IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Beans are a perfect food. All you bean haters are heretics! You shut your dirty mouths! And contrary to any childhood limericks, I have never experienced any musical side effects from eating them.

Back on topic, did any other backers receive an email from Nutari today? Basically asking you to share your support for the VCS on social media? Very strange.

• Like 5

Beans are a perfect food. All you bean haters are heretics! You shut your dirty mouths! And contrary to any childhood limericks, I have never experienced any musical side effects from eating them.

Back on topic, did any other backers receive an email from Nutari today? Basically asking you to share your support for the VCS on social media? Very strange.

I agree, beans are great, and if you have the right enzymes in your gut, they're less smelly than other things people eat, such as meat.

Back on topic (or are TACOS the real topic?), if you felt like posting that email from Atari into this thread, that would be great. For history. ;-)

Meanwhile, in Hippopotamus Receiving Division, otherwise known as the IndieGoGo comments:

post-2410-0-08755100-1539620730_thumb.png

I can't follow the French video well enough to understand it, but the "very interesting" (spoiler: not that interesting) slide deck is attached here.

DECK-MIDCAP-VDEF-US.pdf

There are some financial numbers included, which attempt to tell the story that not only is "Atari" out of the hole, it's soaring into the sun. Some good spin within about their cash infusion (referenced as a "loan" on page 34, which is curious), as well as their settlement of the longstanding Alone in the Dark dispute. Contrary to my dozens of posts on the topic, I don't care enough about them to pick apart their numbers, other than to wonder if everything in their books is completely cricket. I'll bet it would be easy to find something hinky in there if you looked closely at all.

So here's the most hilarious thing we're likely to see about "Atari VCS" today, from their presentation:

post-2410-0-80807000-1539621220_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-82601600-1539621228_thumb.png

Look at us! We're "one of the only PC-based TV devices in the market!" Unless you plug your PC into your TV, of course. But wait! We have Bluetooth 5! You know, so you can have more range and throughput for your game controller. That way, you can play Yars' Revenge in the living room from the kitchen. And more USB ports than the competition! Never mind that everyone else uses wireless controls, and that hubs exist. And their HDMI standard is slightly higher! Not that they're doing anything which will actually leverage that. "First console to bring voice to the living room" is simply a lie. Let's not even mention the numerous misspellings in there.

The silliest of all?

Games: PC-architecture allows flexible content platform strategy; resulting in more games at better prices. Competitive, extensive gaming library.

Media: PC-architecture allows better media & streaming experience than competition. Easy customer access to more media & streaming content.

giphy.gif

It's so incoherent, it's not even a good argument for why PCs are better than consoles.

I'll hand them one thing: a Features Comparison Matrix is a wonderful way to get mocked mercilessly.

post-2410-0-87231800-1539622300.png

Oh, and everything else in "Atari's" matrix actually exists in stores today -- and it's so out of date, many of the devices have superior followups. But perhaps Atari wins in the Jaguar-style "pure potential" category. Since it's not out yet, fans can project their hopes and dreams onto it.

• Like 9

I can't follow the French video well enough to understand it, but the "very interesting" (spoiler: not that interesting) slide deck is attached here.

attachicon.gifDECK-MIDCAP-VDEF-US.pdf

I yawned so hard reading that, I slightly dislocated my jaw. This had better not impact my ability to eat tacos.

It's all quite vague and sad. I can't imagine anyone looking through that and seriously thinking Atari is on the rebound (or even marginally relevant).

Of course, that won't stop people from doing just that. It's just that I can't imagine it.

Let's not even mention the numerous misspellings in there.

Oh... let's go ahead and mention two of them:

post-2641-0-99243300-1539626347.jpg

post-2641-0-52763600-1539626356.jpg

So glad to see Atari has cleared up the naming confusion with the original VCS, by renaming their new console the VSC.

Can't wait to rush out and buy my very own Video Something Computer™!

• Like 10

So glad to see Atari has cleared up the naming confusion with the original VCS, by renaming their new console the VSC.

Can't wait to rush out and buy my very own Video Something Computer™!

I figured maybe the word order might be different in French, so in an effort not to appear stupid (like Atari SA's business ventures) I left that one alone ...

though it seems that despite avoiding the use of the VCS acronym in French advertising, VCS is the correct order.

post-2410-0-21693600-1539633129_thumb.jpg

But maybe it means something else these days. My favorite contenders are below the list in bold face (like Atari SA's lies)

