IGNORED

Latest 7800 project

AtariAwesomeness!

Sorry don't have a crt. Here is ikari warriors and commando on my plasma

Adjusting the tint/hue on the Plasma will yield a much better picture for Commando and Ikari Warriors.

Leaving a modern display at default tint/hue yields a very overly green looking dirt, due to the nature of the hue "brown/tan" (range) being utilized for Commando and Ikari Warriors being highly sensitive, strongly contingent on the default tint/hue setting of the display device.

• Like 2

Adjusting the tint/hue on the Plasma will yield a much better picture for Commando and Ikari Warriors.

Leaving a modern display at default tint/hue yields a very overly green looking dirt, due to the nature of the hue "brown/tan" (range) being utilized for Commando and Ikari Warriors being highly sensitive, strongly contingent on the default tint/hue setting of the display device.

Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering about that. I adjusted the color pots using diagnostic cart.
  • Like 1

Whoa...does that explain why Donkey Kong looks green on my 7800???

Whoa...does that explain why Donkey Kong looks green on my 7800???

Short Answer:

Yes.

Long Answer:

Donkey Kong's fur specifically utilizes the value $F3. The Hue range $Fx is one of three hue ranges across Atari consoles in which a resulting shade of color can vary quite noticeably. The other two ranges are $Ex and $1x.

-$Fx and $Ex = Impacted greatly by tint/hue setting of the display device AND how "warmed-up" is the console.

-$1x = Impacted greatly by tint/hue setting of the display device ONLY. The appearance of the colors will not change regardless of console "warm-up".

The Kicker:

Color calibration of the 7800 console (Color pot closest to the cartridge port on the motherboard) is contingent on matching a $Fx value with a $1x value. This inadvertently can cause a very strongly calibrated green looking palette if the $1x reference is leaning green, as $Fx will be configured that way as well.

The Fix:

Hue range $1x should not lean green or chartreuse (Green-yellow); instead, it should appear as a true gold/golden range. The dark end of Hue $1x range should be a true brown (Not dark hazel), the light end a bright yellow (Not yellow-green).

Hue $1x is highlighted below, taken from the Color Demo Cart and from RevEng's utility cartridge, exemplifying a properly calibrated color pot:

post-18-0-49969900-1491512760_thumb.pngpost-18-0-88976500-1491512760_thumb.png

Ensuring Hue $1x is in the golden range first on the display being utilized, then calibrate the color pot on the 7800 console, avoids an overly green appearing palette.

Where "warm-up" fits into the picture ultimately and ideally, after color calibration is performed, a consistently running console demonstrates the Hue $Fx range appearance as falling between the shades of Hues $1x and $2x. This provisions a full 256 color palette:

post-18-0-17127000-1491513877_thumb.pngpost-18-0-62235600-1491513877_thumb.png

Some/Most consoles are color calibrated rather quickly though; consequently, when the console is completely warmed-up, the end result is $Fx (closely) matching $2x, and $Ex (closely) matching $1x:

post-18-0-07660500-1491514544_thumb.pngpost-18-0-63274800-1491514543_thumb.png

• Like 4