IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On the other hand, you have data mining, targeted ads, and in worse case scenarios, identity theft or employers using "private" information against you...

I don't think people understand the extent of this. I interviewed at a data-mining company and the extent of what they do was quite creepy. Also yes your online activities could show up in a background report potential employers look up. Be careful what you put online.

• Like 4

More of a problem is the time this tech consumes. And if the world wasn't such a hateful place, people wouldn't dig the dirt to use against you so readily.

This whole planet needs a big-ass alien invasion to unify it!

I have been saying that for as long as I can remember....

I don't think people understand the extent of this. I interviewed at a data-mining company and the extent of what they do was quite creepy. Also yes your online activities could show up in a background report potential employers look up. Be careful what you put online.

Anyone remember the old BBS days where everyone used Aliases? Pretty sure that remained up until things like Facebook and MySpace appeared. Where the mass of people who don't realize what they put on the Internet is A) not necessarily secure, and B) there FOREVER. For example, that data breach/hacked passwords of all those celebrities and their personal photos that were snagged off of iCloud. People willingly sync their private data 'to the cloud' and some (depending on your choice of phone.. looking at you Nexus /Pixel) you're kind of forced to store things on the Internet due to not having SD cards for local storage. Most people aren't going to set up personal NASs at their homes with Owncloud or anything.

• Like 4

Hey Bill, I have a new guess. Actually, it's kind of an old guess, but I don't think you ever shot it down.

When most people think of Atari, they think of games, but Atari made computers too, and this thing is PC-based. Also noting that Fred Chesnais and my dev response email never used the word game, I'm wondering...

Is this thing meant to be a computer rather than a console?

Also noting this exchange between moycon and Bill from another thread:

moycon: Wonder if it's some sort of box that you can use to create your own simple games. Probably wouldn't be a huge market for it, but it would "definitely have some interest from some people"

Bill: Although I'm sure that could be an option by the very nature of the product, I would not think that would be an explicit feature considering what it is. Unless things have changed, I would not consider this an innovative product per se. If the intended price/hardware/performance targets were somehow met, it could be a good relative value, which might ultimately be its most significant market differentiator.

So Bill, maybe this is a cheap Raspberry Pi style processor in an Atari case? Some people joked about that, but I wonder...

You know,...

An ATARI LUNCHBOX with WOODGRAIN (and maybe an Atari logo that lights up) that plays videogames, Would be really Cool!!

BTW, I'm pretty sure I have stolen more than 50% of this idea from reading between the lines on Nathan Strum's comic...

• Like 2

I emailed them to be a developer (have 3 games nearing completion). Still nothing back from them.

BTW: Ataribox is a dumb name. How about Atari Lightwave? Or Atari Photon? or Atari Cosmos?....of wait, forgot that last one.

Mt Fuji. Because it inspired the original logo? :P

I'm a go play on my FUJI, y'allz... :cool:

• Like 1

You know,...

An ATARI LUNCHBOX with WOODGRAIN (and maybe an Atari logo that lights up) that plays videogames, Would be really Cool!!

BTW, I'm pretty sure I have stolen more than 50% of this idea from reading between the lines on Nathan Strum's comic...

I likely wasn't the first to think of it, but I think I may have been the first in this particular thread to suggest that it might be a lunch box.

I wouldn't mention it except that I don't want to lose out the vast amount of Atari street cred I might earn if I turn out to be right.

On the other hand, I just wanted it to carry my lunch.

• Like 3

^Good Job BigO!!!

I'm starting to lose track of whose ideas I'm quoting/stealing haha...

Did your lunchbox idea have LASERS? I'm not sure to what end, (But since it's all just kickstarter stuff anyway and may never exist) I'm thinking it also needs Lasers...

Nothing fancy, just enough to put a Pink Floyd show on my ceiling or blow holes in some clouds if I feel like it...

• Like 3

^Good Job BigO!!!

I'm starting to lose track of whose ideas I'm quoting/stealing haha...

Did your lunchbox idea have LASERS? I'm not sure to what end, (But since it's all just kickstarter stuff anyway and may never exist) I'm thinking it also needs Lasers...

Nothing fancy, just enough to put a Pink Floyd show on my ceiling or blow holes in some clouds if I feel like it...

Or play Laser Blast?

Hey guys, go to the ataribox Facebook page, whatever this thing is, it looks like it'll have two models. One with woodgrain, and one with a light orange color.

Spiffy. I think the box should be blacker with the woodgrain box.

Wonder if this is what's inside? http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/eagle-box-android-retro-games-console

• Like 1