along at a decent clip, and the mindlessness of it made for a decent companion while I was sick with a cold and watching TV -- but when the best thing you can say about a game is that it keeps you from buying weapons and armor you can't use (or are weaker than your current equipment), that says a lot. D-.

36. Tomb Raider: Legend (GameCube)

Up until I played through Tomb Raider: The Prophecy on the Game Boy Advance a couple weeks ago I hadn't touched a Tomb Raider game in years, but that one was great fun so I decided to give another game in the series a try. Simply put, Tomb Raider: Legend is awesome! It's got huge sprawling levels with gorgeous levels of graphical detail, a really nice balance between puzzle solving and combat, and some motorcycle driving sequences sprinkled in here and there to mix things up. The story was totally engrossing and wonderfully creative, and the only complaint I could really make about the game is that the story left off on a huge cliffhanger that make me have to run off to eBay and buy the next game in the series (Tomb Raider: Underworld, which I'm currently playing on the Wii) as soon as I finished Legend. This game is definitely a semi-modern classic and I'd highly recommend it to any fan of the action/adventure genre. :)

Filling a gap I had in the NES department, I just gained all 3 trophies for Duck Tales 2 (PS4), beating it twice in the process :)

http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/CybergothX/disney-afternoon-collection-ps4

Capcom games beaten in 2017: Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter, Resident Evil Zero, Clock Tower 3, Mega Man Battle Network 3 & Duck Tales 2

I just gained all 3 trophies for Rescue Rangers 2 (PS4), beating it twice in the process :)

That also means I have 100% trophies for the Disney Afternoon Collection now:

http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/CybergothX/disney-afternoon-collection-ps4

Capcom games beaten in 2017: Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter, Resident Evil Zero, Clock Tower 3, Mega Man Battle Network 3, Duck Tales 2 & Rescue Rangers 2

• 3 weeks later...

23. Night Trap (Sega 32X CD)

Almost a lot of fun, but this infamous FMV title misses the boat by not including some kind of mid-game save point. That forces you to replay the opening sections of the game repeatedly just to figure out what's going on in the later parts, and that gets old fast -- especially since getting the best ending requires you to pull off a camera switch and trigger a trap with essentially zero margin for error, right at the end of the game...

...so if you mess that one thing up you've just wasted 30+ minutes of your life. Sigh. Otherwise it's a pleasantly corny good time, though. C+.

24. Baby Felix Tennis (PlayStation)

Well, at least this PAL-exclusive budget title has decent presentation and a hint of a sense of humor. But the gameplay is sluggish as hell, you can win every return point by parking on the service line and hitting through your hapless foe, and trying to pass off a stage as "low gravity, woo, space!" by turning an already slow game down to half-speed is the cheesiest bit of chutzpah I've seen in a while. D-.

25. International Tennis Tour (SNES)

After 40+ hours with this game (plus another 9-10 with the Genesis version), what can I tell you? Let's see:

Questionable, but playable, court angle. Fairly realistic ball mechanics, though two of the game's six shot types are basically useless and serving does little beyond starting the point. Wildly overlong career mode that expects you to play 2-3 hours in one sitting before getting a password -- twice as long if you play the mandatory (!) doubles event at the Grand Slams. Terrible manual that gets the game's victory condition wrong (you just need to become world #1, nothing else matters) and fails to document several important UI features.

Average AI that makes errors (good) but serves too many lets, hits too many dropshots into the net, and mostly doesn't know how to hit overheads, though I suppose that's better than constantly smashing everything. And those lets, plus the unskippable speech samples, slow things down way too much.

I guess that covers it. Also, the Genesis version is clearly better, though it runs too fast and wasn't optimized for NTSC. C.

I just went platinum with Devil May Cry 2 (PS3), beating it five times in the process :)

http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/CybergothX/devil-may-cry-2-hd-ps3

Capcom games beaten in 2017: Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter, Resident Evil Zero, Clock Tower 3, Mega Man Battle Network 3, Duck Tales 2, Rescue Rangers 2 & Devil May Cry 2

This weekend I played through Resident Evil - Dead Aim (PS2), which is definitely by far the best of the 4 "Gun Survivor" games, even when played without a lightgun :)

Capcom games beaten in 2017: Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter, Resident Evil Zero, Clock Tower 3, Mega Man Battle Network 3, Duck Tales 2, Rescue Rangers 2, Devil May Cry 2 & Resident Evil - Dead Aim

37. Ghost Squad (Nintendo Wii)

If there's one thing the Wii has always excelled it I think it's got to be on-rails light gun shooter games. The Wii ushered it what would become a one generation long light gun gaming renaissance, and for fans of tactical military style shooters Ghost Squad stands at securely at the top of the heap as the best on-rails military simulation game on the Wii. Plus it's got that classic "so awful it's entertaining" Sega arcade game voice acting, so I don't think you can go wrong with this game on any level. It's a must play for fans of the genre!

