IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

Sounds like BS, and making the product more complex then it should be especially with all this silly stacking of modules with Co Processors or some other hardware support in them.

I'm still hearing a lot of conflicting information regarding when it's coming out, how far along it is, who's paying for it, etc. If they were honest about this thing being ready in APRIL, there should be no shortage of hard data about it now.

I'm still hearing a lot of conflicting information regarding when it's coming out, how far along it is, who's paying for it, etc. If they were honest about this thing being ready in APRIL, there should be no shortage of hard data about it now.

well the good news is, the rubbermaid storage bins you'll eventually toss this thing into are available for purchase now.

• Like 1

Some bold claims, here:

For our purposes, copyrights generally pertain to the BIOS of a supported disc system, which prohibits us from making use of it without license. So, it’s a challenge in that you need to take a legal route to re-writing a widely compatible BIOS, which is what our team has done for the systems we have announced.

While it takes a little time and elbow grease to get done, the advantage of this approach is not only that we can offer the ability to play optical disc based systems for the first time in a 3rd party console that doesn’t require you to go hunting around on the internet for BIOS files, but it has afforded us the ability to materially improve the original BIOS that improve the experience of using the consoles in question. For example, we’ve cut Neo Geo CD loading times by 80% in comparison to the original system in our custom Neo Geo CD BIOS.

• Like 2

Doubt the bios would slow down any system unless its poorly programmed and designed and I seriously doubt anyone has made a custom bios for PSX or NeoCD that supported more then 70% of the games

As for reducing BIOS Processing time, they are mostly due to the speed of CDROM unit being used in those old consoles and access times being quite slow so it's easily reducible if you are using a modern CD unit and rewrite the BIOS 'disc read/play/seek' functions to directly interact with the disc instead of interfacing with the several layers of original hardware (generally the BIOS running on console CPU communicates with a CD command processor, which itself controls a CD DSP, a RF AMP , a Servo Signal processor, etc). Emulators generally only emulate the communication between BIOS software (running on main CPU) and the CD command processor and the rest is HLEed. By rewriting the BIOS calls, you could theoretically remove an additional level of emulation processing (the communication with CD command process and interpretation of CD commands).

That said, for Sega CD, no such 'custom BIOS' or 'HLE implementation' exists as of today (at least publicly) and looking at the complexity of Sega CD BIOS (the official documentation with the API can be found here: http://antime.kapsi.fi/sega/md.html),I find it hard to believe they had the time to rewrite a custom new one that does not include ANY of the original (copyrighted) code, just like I cannot believe they are rewriting new emulators from scratch rather than reusing open-source ones like they did with Retron5/RetroFreak.

As confirmed by the above article, Hybrid Emulation is just a buzzword to tell that only console 'internals' are emulated and anything that could physically be connected to the console (controllers, game cartridge or cd) is directly interfaced instead of being emulated like with traditional emulators. But the internal of the console (which more or less represent 90% of actual emulators code) still need to be emulated in the traditional way. I don't think each module needs to have its own CPU though, it could just be some FPGA that makes the interface between the input hardware (controllers, game cartridge) and the CPU running the emulator on the main unit.

Edited by philyso

Presuming on the assumption that everything said is reliable (devils advocate and all that...) I'm very skeptical of a design where the element modules need their own processors, when the entire point was to have the muscle in the base unit. If it's being designed that way from the start, it shows very questionable design and engineering decisions.... adding needlessly to the complexity, cost, etc. At this point, you're just asking for stuff to go wrong, if it ever exists at all.

This thing is a joke that's gone on way too long.

• Like 1

It's not a joke. It's a school project that includes real-life social media commentary and responses from places like atariage.

My response:

"Your project sucks and your parents are wasting their tuition money. Hope you like offering to Super-Size things."

• Like 2

Wouldn't say that 'Hybrid Emulation' is a buzzword, since it basically the process of using some Software language to define system hardware at lower levels such as SystemC or some other HDL. I do agree HDL on a cheap System on a Chip without FPGA or some other Hardware logic solution would probably not support any of these systems in real time, especially NeoGeo CD since it does a lot of parallel processing. Cheap System on a Chip also usually don't have many registers and have small cache size's which would also make it more difficult to utilize the faster speeds of the CPU compared to the emulated systems since it would have to store the data while emulating other system tasks at the same.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it hilarious they're hiding behind BIOSes and licensing. It's an emulation box. It should work like all the other emulation boxes - user-provided BIOS. Also it should work like all the other emulation boxes and just allow ROMs. If an online marketplace to buy ROMs was such a great idea (which they apparently think it is) then tell me why Nintendo has basically abandoned it entirely. It's not on the Switch and the Wii U VC was rather barren. Even the original Wii's VC was a ghost of its former self towards the end.

Most likely:

• They're in over their heads either on hardware or software
  • They have no solid business model beyond selling the hardware
  • The hardware is going to be artificially gimped, if it ever ships at all
  • The price is going to be atrocious even if it ships. There's no market for the hardware.

<p>

I find it hilarious they're hiding behind BIOSes and licensing. It's an emulation box. It should work like all the other emulation boxes - user-provided BIOS. Also it should work like all the other emulation boxes and just allow ROMs. If an online marketplace to buy ROMs was such a great idea (which they apparently think it is) then tell me why Nintendo has basically abandoned it entirely. It's not on the Switch and the Wii U VC was rather barren. Even the original Wii's VC was a ghost of its former self towards the end.

Most likely:

• They're in over their heads either on hardware or software
  • They have no solid business model beyond selling the hardware
  • The hardware is going to be artificially gimped, if it ever ships at all
  • The price is going to be atrocious even if it ships. There's no market for the hardware.
E) All of the above, with a side of "We didn't listen to anyone who told us this was all a train wreck waiting to happen."

The website is online now. They had a host issue.

I'm disappointed.

Though, a lot of people have drunk the cool aide on their forum. Was just reading two recent threads on the forum where the OPs raised legitimate concerns and other members immediately lept to the defence of Polymega.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk