IGNORED

Atari 7800 Controller?

RetroGrafx

Ideally I mean something like a NES advantage controller...some form of adjustable turbo fire added to the buttons. Twisty knob to adjust, etc.

In this case I was thinking a second set of connectors on the board for the buttons, so you'd hook up four buttons...two stock, the other two with autofire when held down, somehow accomplished on the board.

I don't know how to do it...if I did I would have already! ;-)

You just need an item for the 2600 that shows up on Ebay from time to time: The Lazer Quick Fire. It has an adjuster so you can speed up or slow down the rapid-firing.

• Like 2

You just need an item for the 2600 that shows up on Ebay from time to time: The Lazer Quick Fire. It has an adjuster so you can speed up or slow down the rapid-firing.

If you mean this thing:

post-6566-1237582862.jpg

I bought several on ebay a while back when they were like 3 bucks. They perform weirdly with my 7800 controllers though (stock and home made). With the turbo on, when I hold the button, it fires only 1 shot, pauses for a second, THEN goes to firing at whatever speed I have the knob set to. Since this happens each time I take my finger off the button and push it again, it's largely useless. :(

Late to the party (as usual), but another unsolicited endorsement for the Seagull 78. Fantastic little device and if I had someone else in the family who loved retrogames like I do, I'd have a pair of them. As it is, I'm seriously thinking of asking for a Super Twin controller for my birthday. Love Ed's products.

I think the Atari 7800 proline Joystick gets TOO MUCH hate from a number of folks on Atariage. Yes, I know its not perfect, but COME ON! Be thankful that it does not have the severely fragile nature of the Atari 5200 stock controller fire and number keypad buttons. Also, it surely deserves credit for having a joystick that doesn't use rubber for its base, though it could have been a little less long.

In fairness to the Atari 5200 CX52, it's more comfortable in your hand than the CX78 [edited: CX24] ProLine...

Edited by Lynxpro

If you mean this thing:

post-6566-1237582862.jpg

I bought several on ebay a while back when they were like 3 bucks. They perform weirdly with my 7800 controllers though (stock and home made). With the turbo on, when I hold the button, it fires only 1 shot, pauses for a second, THEN goes to firing at whatever speed I have the knob set to. Since this happens each time I take my finger off the button and push it again, it's largely useless. :(

Never seen that before. I think most people are referring to the PointMaster Fire Control device for the 2600:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228402-pointmaster-fire-control-for-2600/

Telegames and Best Electronics both had their own versions of the CX78 ProLine with a more phallic ball top and rapid fire switches installed.

In fairness to the Atari 5200 CX52, it's more comfortable in your hand than the CX78 ProLine...

The cx78 is the euro controller . The cx24 is actually what you are talking about but I believe that the prolines super tall stick and light weight is why they move around and cramp your hand .

The cx78 is the euro controller . The cx24 is actually what you are talking about but I believe that the prolines super tall stick and light weight is why they move around and cramp your hand .

Thanks for the correction. I actually like the EuroPads. They pretty much are the first controllers that have a thumbstick that contours to your thumb like Sony and Microsoft later popularized. The SMS thumbstick certainly wasn't contoured/cupped like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished modding a few NES and SMS controllers to work with the 7800. Both are a step up from the Proline. I haven't had my hands on one of the Euro controllers, so I can't comment on those. The SMS controllers have a "sloppy" directional pad compared to the NES, which is rather precise feeling. I also added thumb sticks to my NES controllers which I find to be easier on my thumb with extended play. I'm rather surprised that someone hasn't designed and built some 7800 gamepads. It seems to me that there's a demand there. I was just doing the modded controllers for myself, but if people are interested and don't want to attempt the mods on their own, I'm willing to help.

I'm rather surprised that someone hasn't designed and built some 7800 gamepads. It seems to me that there's a demand there.

Because Genesis pads are better still, and dirt cheap. There are plans online for adapter cables to use two buttons and Ed Kelly of Edladdin Controllers sells a professionally-made adapter cable for a reasonable price for those who don't want to wire one up themselves.

• Like 1

Because Genesis pads are better still, and dirt cheap. There are plans online for adapter cables to use two buttons and Ed Kelly of Edladdin Controllers sells a professionally-made adapter cable for a reasonable price for those who don't want to wire one up themselves.

Indeed.

There have been some offerings throughout the years; custom hacked NES (Max) gamepad controllers, ditto respecting SMS gamepads.

However, having the Seagull 78 adapter really simplifies things and opens up a world of Genesis compatible gamepads working perfectly fine under the 7800 (Button B maps to Left/Button 1 & Button C maps to Right/Button 2). There is an abundance of them and they can be acquired relatively inexpensively.

Just a few examples:

$5.34 with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-Controller-BRAND-NEW-NIB-6-Button-Control-Pad-/261787142520?hash=item3cf3bac978:g:3UUAAOSwe-FU6M9V

$6.50 with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CONTROLLER-FOR-SEGA-GENESIS-MADE-BY-RETRO-BIT-GAMEPAD-JOYTICK-/111860036745?hash=item1a0b60b489:g:vYsAAOxySOlR8Aph

$5.99 for two with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-6-Button-Game-Controller-for-SEGA-Genesis-Black-/352000397360?hash=item51f4dbd030:g:8EQAAOSw4A5YwLgE

I knew a lot of people liked the Genesis controllers. I just figured that there might be interested in a professionally made two button controller, specifically designed for the 7800. I'm pretty happy with my modded NES controllers, but I haven't used a Genesis controller since back in the early 90s. I'll have to pick one up and try it out. I like the idea of the adapters, but on my limited income, it's cheaper for me to rewire the controllers myself. The seagull 78 is extremely tempting, since it would allow me to use any Genesis controller without modding it first. That makes it worth the price just for testing purposes. Being able to decide if I like the feel of a controller before I went to the trouble of modding it would be nice.

Would an SMS controller really help? I think it would be a downgrade. I'm happy with my euro controllers for 7800.

Modding a pad would not be a simple wire-for-wire, but close. That second button uses a special combination of pins.

Modding is not necessary for playing 7800 games with a Sega Master System pad or "Control Stick." You need an Edladdin Seagull 78 and a Master System Rapid Fire adapter. I talk about this at the 20 min 19 seconds point in my Wired-Up Retro presentation here: