IGNORED

Thimbleweed Park is out!

I'm posting this here because I do not know where it goes... it's a modern game, but it's on the old Point-n'-Click Adventure type, made to feel like it was done back in 1987 by LucasArts. So... Classic Computing?

Anyway, after waiting for about two years, Ron Gilbert's and Gary Winnick's Kickstarter-backed project Thimbleweed Park is finally complete and the game went out yesterday without a hitch! I got my copy and spent the entire day playing the game with my wife (I took off from work for an old-fashioned "game day.")

Has anybody else played it? I am a fan of old Point-n'-Click adventures from the 1980s, not very hardcore, by I enjoyed them back in the day. I find this new game by Ron Gilbert game to be surprisingly modern yet "classic-feeling." All the good stuff are there (mouse-driven verbs, funny and interesting story, wacky puzzles, lots of fun, etc.), without any of the bad stuff (insta-death or learn-by-death, dead-ends, nasty bugs, crappy illogical puzzles, frustrating game-play mechanics, etc.).

The graphics are gorgeously rendered in what Mark Ferrari calls "8-bit-ish Pixel Art"; that is, pixelated and palette-driven, without having to count and limit colours. It's all so great looking.

Has anybody else played the game yet?

-dZ.

I listened to a good chunk of the Thimbleweed Park development podcast, and am very much looking forward to playing it, but it will probably be later in the year; I usually play adventure games around holidays, with the family joining in as a sort of team sport. We've played The Cave, Broken Age, and a few classics this way, and it's my favorite way to experience adventures.

Early reviews of Thimbleweed Park seem quite favorable. As previously mentioned in the past, Mark Ferrari is an amazing artist. With Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick at the helm, I have little doubt the game is a treat.

• Like 1

I'm played already about 13 hours with my wife, and we both love it so far! It is indeed a great game. The story is unfolding nicely... I just "solved" the murder mystery, and that's not even half the game story now!!! :o

Very intricate and elaborate. I really wish they continue making more like this one.

-dZ.