IGNORED

XEP-80... a "kludge"?

Joey Kay

I have read up on the XEP-80, and a lot of reviews from the day lamb-baste it for not using the 130XE's ECI slot.

However, it seems to me that Atari was wise to use the joystick inputs, as it made it accessible to all Atari users, right down to those who bought a 400 in 1979, thus not abandoning their user base at a time when Atari was constantly (and rightfully) being accused of abandoning it's 8-bit users.

Is this a case of people just bitching to hear themselves bitch, or were there good reasons to use the ECI for this?

Cheers!

Joey

What they did made sense from a marketing perspective - given than limiting the device to a fairly small segment of a smaller userbase would have really killed sales.

On the other hand, the XEP80 definitely was a KLUDGE. The 80 column display was nice, but that thing was soooo slooooooow!

What software was released for it? I only had it for AtariWriter+ (80 column) version, which was helpful when writing papers in my final year of high school.

I'm wondering what software used it too. I wanted one pretty badly back in the day, but never found out whether or not my word processor of choice back then (Bank Street Writer) supported it or not. Still wouldn't mind picking one up for cheap, just to check it out.

I'm wondering what software used it too. I wanted one pretty badly back in the day, but never found out whether or not my word processor of choice back then (Bank Street Writer) supported it or not. Still wouldn't mind picking one up for cheap, just to check it out.

B&C is currently holding a number of XEP auctions. They're going pretty cheaply, and I picked up mine for about $22 (plus an extra $10 for "AtariWriter 80"). That's not too bad, esp. as they come boxed.

Joey,

Actually the real shame of the XEP-80 is that its designer had done while under Atari (Warner) an 80 column monitor that plugged into all things: the SIO port!!! I'm not kidding....

Now THAT would've been an appropriate device for across the line of systems instead of the joystick ports.

Curt

Actually the real shame of the XEP-80 is that its designer had done while under Atari (Warner) an 80 column monitor that plugged into all things:  the SIO port!!! I'm not kidding....

Now THAT would've been an appropriate device for across the line of systems instead of the joystick ports.

Curt

No kidding - fascinating... that would have been great, and use of the serial... much wiser.

I would love to see more info about this on the history site when you have time!

CHeers!

Joey

Cheers!

Joey

• 3 months later...

When I was running a Carina II BBS, having an XEP-80 kicked ass. The XEP-80 output was used t display what the user was seeing on the BBS. This worked great, since you had a reasonably accurate view of what Atari ST users in 80 columns were seeing. Then, your 40 column display was used to allow you to edit the user's settings and other things, all while the user was rooting around on the board. This pseudo-multitasking was fantastic--at the time if you wanted to edit a user's settings while the user was online, most systems forced you to "break into" the user's session, which prevented them from using the board while you were making changes. But with Carina II and an XEP-80, you could make changes and the user would never know. :)

I do agree, though, that it is a kludge. :)

..Al

Archived