IGNORED

Atari 2600 chronogaming video project: Atari Archive

ubersaurus

• 3 weeks later...

In the new Atari Archive video, we've got Atari's long-awaited follow-up to Adventure, the horror-themed Haunted House! This title by Jim Andreasen combines the best aspects of both Adventure and Superman with a minimalistic, moody aesthetic, resulting in a very unique and interesting title. Andreasen passed away over two decades ago before he had the opportunity to speak about his video game work, but thanks to a beta dumped a long while back we've got a good look into the design changes this game went through - and how similar it was at an earlier stage to those previous games.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the delay, as I intended to get this out last month but had a series of events that limited my ability to work on it for like 2-3 weeks... but it's here! The giant-size edition of Atari Archive looking at the VCS's best-selling game (by a wide margin), Pac-Man. I wanted to delve into why this game was such a massive seller for Atari, and also why it turned out the way it did (as well as clear up some mythologizing that's formed in the years since). There's lawsuits, seldom-known inspirations, and more in this video!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, for folks interested in the book, the softcover version is now available for preorder on Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/Atari-Archive-Vol-Kevin-Bunch/dp/195518321X

The hardcovers are still available via Limited Run Games' website, of course, but this is a nice option as I know Amazon is easier for some folks to go through!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 4:22 PM, ubersaurus said:

FYI, for folks interested in the book, the softcover version is now available for preorder on Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/Atari-Archive-Vol-Kevin-Bunch/dp/195518321X

The hardcovers are still available via Limited Run Games' website, of course, but this is a nice option as I know Amazon is easier for some folks to go through!

Wow im glad i could finally express my appreciation to the Author for these videos. Ive been off the site a while but found your videos on youtube a while back. They are simply perfect. The narration the nostalgia and the wealth of research you did was incredible . I love how you showed ads from games in local newspapers and magazines :) Your sound and video editing is top stuff. They are such a great venue to learning about Atari's history and culture thru the games it produced .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/15/2023 at 10:38 PM, sylabyss said:

Wow im glad i could finally express my appreciation to the Author for these videos. Ive been off the site a while but found your videos on youtube a while back. They are simply perfect. The narration the nostalgia and the wealth of research you did was incredible . I love how you showed ads from games in local newspapers and magazines :) Your sound and video editing is top stuff. They are such a great venue to learning about Atari's history and culture thru the games it produced .

Thank you! I'm always glad to hear folks find them appealing and informative. I recognize the Atari 2600 as a subject isn't exactly rife for a ton of views so it's always lovely to hear from people who like it!

• 2 weeks later...

Activision's back in the new video, looking at the company's two March 1982 releases Barnstorming and Grand Prix. Two time trial games that were well known at the time for setting a new bar for VCS visual design, the former also sees the debut of Steve Cartwright to the development team at the company! Also debuting this video is the "Crash Watch" feature, where I look at how trade publications were covering the games market in the lead-up to the market implosion (at least, up through March 1982).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2017 at 11:51 AM, ubersaurus said:

Inspired by chronogaming projects about the NES, the Game Boy and other post-crash consoles, I kicked off a video series last month called Atari Archive over on youtube focused on the Atari 2600. It's the first video project I've actually done, but early gaming history is a topic I've been interested in since the 90s, and I'm excited to compile what info I can find (along with interviews from the creators when possible) about each game on the 2600 library (or at least until I get sick of the whole thing). I'm pulling video directly from an unmodded 2600, through an RF demodulator to a Framemeister for that 720p/60fps Youtube video goodness. I figure that's as close as you can get to it looking like it does on a classic CRT on the site.

Take a look if you'd like! I'm attaching a link to the first to videos here, and will probably be updating as I produce new ones.

I can not overstate how much I love this series. I have watched them all and look forward to each release. Not only fun and informative but I believe an important series for gaming history.

THANK YOU for all your hard work on this series!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New episode! It's time for an Imagic show, as the company published its first three games in April 1982: Demon Attack, Star Voyager and Trick Shot. Demon Attack went on to become one of the VCS's best-selling titles, while Trick Shot is the latest in a surprisingly long line of computer pool games; Star Voyager, meanwhile, redefined how a first-person space game could work on the VCS but was overshadowed by Starmaster only a couple short months later. Special thanks to the Video Game History Foundation for scanning the extremely rare first two issues of Logical Gamer (which were used as sources for this video), to Kay Savetz for helping me reach Dennis Koble, and of course, Koble and the late Bob Smith for letting me pick their brains about the games they worked on decades ago.

On 10/13/2023 at 10:07 PM, jeremiahjt said:

Another great episode. As I was watching the review section, I thought of a question. @ubersaurus, do you plan to use any reviews from the TV Guide video game section?

Are any of those online? I haven't seen any, but I'd be happy to loop them in if they're available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 9:02 PM, ubersaurus said:

The book is now available through Limited Run, paperback version to come later this year via Amazon: https://limitedrungames.com/collections/books?q=atari+archive

I'll be getting this in time for Christmas. I'm looking forward to reading it! Do you have a timeline for releasing Volume 2?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

I'll be getting this in time for Christmas. I'm looking forward to reading it! Do you have a timeline for releasing Volume 2?

Alas, not yet! Hoping to sit down with the publisher after the new year and see if we can work out the details - I know they're interested but won't have the bandwidth until then to hash that out. I'd hope for 2025 if all goes smoothly?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

May 1982's the focus of the new Atari Archive. Specifically, the strange coincidence of two games themed around space insects dropping at the same time in Yars' Revenge and Cosmic Swarm. Weirdly, the one that reviewed best is not the one you'd expect!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

We've now reached June 1982, and the pace of releases picks up dramatically from here on through 1984. Kicking things off, however, we have one of the most popular Atari VCS releases: a home conversion of one of the most popular *coin-op* games of all time, Defender! And Chopper Command is here as well, as a Defender clone released the same month. We're delving into their origins and reviews right here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...