IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I have a strange feeling that even if they deliver the Atari VCS, and it goes belly up a month later, the hardware will become a collectible item and will reach Jaguar-level crazy prices on eBay. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see...

with no physical games to collect with it, what a boring collectible. There are Pong units that are more collectible and will be more valuable than this thing.

• Like 1

so.. if i've caught up and understanding the last couple of thread pages, Atari SA claimed that Tempest 4000 was running on their system but then changed the descriptions when they got called out on it?

my head might as well be on a swivel considering how much i've been shaking it lately at their missteps. lol

• Like 2

I have a strange feeling that even if they deliver the Atari VCS, and it goes belly up a month later, the hardware will become a collectible item and will reach Jaguar-level crazy prices on eBay. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see...

That kind of thinking completely ignores the fact that well before they became ridiculously priced collectibles, I bought three Jags at KayBee on clearance for 25 bucks apiece.

• Like 7

so.. if i've caught up and understanding the last couple of thread pages, Atari SA claimed that Tempest 4000 was running on their system but then changed the descriptions when they got called out on it?

my head might as well be on a swivel considering how much i've been shaking it lately at their missteps. lol

They should have been more clear, but my guess is their test platform is a PC with the same specs as the VCS. This is not surprising at this point in the development process.

Pretty much.

When "Atari" showed their "sneak peek" of Tempest 4000, they strongly implied it was running on the system. The dude in the Atari shirt using the "modern controller" had two "VCS" units on the table, the screen showed "Video Computer System" in the title screen, and no indication was given that it was not production hardware.

GilesGoat in the YakYak forum stated that he didn't know anything about the AtariBox, and that they never tested or shipped a Linux version of Tempest 4000, which was written in DirectX for Windows.

This was pointed out in this forum, but got lost in the tacos, as often happens.

Then someone posted it in the "official" (Historian-made) subreddit and copied to a couple of other places, including /r/Drama (!) as well as posting a comment in the campaign page.

I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference -- Atari always had nothing, only now they're in defense mode, which makes them not look not just lame, but guilty, too.

• Like 2

I'd give ya a 1-4% chance of that. Being that it's a standard PC, it will almost certainly depreciate to 0% value in 4 years. Stuff that has an ecosystem (like star wars toys, or a tangible cartridge library), a movie or character property tie-in, or connection to a significant event has a better chance of being sought after. I don't see the box being more than a passing fart. Oddly, the revamped classic joystick might have some lasting value on its own if it isn't abhorrent quality. If they really wanted to make a name for themselves and not be mocked, they would have aimed lower and partnered to make a pair of exclusive new retro Bluetooth controllers to package with another rehash of the game library. There's a lot of untapped potential in that, it would have a much wider audience, and be at a much more approachable price point. How many times do you have to hear people ask for a modern paddle controller, a Tempest spinner, or a modern retro stick with more buttons?

"laser-focused on delivering all the big console versions" is a spin-lie, too. The PC and PS4 versions are DONE and have been for months. The Xbone version is only a few weeks behind in terms of disc release, so it's probably done too.

At least they're acknowledging that the game is elsewhere ... and imply that their "console" is not "big."

• Like 5

I dont like what happened with the Tempest thing.

With matters like these i also get my doubts if everything is ok behind the curtains.

To be honest: I am also not pleased that with the Beginning of the campaign there is so less information about Games and Services.

Thats really a point where i have to give you all credit.

I am still positive though that in 1 year things will turn into good and many of you will be convinced and change your opinion.

You could then apologize that you were so negative. :-D :P

Pretty much.

When "Atari" showed their "sneak peek" of Tempest 4000, they strongly implied it was running on the system. The dude in the Atari shirt using the "modern controller" had two "VCS" units on the same, the screen showed "Video Computer System" in the title screen, and no indication was given that it was not production hardware.

GilesGoat in the YakYak forum stated that he didn't know anything about the AtariBox, and that they never tested or shipped a Linux version of Tempest 4000, which was written in DirectX for Windows.

This was pointed out in this forum, but got lost in the tacos, as often happens.

Then someone posted it in the "official" (Historian-made) subreddit and copied to a couple of other places, including /r/Drama (!) as well as posting a comment in the campaign page.

I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference -- Atari always had nothing, only now they're in defense mode, which makes them not look not just lame, but guilty, too.

So who's idea was it to superimpose the "Video Computer System" on the Windows gameplay footage from the betamax recorder while the guy fidgets the sticks randomly with no connection to the movement on the screen?

• Like 2

So who's idea was it to superimpose the "Video Computer System" on the Windows gameplay footage from the betamax recorder while the guy fidgets the sticks randomly with no connection to the movement on the screen?

Speaking of which I made that sync test video with two views: one with the controller and timestamps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byxjFt8P_Jc

• Like 4

the "*All IP shown is the trademarked property of their respective owners and is depicted for illustration purposes only." was there on day one, at least by the time i looked in the afternoon

Yes but...

When "Atari" showed their "sneak peek" of Tempest 4000, they strongly implied it was running on the system. The dude in the Atari shirt using the "modern controller" had two "VCS" units on the same, the screen showed "Video Computer System" in the title screen, and no indication was given that it was not production hardware.

And since that video isn't exclusive to Indiegogo, and the video itself doesn't indicate that it's "for illustration purposes only", then it strikes me as being intentionally deceptive. They know they have nothing, and if they'd admitted it at the outset of their campaign, they'd be flailing right now. They buried the disclaimer on their Indiegogo page as a fallback - not in an attempt to be transparent.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 6

Atari said in the comments section:

"This is just the beginning"

and

"With the VCS solid and ready to go for launch, there will be countless places to go after that."

"this platform is intended to offer a lot of opportunity to expand in many ways."

That Bill guy seems like a dick.

How would you respond if a company took your IP, lied about having the rights to it in order to raise money?

And yeah, I realize he doesn't own the IP, but that's a perfectly valid remark.

Edited by TheVgaTv

And here's how to cancel an IndieGogo pledge and get a refund.

https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002383767-Backer-FAQ

If AtariBox is going to be so great in a year, there's no rush to jump in now.

If their purpose is to build a crowd and not fund the console, there's no rush to fund them.

If AtariBox can't honestly and directly answer simple questions, that's not a good crowd to join.

• Like 4

Yes but...

And since that video isn't exclusive to Indiegogo, and the video itself doesn't indicate that it's "for illustration purposes only", then it strikes me as being intentionally deceptive. They know they have nothing, and if they'd admitted it at the outset of their campaign, they'd be flailing right now. They buried the disclaimer on their Indiegogo page as a fallback - not in an attempt to be transparent.

i didn't really mean it as a point in their favor, afterall the main pitch video has no such disclaimer. just that future data gatherers can save a few minutes checking for indiegogo edits. (for now)

Take a look closely at times 0:06 and 0:07 with the guy in the blue shirt saying "Go" and then an audible click.

Also this video just showed up about a half-hour ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbinZ8v14e0

Shane is not usually a shouty YouTube man (unless it's for comedy's sake), so I hope a couple of people who seem to have wool in their ears actually listen to this. Edited by dj_convoy

And here's how to cancel an IndieGogo pledge and get a refund.

https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002383767-Backer-FAQ

If AtariBox is going to be so great in a year, there's no rush to jump in now.

If their purpose is to build a crowd and not fund the console, there's no rush to fund them.

If AtariBox can't honestly and directly answer simple questions, that's not a good crowd to join.

Simple as that.

• Like 5