38. Tomb Raider: Underworld (Nintendo Wii)

As much as I loved Tomb Raider: Legend on the GameCube, I have to admit that it's story continuing sequel Tomb Raider: Underworld on the Wii is a bit of a hit and miss affair. On one hand the story is phenomenal and the level design is great, with a diverse array of beautifully rendered environments to explore. On the other hand, the collision detection just plain sucks and will have you constantly being flung out into space when Lara is supposed to grab onto a ledge, the saving system is completely unintuitive and confusing (I had to replay entire hour and a half long levels twice because the game didn't save after quitting), and the game is so buggy that I encountered three game crashes at what was usually the least opportune times (I.E. When I hadn't saved my game in an hour) over the course of my play through. I stuck with it and kept playing to see how the story turned out, and I wasn't disappointed with the results, but unless you've already played through Tomb Raider: Legend and just have to know how the story ends I'd recommend skipping over this one due to all the bugs and collision detection issues.

39. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo Wii)

Getting back to the good games, there's not much I can say about this one other than "If you like Mario Kart games then you're going to love Mario Kart Wii". It's chalked full of everything that makes the Mario Kart series so thoroughly enjoyable, with some new additions as well such as bikes and the option to play with the Wii Wheel for motion controlled steering. Ultimately I found myself preferring to play with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck for the most precise control, but the Wii Wheel was still fun to play with and I did get pretty good with it after some practice. The only downside of Mario Kart Wii today is that the online servers to play long distance multiplayer are no longer active, but fortunately there are still enough characters, karts, and bikes to unlock to keep you busy for a good long while if you pick up a copy of this wonderful game.

40. Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Nintendo Wii)

I wasn't expecting much going into this one, after what a mixed bag Tomb Raider: Underworld turned out to be and knowing that this game came out two years prior to Underworld, but by golly they really nailed it with Anniversary! This remake of the original 1996 Tomb Raider had none of the collision detection issues of Underworld, the game saving system was simple and logical, and I only encountered one game crash over the course of my two play throughs of Tomb Raider: Anniversary. And yes, I said "two play throughs". After beating the game the first time I was presented with some pretty enticing unlockable bonus material, such as the option to listen to directory commentary during my next game, and a whole slew of cheat codes and other interesting extras as rewards for all the secrets I found on my first play through. The second time around was just as enjoyable as the first and I'd highly recommend this game to any fan of the Tomb Raider series, especially if you have fond memories of the original.

41. Metroid II: Return of Samus (Game Boy)

After Nintendo announced their upcoming 3DS remake of Metroid II at E3 this year I just had to go back and play through the Game Boy original again, and I have to say that it was one of my favorite gaming experiences of the year thus far. It's an absolute classic and probably my second favorite game in the Metroid series, with my #1 favorite being the first Metroid Prime. Buy it, play it, love it! :D

42. 1942 (Game Boy Color)

The shortest game of any that I've played through in recent history, 1942 is about as classic as a vertical scrolling shoot 'em up gets. It's right up there with River Raid in terms of genre establishing titles and the Game Boy Color port is one of my favorites. It's a little sparse in terms of variety when compared to modern shmups and the music isn't any less grating than the arcade or NES versions, but there is still definitely something to be said for having a solid port of 1942 in your pocket. The Game Boy Color version does have a few nice additions though, such as 3 different difficulty levels to choose from, the option to shut off the god awful music, and a password save system that gives you a short and simple password after every 4 levels. You also have the option to print off your passwords and your final scoring details with the Game Boy Printer if you have one, and any game that makes good use of the Game Boy Printer gets a thumbs up in my book!

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

26. Centre Court Tennis (Nintendo 64)

'Tis a pity this game didn't make it to North America, as it's far better than All-Star Tennis '99, and offers a decent alternative to Mario Tennis. It plays well, has a clean presentation, and offers some funky special stages if you're into unlocking things. However, it's too easy, and the lack of a clearly defined goal for the career mode -- or a reward for accomplishing same -- takes away some of the fun. B-.

