IGNORED

Problem Atari XC11 tape recorder

Steve79

Digita un messaggio...

Hi everyone, I need some help with a XC11 tape recorder... I bought an Atari XL 800 with a tape rcorder some days ago, it turns on perfectly, but it doesnt rwd or fwd! Only the play seems to work (even if it gives me always an error message). Further I realize that both fwd and rwd seems to work without cassette. It seems too weak to spin. Any idea how to fix it? Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have similar problem, my xc 11 play normally a cassette but I cant rewind or fast forward (with or withour a cassette)... I replaced the belts but the problem remain.
In particular when I push the rewind button (or the ffw) the cassette spin for 2-3 seconds, then it stops... It seems a lack of power.. I dont understand..
Any idea?

Edited by Earthshaker

Hi, I have similar problem, my xc 11 play normally a cassette but I cant rewind or fast forward (with or withour a cassette)... I replaced the belts but the problem remain.

In particular when I push the rewind button (or the ffw) the cassette spin for 2-3 seconds, then it stops... It seems a lack of power.. I dont understand..

Any idea?

I looked at the manual on Atarimania and the XC11 appears to draw power from SIO, perhaps your power supply is unable to provide enough current for both the computer and tape drive.

I looked at the manual on Atarimania and the XC11 appears to draw power from SIO, perhaps your power supply is unable to provide enough current for both the computer and tape drive.

So you think that is a problem of the power supply? However the motor spins very fast without belt, but it become very week and stops when I install the belts...

The mechanica part seems fine. I can post some pics if it helps..

So you think that is a problem of the power supply? However the motor spins very fast without belt, but it become very week and stops when I install the belts...

The mechanica part seems fine. I can post some pics if it helps..

Without a load on the motor it could spin fast without much current, but when the load is applied it could be too slow or have low voltage if the power supply isn't delivering sufficient current.

There is also a possibiltiy that there is something in the mechanism causing too much friction.

Without a load on the motor it could spin fast without much current, but when the load is applied it could be too slow or have low voltage if the power supply isn't delivering sufficient current.

There is also a possibiltiy that there is something in the mechanism causing too much friction.

I see. Thank you very much for your advice.

I will try to check the cassette drive once more..

New problem... I finally got 15 cassette games but I always get BOOT ERROR or the error code (usually 138, 140)

Is there a way to regulate the head of a XC11? or what can I do?

thank you guys

I would recommend determining if the problem are the cassettes or the data recorder.

1. Get a blank cassette

2. Type-in a BASIC program with 20-30 long lines. It is easy to "clone" lines if you keep overtyping the line number and pressing RETURN. Ensure the program is long enough to span at least 20 blocks. One block is 128 bytes.

10 REM ** THIS IS A TEST PROGRAM **
20 REM ** THIS IS A TEST PROGRAM **
30 REM ** THIS IS A TEST PROGRAM **

3. Record your program with CSAVE command.

4. Try to re-load your program with CLOAD command.

If the data recorder can read what it has recorded previously, it is a good sign. Either the cassettes are too old and unreliable, or you need to align the head.

Edited by baktra