IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I swear I've always known them as flushies. I SWEAR!

And when we administered them they were still called flushies.

---

Poofter, swirly.. AtariAge is very educational at times.

And there are different types as well. A standard swirly is just with plain ol' toilet water or maybe some piss. A chocolate swirly on the other hand has some serious substance to it :P

Like it or not this is the current Atari and while im skeptical I hope this turns out to be something cool and successful. I know when it was announced a chunk of my friends were excited to see something other than PS4 and Xbox. This might not be what they wanted but maybe they can get some money from it and head towards making newer cool stuff.

Like it or not this is the current Atari and while im skeptical I hope this turns out to be something cool and successful. I know when it was announced a chunk of my friends were excited to see something other than PS4 and Xbox. This might not be what they wanted but maybe they can get some money from it and head towards making newer cool stuff.

I admire your optimism.

Catbert_7065.jpg

I wonder what your friends want in a console that is not available already from an Xbox One, PS4, or Nintendo Switch. The current price that is floating around for the Ataribox is around the same cost as these other three, so it won't provide an inexpensive gaming solution. I love being able to revisit my old Atari memories through the 7800 I have and if the Ataribox was an affordable means to do that on a modern TV, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that it is something I want. What I don't need is another modern gaming solution. I already have many ways to play retro inspired games if I want with the 3 current systems and my PC and there are enough great modern games on the 3 systems to occupy all of my limited gaming time.

So it isn't a matter of liking it or not that some people are excited. I never want to see a company that tries in good faith to put out a product fail. I just haven't seen a convincing marketing story for the Ataribox that describes what it will do differently than current gaming solutions and why I or others would want it.

If the Ataribox provided a method to play my Atari cartridge collection on a modern TV, I'd be interested. That is something I don't get from any of the current systems. Other than that, I'm already overloaded with great gaming options.

• Like 1

I wonder what your friends want in a console that is not available already from an Xbox One, PS4, or Nintendo Switch. The current price that is floating around for the Ataribox is around the same cost as these other three, so it won't provide an inexpensive gaming solution. I love being able to revisit my old Atari memories through the 7800 I have and if the Ataribox was an affordable means to do that on a modern TV, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that it is something I want. What I don't need is another modern gaming solution. I already have many ways to play retro inspired games if I want with the 3 current systems and my PC and there are enough great modern games on the 3 systems to occupy all of my limited gaming time.

So it isn't a matter of liking it or not that some people are excited. I never want to see a company that tries in good faith to put out a product fail. I just haven't seen a convincing marketing story for the Ataribox that describes what it will do differently than current gaming solutions and why I or others would want it.

If the Ataribox provided a method to play my Atari cartridge collection on a modern TV, I'd be interested. That is something I don't get from any of the current systems. Other than that, I'm already overloaded with great gaming options.

Pretty simple, really. Something that isn't controlled by two mega corporations filled with greed and stupidity (in that order, Microsoft being overly greedy, and Sony being stupid in many ways (playstation store being hacked, requiring you to save CC information, etc)). Nintendo is.. well what they have been doing best for the past decade or so, creating exclusive Nintendo games you can't get anywhere else... and a few others.

I'm not sure inexpensive is what people are looking for. There is definitely a place for another console in the market, especially one that can be easily adapted into doing emulation, Steam, etc. If the box is as small, and potentially as powerful as a PS4, and be open? There are TONS of applications for such a box. I'm not saying that's going to be all true... in fact I'd probably say the opposite, too many shifty players involved (too many being one+). If it gets built and sold, I'd buy one. I'd want a guarantee that I'd get my money back if I backed it and it failed though. Only way I'll back this. Got burned with the Jolla tablet, that was enough...

The other reason is... maybe.. BIG MAYBE.. they'll figure out what SteamOS hasn't been able to yet, and that's getting PC gaming into the living room. While SteamOS does great for such things, it's been marketed in the EXACT same way the old Atari used to market. Like a shy kid saying, "Uhm.. hey guys, I have this thing over here... maybe.. oh, sorry we don't actually have any in the store..." When they came out I stopped into a few Gamestops and not a single one had a Steam Machine in stock, nor did they have any on order (though they'd sold the few they did have). The Steam Controller on the other hand was simply sold out everywhere.

Now granted most Video game stores haven't carried anything PC related for YEARS. Hell, even Wal-mart with their crappy selection of PC games.. I saw a box for Battlefront that said "No disk included, only Origin Key." Like what's the point in buying physical copies anymore if all they provide is an empty case with a key? How the hell do publishers still exist?

Someone needs to make a gif of a swirly in the JagCD toilet.

Not my best but at least I tried. Still though nothing new about the court case between Atari and Nestle either. That'll take several years before anything is settled. The current "Atari" shouldn't hold their breath.

gallery_18158_784_1294513.gif

Ha, usually people administered were the bullies and wouldn't know the word "administered". Wedgie time!

People that do the administering are the ones that make it good in life. People that receive them are usually more socially inept and can't maneuver through society.