VSC	Vehicle Stability Control
VSC	Vermont Service Center
VSC	Vehicle Service Contract
VSC	Vessel Safety Check (US Coast Guard Auxilliary)
VSC	Voluntary State Curriculum
VSC	Vehicle Skid Control
VSC	Vertebral Subluxation Complex (chiropractic)
VSC	Vermont State Colleges (Waterbury, Vermont)
VSC	Victory Services Club (London, UK)
VSC	Voltage Source Converter
VSC	Volume Shadow Copy
VSC	Video Standards Council
VSC	Variable Speed Control
VSC	Voice Squelch Control (radio communication)
VSC	Variable Structure Control
VSC	Volatile Sulfur Compound
VSC	Video Spectral Comparator (document fraud detector)
VSC	Voice Scan Control
VSC	Vertical Service Code
VSC	Valencia Street Circuit (racing; Spain)
VSC	Virtual Service Community (Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP)
VSC	Volunteer Special Constabulary (Singapore Police Force)
VSC	Video Signal Converter (space flight hardware)
VSC	Vietnam Solidarity Campaign
VSC	Vinlanders Social Club (online community)
VSC	Virtual Stamp Club
VSC	Variable Speed Compressor (military aviation environmental control systems)
VSC	Virtual Services Corporation (UK)
VSC	Vietnam Standards Centre
VSC	Virtualization Service Client (Windows virtualization)
VSC	Ventilated Storage Cask
VSC	Vancouver Swim Club (Vancouver, WA)
VSC	Vacuum System Controller
VSC	Vintage Stunt Championships
VSC	Video System Controller
VSC	Vacationland Swim Club (Sandusky, OH)
VSC	Victoria's Secret Catalog (women's apparel)
VSC	Virtual Switching Consultancy Limited (Hong Kong)
VSC	Varzim Sport Club
VSC	Vélo Sport Chalonnais (French: Sport Bike Chalonnais; Chalon, France)
VSC	Vault Splice Closure
VSC	Vocations for Social Change (California and Massachusetts)
VSC	Visual Sequence Comparison
VSC	Victims Services Center (various locations)
VSC	Vast System Change
VSC	Voluntary Settlement Conference
VSC	Volume Scattering Coefficient
VSC	Vancouver-Singapore Club
VSC	Valve Status Chart
VSC	Value Chain Scorecard
VSC	Visiting Scholars Center
VSC	Visiting Scholars Centre (Open University of Hong Kong)
VSC	Very Small Cell
VSC	Victoria School Choir
VSC	Vadamarachchi Steno Club (Sri Lanka)
VSC	Virginia Surety Company, Inc. (The Warranty Group, Inc.)
VSC	Viveks Service Centre (India)
VSC	Visible Systems Corporation Pty Ltd (Perth, WA, Australia)
VSC	Veterans Service Commission (various locations)
VSC	Volunteer Services Coordinator (various organizations)
VSC	Virtual Sport Community

VSC Volatile Sulfur Compound

VSC Ventilated Storage Cask

VSC Vintage Stunt Championships

VSC Victims Services Center

VSC Vast System Change

VSC Voluntary Settlement Conference

VSC Volume Scattering Coefficient

VSC Very Small Cell

VSC Victoria School Choir

• Like 5

RIP Sears, the end is near. Remember that Sears air conditioning commercial that they ran for how many years? You might think you won't, but as soon as you hear the first 3 seconds you'll immediately remember it perfectly, word for word, as if it just aired yesterday!

But seriously I will say this, Sears brand names, unlike Walmart, were known for their quality. My dad is an auto mechanic and swore by Craftsmen tools his whole life. The mere fact that Sears has fallen has far as they have and were able to sell off Kenmore and later Craftsman for a whopping $900 million to Black & Decker in 2017 says a lot. You shopped at Sears and could trust their store brand products and knew you were getting quality. Whereas growing up, my grandma always said as a kid "If you buy it at Walmart, it's just going to break the next day"

You could take your car and trust the service people.

I worked at Walmart for almost 6 years (5 years and 10 months) and over 3 of those years I was an overnight support manager, but anyways, my store had an auto center car shop whatever you call it. There is no way in hell I would ever think of taking my car there and have a Walmart associate perform any kind of service on my vehicle The people they would hire, holy hell (Sorry i'm just ranting now, but it FEELS so good to no longer be at Walmart! Left almost 2 months ago and started by new job right after I quit, which is a big reason I haven't been posting here in this thread as much as I used too, have gotten use to no longer working 8:30pm-7:30am all week and every single freakin' weekend)

Edited by Pink
  • Like 3

I love iOS, I like AppleTV, and the games that are on there are OK, but there aren't any system sellers. I'd rather have Steppy Pants than Atari Vault, though (seriously!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLXTVNQtZpU

Never heard of or seen Steppy Pants before. But after watching that, I have an overwhelming desire to listen to some Dire Straits. Edited by nick3092

If you want a PC-based TV device already on the market that'd score most of the same positives as the VSC, and at a mere tenth of the price to boot, there's also the Raspberry Pi.

I've got three of them, a Roku, a Switch and a Windows HTPC. I gave up on the idea of having one device that could do it all ages ago, and Atari seem unlikely to change that.

• Like 1

Well then, now that we have some kind of comparison matrix perhaps it is due time to update the William Shatner advertisement. I'm not sure if Atari mainly are comparing their product to cheaper solutions doing less, or more expensive products doing more?

• Like 3