IGNORED

Retro-Bit Super Retrocade with Capcom, Data East games

Flojomojo

Those look like the same packs... the only one that may not be up to date is the arcade... it was 900 last week and someone added more today... more Konami goodies.

There will be more Tecmo, Capcom and others coming in the near future as well. However, this link may get the updates too.

I never picked up the GBA/GB and or GBC games so I'm using this link as well. Thanks!

My Super Retro Cade was Super Retro delayed! I'm so disappointed! :( I guess I won't be tasting the sweet fruits of this system until the fourth. At least I've got an SD card prepped for it.

To tell you the truth I was longing to try the NeoGeo section of Mame (by the way this thing runs Mame4droid) and I was underwhelmed.

First for neogeo games do not forget the neogeo.zip (with the BIOS files) or you'll just get a blank screen.

The gfx of this thing on my 1080p TV is pretty soft as if they are upconverting something else (probably that is what happens in the emulator) so it doesn't look as good as it could be and then I noticed some stuttering/frameskip that are not an a real neogeo (I only tried a couple of games mind you).

The neogeo.zip thing made me retry last year RetroBitGen with Neogeo games but it failed again (not sure it expect the BIOS somewhere else or just doesn't plain work) so last year revision (Retrobit Gen)plays most old mame with the exclusion of neogeo and roughly half the CPS2 library, this year revision (Super Retrocade) catches up on Neogeo and CPS2 but it needs more power to do so with reduced stutter/frameskip .... maybe next year if they decide to up their CPU ....

(this year it's basically a quad core ARM A7 32bits .... they need a better CPU maybe with less cores but higher Mhz)

• Like 1

The neogeo.zip thing made me retry last year RetroBitGen with Neogeo games but it failed again (not sure it expect the BIOS somewhere else or just doesn't plain work) so last year revision (Retrobit Gen)plays most old mame with the exclusion of neogeo and roughly half the CPS2 library, this year revision (Super Retrocade) catches up on Neogeo and CPS2 but it needs more power to do so with reduced stutter/frameskip .... maybe next year if they decide to up their CPU ....

(this year it's basically a quad core ARM A7 32bits .... they need a better CPU maybe with less cores but higher Mhz)

A smooth Metal Slug /2 /X is required for for my next retro console. Back to an old laptop with MAME for my Metal Slug fix.

Edited by thetick1

I heard the system runs the vector games in a teeny tiny window, effectively making them impossible to play. If they're not in there, that would probably be why.

If this runs Genesis and Super NES games well, that would be good enough, but nevertheless, that's a little disappointing. I might have to break out the Playstation TV or buy a Raspberry Pi (grumble) to fill whatever gaps this system has in its library. No system is ever perfect for everything, is it?

• Like 2

I'd be more curious about the raster games. Modern compilations pretty well have Atari's vector arcade heritage represented, but even after Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 releases, there's still going to be lots of holes like Sky Raider.

Do the black & white microprocessor based Atari games work? Doesn't seem to be any in the pack, nor any Sega Super Scaler games (Which I'm assuming don't work, although I've never seen anyone say they've tried to run one).

Tested AfterBurner II (which is SuperScaler) and it stutters, the 32X version is better

Just received this in the mail a few hours ago. Some quick thoughts:

* I heard the display was a little blurry even in HDMI, but it's more than just "a little blurry." That was disappointing. It's also off-center on the Samsung monitor in my bedroom, although I haven't tested it on any of the other displays in the house.

* The system is stubbornly resistant to input from anything but the default controllers. I heard some folks were able to get the machine working with adapters, but everything I've thrown at the Super Retrocade either doesn't work or only works partially (the D-pad, specifically). The included controllers seem to be my only option, and while they're not TERRIBLE, their quality is grossly overstated. I would use something else if that option were available to me, but alas.

* I've got a ton of arcade games on this machine using an SD card, and while many of them work, a few do not. You get an instant game over in Astro Blaster, for instance. Some games skip frames, and others don't lend themselves particularly well to the mandatory- ahem, I mean included controllers. I've got a lot of ground left to cover, so I can't provide any conclusive data on which games work and which don't.

