IGNORED

Ataribox

That's nice. So you provide a photo of the cart label and the console illegally downloads it offline. Sneaky... :ahoy:

It's not totally clear that's what it will do. It sounds like there are two modes, download, and streaming. "Streaming" in this case means running in the web-based emulator, which requires persistent access to the internet and doesn't allow you to save your game.

Our exclusive Retro-Reload Google Safe Search takes the worry out of finding new games. Whether's it's commercial sites like Steam Powered, Good Old Gamer, or online libraries like the Internet Archive or Atari Age, we make sure your searches are always family-safe, and virus free.

With our Retro Streaming Accelerator, streaming games is as simple as clicking a link. In fact, there's over 10,000 free games to stream on the Internet Archive alone--all of which play full-screen and full-speed, thanks to our exclusive streaming technology.

Here's a list of just some of the FREE games you can stream:

• Internet Arcade - Defender, Q-bert, Out Run, and over 600 more!
  • Console Living Room - Pitfall, Frogger, Star Wars, and thousands more!
  • Software Collection - Oregon Trail, Wolfenstien 3D, Donkey Kong and over 10,000 more!

Don't worry if these game run slow or poorly on your home PC, our streaming software technology allows them to run at full-speed without glitches.

If anyone who is inclined to pay $100+ for that, please PM me and I'll tell you a dirty little secret -- you don't need their box to play those things in your browser. Just click the links, sheeple!

• Like 1

Well... that Dreamcade Replay sure looks cool and all, but whatever it can do i can do on the very computer i'm typing this from, and my phone as awkward as it might be, some of the older computer junk laying about the house everywhere, my modded-to-near-death Xbox with the Big-ass-emulator-disc inserted and i could probably fidget-and-force some of the PS3s or the PS4 to do it too so besides the cool form factor it's lukewarm.

I sure do hope the AtariBox doesnt just go all-in on emulation or retro gaming like that. As already stated, market is too crowded as it is and anyone with more than 2 bolts and a nut for brains can get it running without buying dedicated boxes or Flashbacks.

I am willing to give it a chance if it can play some degree of modern games. I'm particular to space-ship blasting, driving games and sports games at the moment and those should be easy to pull off.

They still have my attention, but i'm not particularly hyped.

Crowfunding is not always that bad, if you look at things like the SmachZ, is a Handheld Steambox with around 800 Gflops wich was successfully founded and the creators are a very tiny Spanish Dev Group, so I think Atari, even in his actual form, has a chance to come with a similar or a better result. If you ask me, all I want is a Atari miniPC with that good wood design and the hook (if there is one) is secondary, if this thing is a more affordable version of things like the Alienware Alpha I will definitely buy one, I hope the performance/price ratio is enough to make it interesting, if it is another half assed "console" like the Nvidia Shield TV then I will pass.

Edited by Atari Junon

SmachZ is a scam.

Based on what?, I played it (with Metro Last Light) recently in a Spanish Games Convention (i'm from Spain) and it is what they promise, a portable PC and is going to be shipped soon, is very far from being a "scam". Edited by Atari Junon

It's cool that you actually played it. SmachZ seems feasible, it's essentially a GPD Win or Nvidia Shield without a keyboard or clamshell design. It's late, and the makers haven't been providing enough updates. Some of their claims, like modular, user upgradeable SOCs, seem too good to be true.

There have been enough high profile crowdfunding failures, it almost seems reasonable to label (or perhaps more appropriately, "libel" ;)) things as scams until proven otherwise.

• Like 3

Slander. I slandered Smach Z. :D

Check out Stop, Drop and Retro's video about the Smach Z debacle.

No, it's libel since you wrote it down. Slander is if you said it out loud.

I will check out StopDrop's video, he's always amusing to me. For all I know, it's the one linked here ...

post-2410-0-80976300-1501123463_thumb.png

Edit: it is one and the same!

• Like 1

^ Yep!

This was my last response to them and they haven't bothered me since:

DEgmc_oXoAAhB47.jpg

But of course the bigger issue they avoid is that it's not even libel or slander in the first place if my statements are true, which they recently revealed them to be after they finally opened up their "prototype":

DFtJ_TiUwAEnnJW.jpg

• Like 1

This looks to be a better option vs. Ataribox --- http://dreamcades.com/index.html Tell me what you guys think.

We discussed it on just the previous page, starting here:

This seems a lot like the Ataribox concept, although more laser-focused on being an emulation box: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1329525418/dreamcade-replay-one-console-to-rule-them-all?token=db604b98

This looks to be a better option vs. Ataribox --- http://dreamcades.com/index.html Tell me what you guys think.

This is being discussed in one of the other threads, maybe it was the one called "new atari console that ataribox"?

Looks cute, but does absolutely nothing a modest PC couldn't do. "Streaming" from internet archive's web player is the laziest feature ever.

Looks cute, but does absolutely nothing a modest PC couldn't do. "Streaming" from internet archive's web player is the laziest feature ever.

So that makes it highly dependent on a 3rd party service, which may change significantly over time. Enough to where it doesn't work anymore.

I see this as a dedicated preview device. If you want to do real high-quality emulation then you need a PC running emulators locally. Emulators that have been in development for 10+ years.

Nonsense!! Emulation must be taken seriously. No joking please. And no half-assed streaming boxes.

I don't know what it is with streaming, but the push is on. And my IP gave me a free upgrade in service so that I may try out yet more streaming stuff. I told them not to bother.

Edited by Keatah

So much for the Dreamcade. Not surprising I guess:

Hello,

This is a message from Kickstarter’s Integrity team. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, Dreamcade Replay - One Console To Rule Them All, is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

The project has been removed from public view until the dispute is resolved, which can take up to 30 days. The project’s funding and the countdown to its deadline have been stopped. If the project becomes available again, the countdown will continue and the new deadline will extend past the original deadline for as much time as the project was unavailable. You can find out more by reading our Copyright Policy and our Trademark Policy.

Original deadline

Wed, Aug 16 2017 8:12 pm EDT

Time remaining if project becomes available
19 days

Your pledge is currently still active. If you’d like to manage your pledge or reach out to the creator directly, you can still do so through the project page.

• Like 2