IGNORED

How rare are Atari 8-bit custom chips getting these days?

ACML

As of today, September 23, 2023, the best source for the these chips is still Best Electronics.

SALLY are $8 for CO14806

ANTIC are $5 for CO12296 and $10 for CO21697 

GTIA are $5 for CO14805

POKEY are $30 for CO12294 (lifetime limit of one)

PIA are $9.95 for CO14795 or CO12298

B&C has them as well, but the prices are significantly higher.  The fact the Brad at Best is willing to sell a POKEY for $30, should prompt anyone that wants a spare to place an order and you might as well pick up the other four while you're at it.

43 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

I understand your thinking, however my thought is that having a one to one Pokey replacement chip is better than no Pokey replacement.  Since a real Pokey chip is now over $60, if a one to one replacement could be made for $30 that would be a good thing.

I know its not really a true replacement for the Pokey but has anyone tried a HOKEY as a secondary device in conjunction with a Pokey on such Stereo expansion boards like the TKII-Stereo etc??

That should negate the need to rob Pokey to feed Paula  ;) 

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

I understand your thinking, however my thought is that having a one to one Pokey replacement chip is better than no Pokey replacement.

But there is a replacement. PokeyMax is a Pokey replacement.

I wonder why Antic has been skipped....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Overange said:

How far are you from general release?

I remember this post. If I recall it seemed like it was a proof of concept. It would be great if this becomes available. 

Down the road, I would love to build an Atari computer with all new parts (with modern replacements for the custom chips) just to see if it could be done.

Edited by scorpio_ny
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

Down the road, I would love to build an Atari computer with all new parts (with modern replacements for the custom chips) just to see if it could be done.

I tried to do that with my 600XL at SillyVenture in 2018. Unfortunately I couldn’t get my antic to work standalone in time.  I still run my 600xl with my gtia and pokey in.

Re prices. The chip crisis is easing now, though might be mid 2024 before it’s back to normal.

Edited by foft
  • Like 1