IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

I guess the "big news" was just them showing off the UI some more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHhRP6KOLxE&feature=youtu.be&a

Note that we still don't know about important things like how they are gwtting around the BIOS issue, how much internal storage the machine will have, etc.

This is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 3

I guess the "big news" was just them showing off the UI some more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHhRP6KOLxE&feature=youtu.be&a

YAEB with a slick interface.

Show us the Super Game Boy running like you promised. That's something no YAEB can do.

YAEB = Yet Another Emulation Box. And I suppose they'll use stolen code like the Retron/RFreak as well. Or crappy code like the Rbit Generations... :roll:

• Like 2

If it weren't for this fine thread complaining that they aren't doing anything, I never would have heard of this stupid vaporware thing.

Oh, just wait. This time next year, we'll have 600 more pages, two failed crowdfunding campaigns, and youtubers crying about "haters".

• Like 5

Oh, just wait. This time next year, we'll have 600 more pages, two failed crowdfunding campaigns, and youtubers crying about "haters".

That's the natural counterpart to haters crying about youtubers, I reckon.

Right now, the only crowdfunding effort I want to help is one that takes Coleco out of the hands of dickheads.

• Like 1

And now... they announce Neo Geo CD support:

<YAWN>

Wow, a system so obscure and unloved, that there must be literally only a couple of dozen collectors in the world with actual physical Neo Geo CD games.

This announcement only seems to make the slightest sense if, as I've said before, they expect people to buy ROM and CD downloads from their online store.

The current owners of SNK seem to be very happy to license out their library, and they're actually a good pick for POLYMEGA for just that reason.

Certainly more so than Nintendo, who would be incredibly unlikely to allow the POLYMEGA folks to re-sell any of Nintendo's games.

Anyway, more "marketing", and still no real technical details.

<BACK-TO-SLEEP>

• Like 1

<YAWN>

Wow, a system so obscure and unloved, that there must be literally only a couple of dozen collectors in the world with actual physical Neo Geo CD games.

So, instead of a single-speed CD drive, they'll have a 1.6x speed CD drive? I can't see how that brings much to the party. The whole point of Neo Geo CD was to distribute cheaper versions of Neo Geo games, with the tradeoff that the loading times suck.

Fetishizing CD-ROM seems even dumber than the cartridge worship that sometimes happens around Retroland. What the f is wrong with people?

Wow that's a uninformed comment about the Neo Geo CD. There's actually a small but larger than that decent collector base around them and some will pay dearly for the stuff. It's not obscure, it's just not loved by many as the load times were atrocious, but it did allow the average consumer to play a lot of the Neo Geo games that had been on $200+ cartridges for the usual retail price of a normal home video game.

This weird system has cut not just the load time to start, but load time to actual game play on a NGCD game down to a 1/2 minute from like 2-4 minutes instead which was then and now ridiculous.

I think still on the bigger picture unless these chickens start actually quoting prices are playing a very expensive and dangerous game. We should be demanding a price before giving them attention at this point. Great the standard dock runs CDs, good, so what's that going to cost? $100? $200? Great...now I want to run some Nintendo, Sega, NEC, or some other cartridge based stuff, how much will those modules cost each? Another $50, $100? Same price on all, or varies?

Looking at a system that does it all for $300 or $600? Time to stop dodging the big questions and answer.

• Like 2

Well then the Retrofreak is king. You don't need the controller or cart modules, you can stick with the core unit which is exceptionally small. Just toss whatever you like on a little memory card the size like you said there, and you're done. Total libraries for the NES/FC, SNES/SFC, anything Gameboy named, TG/PCE(CD as ISO?), Genesis, etc. Runs quite a few more options than the R5, but doesn't block the running of downloaded ROMs. Small enough you could shove the thing in a pocket on its own, the other pocket for the cables and one controller. ;)

So, instead of a single-speed CD drive, they'll have a 1.6x speed CD drive? I can't see how that brings much to the party. The whole point of Neo Geo CD was to distribute cheaper versions of Neo Geo games, with the tradeoff that the loading times suck.

Fetishizing CD-ROM seems even dumber than the cartridge worship that sometimes happens around Retroland. What the f is wrong with people?

Pretty sure 48x drives are the norm now, though limiting to 16x speed is better for longevity of the media due to Gforce on the disc. Either way, loading times will be minimal.

Pretty sure 48x drives are the norm now, though limiting to 16x speed is better for longevity of the media due to Gforce on the disc. Either way, loading times will be minimal.

30 second loading time on old fighting games? No thanks, I prefer zero losing times, like from a cartridge or flash media. I haven't spun an optical disc in years, and I like it this way.

It seems like you're defending this system. Why? Surely it's not like you're gonna no to buy it. You've said that you post to AtariAge from the built in web browsers on Nintendo consoles.

And I remember some people whining about the 4sec load pause on Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES as it decompressed the assets, but only because it was a cart since the even more terrible PS1 version did it too on disc. Neo Geo CD took the horrid wait times into the stratosphere in comparison.

It's looking more and more like contradictory statements and that this box actually is an android device, but however they did the guts of this one or whatever their UI is setup as, the off the rack android emulators mostly won't jive with it so they're making their own. Really wish this could get sorted out, but that seems to be what people at the neo geo forum are kind of picking up on this thing and rightly so bashing it in that case. It's potentially a very overpriced retron 5 re-run with disc capabilities.

Given it should cost a couple hundred for the base unit, and every system gets their own addon module for around $60 you're looking at a price model rivaling the brand new Sony/MS 1/2 gen upgrade boxes to come which is garbage. Just kiss off the CD stuff and do it on your computer with ISOs or real discs anyway and get a retrofreak for $200. Use real media, or pocket the teeny part that is the brains and just use that thing as a flashkit+android box combo and be done with it.

• Like 1

30 second loading time on old fighting games? No thanks, I prefer zero losing times, like from a cartridge or flash media. I haven't spun an optical disc in years, and I like it this way.

It seems like you're defending this system. Why? Surely it's not like you're gonna no to buy it. You've said that you post to AtariAge from the built in web browsers on Nintendo consoles.

I'm not defending it, and I still think it's vaporware. But humor me for a minute. Maybe, if this thing gets out the door, and works, then people with large collections of CDs will find usage out of it, even if the cart blocks are a money pit.

As for me, I am a cartridge gamer with homebrew centric collecting habits.

Oh, and FYI, I am posting from a Win7 desktop right now, but most of my night posting is done on the gamepad... ;-)

• Like 1

I see Gamster81 is still shilling for them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HKkCuMB8-w

Kind of question his knowledge if he says that the system he saw looked solid.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt for being on the wrong side of the Chameleon fiasco. But if he puts his reputation behind the Polymega and it tanks, he really needs to lose credibility for that.

• Like 2