Not my best but at least I tried. Still though nothing new about the court case between Atari and Nestle either. That'll take several years before anything is settled. The current "Atari" shouldn't hold their breath.

gallery_18158_784_1294513.gif

Nice! I think Atari needs to take a break... and break me off a piece of that KitKat bar... now I want some KitKats...

People that do the administering are the ones that make it good in life. People that receive them are usually more socially inept and can't maneuver through society.

Touche! Though to be fair I know many socially inept people who are brilliant and make 100k+ a year.

• Like 1

Now granted most Video game stores haven't carried anything PC related for YEARS. Hell, even Wal-mart with their crappy selection of PC games.. I saw a box for Battlefront that said "No disk included, only Origin Key." Like what's the point in buying physical copies anymore if all they provide is an empty case with a key? How the hell do publishers still exist?

Collectors like to have the boxes on their shelves.

Actually I think this is a win-win: Has the physical collector items (if a collector edition), the convenience of digital (no disk swapping), and gives physical retailers a reason to exist in the digital age.

Pretty simple, really. Something that isn't controlled by two mega corporations filled with greed and stupidity

You mean like Atari c.1982? ;)

I'm only half-serious with that comment, but bear in mind that they were the 800-lb. gorilla at the time, same as Sony and Microsoft are now. Another video game crash and we could see the tables turn, much as it did for Atari courtesy of poor decisions involving the Famicom / NES and 7800.

I'm not sure inexpensive is what people are looking for.

Inexpensive, sure. Cheap, no. There needs to be substance (and not just physically) to an inexpensive device, or it risks becoming cheap - and nobody wants cheap crap except perhaps to see how long it takes for it break.

There is definitely a place for another console in the market, especially one that can be easily adapted into doing emulation, Steam, etc. If the box is as small, and potentially as powerful as a PS4, and be open? There are TONS of applications for such a box.

Absolutely agreed that there is a place for another console in the market - but all of the use cases you're outlining are ones where an existing console can do exactly those things in software. Those particular situations don't require additional hardware, and the expense of buying Yet Another Platform to run software that could just as easily be implemented on the PlaySwitchBox already sitting next to the TV makes the purchase difficult to justify. But spend a few bucks and a few minutes downloading from the appropriate platform store and you've improved distribution and penetration.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

I don't believe there is room for another console. But room can be made. It can be wedged in. As can 10 more consoles.

I don't think so either, unless it has a unique value proposition. I have yet to see one here. I don't think the possibility (right now, no real confirmation) of this allowing the installation of emulators (or having some emulators included) is something with broad appeal. For those that something like that would appeal to, I suspect they already have a multitude of solutions and don't necessarily need this. Even if they did need it, that's probably a very small group of people.

It's NOT fair to dismiss this out of hand, but it IS fair to be extremely skeptical when looking at the current competitive landscape and what little we know about this so far.

• Like 4

I don't believe there is room for another console. But room can be made. It can be wedged in. As can 10 more consoles.

There certainly is. I know people who hate both Microsoft and Sony with a passion, and the Switch is not really available readily, not to mention it is like most of Nintendo's latest hardware, it has a short list of 'must have' games that will be about the only ones bought for it. I thought of getting one myself, but then heard the build quality was cheap.

I don't think so either, unless it has a unique value proposition. I have yet to see one here. I don't think the possibility (right now, no real confirmation) of this allowing the installation of emulators (or having some emulators included) is something with broad appeal. For those that something like that would appeal to, I suspect they already have a multitude of solutions and don't necessarily need this. Even if they did need it, that's probably a very small group of people.

It's NOT fair to dismiss this out of hand, but it IS fair to be extremely skeptical when looking at the current competitive landscape and what little we know about this so far.

In my opinion, the ONE thing that makes the 'Ataribox' (god I hope they change the final name!) worthwhile is that it's Linux based and said to be 'open'. This is completely different than all current consoles which (I had pointed out earlier) you can't just throw emulators and ROMs on. In fact they pretty much all specifically forbid such a thing, with the exception of hacking the actual consoles to get your own ROMs on there.

Remember the outcry when a PS3 firmware update removed the Linux install option? There may be a small amount of people, but certainly some that would like a completely open platform. I think beyond anything that's the single thing that makes this interesting (outside of some weird 2600 looking case that they claim has real wood on it.)

• Like 2

Remember the outcry when a PS3 firmware update removed the Linux install option?

Only because of the class action lawsuit. I think I could have gotten seven bucks or so if I could show that I used the Linux install option. The lawyers did well for themselves, but I remain unconvinced that anyone was "harmed" by that change. The PS3 was old weak by the time of the settlement -- and even before then, not good for much while running Linux.

• Like 1

I'd heard that there were some military / science usage for them being clustered and running Linux. After all, they were / are the cheapest Cell processor based systems you can get. There are some things that the architecture was brilliant for. They just ended up being too expensive, and not all of the cool factor was used correctly.

Also made the PS3 difficult to develop for, from what I understood of things. Which is now why all current generation consoles are nothing but PC hardware wrapped in a console-like package.