* Genesis games function well, which is what I wanted. Everything I've tried seems to run at the proper frame rate. It's still blurry, but maybe I won't notice on a larger screen.

* I'm at a loss as to how I should organize ROMs. Putting games in folders just means that you immediately jump to the first game listed in that folder, and that's not at all what I want. If you put games straight in the Retro Bit Games folder, you can't seem to filter games with the X button. What do?

I dunno, maybe I'm just picky, but so far the best option I've found for emulation is still the classic Xbox. Being stuck with the included controllers and the blurry visuals (yes, even with the original size option picked) kind of hurts this thing's appeal.

Classic Xbox is big, heavy, and tricky to get going. This has price, form factor, and ease of use on its side. But yeah. it's not as solid as ye olden Xbox. I would be at a loss for how to crack one of those nowadays ... I suppose I have the Splinter Cell game and the requisite memory card, but sheesh what a pain it was to jailbreak that thing.

Been playing around with this on a larger television screen. It hates all joysticks but the ones included with the system, but it WILL respond to CRTL+ALT+DEL on a USB keyboard. The Super Retrocade will reset, suggesting that there are other keystrokes that could trigger a diagnostic mode or other functions. I haven't found anything yet, but I haven't been especially thorough.

I'm enjoying the system overall, even with the rigid controller compatibility and the slightly blurry visuals. I do wonder why the person who put together the arcade pack online used so many obscurities (crap even I've never seen before!) and games the hardware just can't handle. Neo-Geo games and later CPS2 games are outside of this machine's scope, in my opinion. Marvel vs Capcom in particular is too choppy to enjoy.

On my spring break, I have been enjoying this device. It is far from perfect, and can also admit that the soft video output is annoying. On the other hand, I can also say that this device has completely nailed the sound for games such as Gauntlet(I am aware of the sound issues for other games). The games from the late 80s to early 90s seem to run the best. I love that you can adjust the screen size, but wish you do more with adjusting the video options. With that being said, this is super easy to setup, and also like that it can be hooked up to a CRT. So many great game memories. I am currently playing an obscure shooter called UFO ROBO Dangar on it.

Those look like the same packs... the only one that may not be up to date is the arcade... it was 900 last week and someone added more today... more Konami goodies.

There will be more Tecmo, Capcom and others coming in the near future as well. However, this link may get the updates too.

I never picked up the GBA/GB and or GBC games so I'm using this link as well. Thanks!

Yep the link has been updated, on 4/4 the arcade pack was revved up with around 60-70 games.

Link repeat direct to the article:

https://www.arcadepunks.com/how-to-add-6500-more-games-to-the-retrobit-retrocade/

On my spring break, I have been enjoying this device. It is far from perfect, and can also admit that the soft video output is annoying. On the other hand, I can also say that this device has completely nailed the sound for games such as Gauntlet(I am aware of the sound issues for other games). The games from the late 80s to early 90s seem to run the best. I love that you can adjust the screen size, but wish you do more with adjusting the video options. With that being said, this is super easy to setup, and also like that it can be hooked up to a CRT. So many great game memories. I am currently playing an obscure shooter called UFO ROBO Dangar on it.

I wish there was a global setting to set the video mode for all the games to "original" at once ....

on another note there's a file generated after you play some Mame games called mame4x.cfg in the SD, it is empty but I wonder if some setup could be persisted there (at least for Mame) and maybe some tweaks too.

We already know it uses libretro for everything else and without the authors permissions at that.

• Like 1

Someone needs to 1) Determine which build of MAME this is using so games can be more easily added, and 2) Open it up to other forms of input. I KNOW this thing recognizes other controllers... I tried plugging in an adapter with a PSOne joystick attached, and while it responds to the buttons, it either recognizes them as null or backs out to the main menu. You can't do much with a USB keyboard, but you CAN force a reset by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL. Pressing the right button on a mouse backs out to the main menu.

Has anyone opened this machine to see what makes it tick? Maybe there's a debug and diagnostic button hidden in the system somewhere, like there was with the Genesis Flashback HD.

• 2 weeks later...