27. Andre Agassi Tennis (SNES)

I've beaten this before, so my past comments still apply. It should probably be called "Andre Agassi Touchtennis", since that's about what it plays like. D+.

28. Power Serve 3D Tennis (PlayStation)

As far as I can tell, the only gameplay mode in this early PlayStation title is a solitary match against a CPU opponent. You can choose the surface, the number of sets, your opponent (or opponents if you're playing doubles), and that's about it: no difficulty, no career mode, no tournaments. So winning that one match seems like the standard to apply for "beating" the game...

...not that that's an easy task, since this is one of the most broken, misguided tennis games I've ever played. The window for striking the ball is so narrow and finicky that trying to anticipate your shots in any way will leave you flailing at empty air, so all the timing you've learned from other games has to be thrown out.

The camera, like many early 3D tennis games, is as much friend as foe, offering no reasonable angle on the action unless you access one of several hidden options that aren't documented in the manual. And the game's AI is the sort that almost never misses a ball, but will always have a meltdown if you return their serve with a lob (though for some reason you have to wait for the lob to stop bouncing before the point ends).

If it weren't for that lob exploit I don't know when I would have taken this out, as my first efforts with this game were a string of 6-0 losses. But once I discovered it, and after a couple more hours of practice, I was able to beat Mike Lee (i.e. Michael Chang) with, uh, Andy Legacy (Andre Agassi) in a one-set match on clay, 6-3. That was after losing a match 7-5 where I'd held match points, so it felt good to finish off this awful disaster of a game. F.

BTW with my last four victories I've now beaten every tennis game for the N64, every US-released tennis game for the SNES, and all but one of the tennis games released in North America for PlayStation.

No photo as i haven't a DigiCam and i got my VCR (yes, a VHS VCR, not a DVR.) a month later, but i finally beat PAC-MAN II on the Sega Mega-drive only for my cat to turn off my surge protector on 5/19.

29. Bomberman 64 (JPN) (Nintendo 64)

Also known informally as the "Arcade Edition", this Japanese-exclusive game has nothing in common with the North American release under the same name (itself known as "Baku Bomberman" in Japan). Instead, this very late Nintendo 64 release is essentially a compilation, and includes modes with traditional Bomberman gameplay, the Tetris/Puyo Puyo clone Panic Bomber, the familiar Same Game puzzler, and a weird RPG-like mode called Bomberman Park where you run around an amusement park playing minigames and collecting medals.

It sounds silly, and looks like a SNES game (with slowdown!), but it's good, low-key fun that doesn't take a big time commitment. I ended up completing all four modes, getting high scores where applicable, solving all three puzzles in Same Game, completing all routes in the main Bomberman game to unlock and defeat the final boss, and earning all 30 medals and a meeting with the director in Bomberman Park. Kudos to Zoinkity for a nice job with the translation patch; the game could mostly be played without it, but it's more fun this way. B+.

30. Tennis Arena (PlayStation)

Confusingly, this game is clearly a member of the All-Star Tennis series -- cf. the game on Nintendo 64, All-Star Tennis '99, which has essentially identical gameplay. But not only does it have a different name, there's even an unrelated game on PlayStation called All-Star Tennis, which turns out to be a PAL version of the Simple 1500 series game released as "Tennis" in the US. Phew.

Anyway, the more I played Tennis Arena, the more it irritated me. It's almost impossible to hit the ball cleanly and with authority, as the game loves to send your shots long or wide when you try -- so the path to victory is tediously hitting a bunch of junkball slices to your opponent until he or she makes a mistake. Combine that with slow gameplay, unskippable instant replays of "signature shots", and a World Tour mode that seems little more than a frame for a long-expired contest, and you've got a dud -- though at least it's not Power Serve 3D Tennis. D.

31. Jeopardy! (Nintendo 64)

Beaten on the hardest settings. Very decent conversion of the game show, though (as is usually the case) it's too easy, and it's annoying not to get credit for ROBERT KENNEDY (it wanted his middle initial) or CURRY (it wanted "powder" even though that word was already in the clue). Of course it's kind of impossible to make a coherent single-player adaptation of a game show, but this is about as good as it's likely to get. B.

• Like 1

I wish i had known about this page earlier! I beat a bunch of games lol. These are a few weeks old but since i didnt know about the page i will post them. Here is Battletoads Double Dragon on SNES on game A (the game where you can hit each other lol) and also The Krion Conquest with no deaths. I will probably post more on here without videos now that I know about it. I hope everyone is doing good and thanks for showing me the page Anthony!

• Like 1